Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

12 hours ago, textaz03 said:

The offseason is officially over!!!! 

Thankfully.

In other news:

I remember liking Dodd coming out of the draft. Better than Shaq Lawson. Funny that neither one has turned into anything.

40 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

If I'm picturing that leaked draft board right in my mind, I believe Dallas was high on Dodd as well. High 2nd rd iirc.

Yeah, that's what I seem to remember as well. Reading more on how he's done since being in the league, sounds like he's a guy who lacks talent and the motor to be anything in the league. 

We have an out on Crawford's contract that saves us $6M if we cut him after 2018. Could this be Lawrence, Irving, and Crawfords last year in Dallas?

Taco, Collins, Ward, and Armstrong may be our line in 2019.

I could see DE, yet again, placed in the 1st round consideration in the draft.

20 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Well next year is the perfect draft for d-line help.

However I'd pay Tank if he has another great deal and move on from Crawford and Irving.

I like Crawford, and would welcome him back on a reworked contract...but if he won't take a reduced salary to stay here, I'd let him go. Irving, as much as I like the guy as a player, just isn't dependable and would be shown the door as well.

Tank's a hard one. I'd love to have him here, especially if he really is starting to flourish...but I also could see us letting him walk...especially if Randy comes on hot.

37 minutes ago, D82 said:

I like Crawford, and would welcome him back on a reworked contract...but if he won't take a reduced salary to stay here, I'd let him go. Irving, as much as I like the guy as a player, just isn't dependable and would be shown the door as well.

Tank's a hard one. I'd love to have him here, especially if he really is starting to flourish...but I also could see us letting him walk...especially if Randy comes on hot.

I think everyone likes Crawford just not at that price. Good motor and versatility.

Regardless of what Randy does this year, it shouldnt affect Tank. As much as I'm rooting for him, 1 setback and his career is done. To me anything Randy gives us is a bonus.

If Tank has another good year and we let our stud 27 in his prime pass rusher go, then we should just invest all our resources on the offense and give up playing defense. Those guys dont grow on trees. 

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We have an out on Crawford's contract that saves us $6M if we cut him after 2018. Could this be Lawrence, Irving, and Crawfords last year in Dallas?

Taco, Collins, Ward, and Armstrong may be our line in 2019.

I could see DE, yet again, placed in the 1st round consideration in the draft.

I highly doubt that. Irving is a goner, but the other two are Boise boys who seem to possess strong character. I just don't see us dumping two starting DEs like that, even with semi-viable options like Taco, Gregory, Armstrong waiting in the wings. Position's just too crucial. Why get rid of both? Unless we go like 5-11 and the new regime wants to blow it up entirely.

Whether or not we trade for and pay Earl Thomas is really the crux of all of this. I tend to think that the primary reason that hasn't happened yet is because of his contract demands, not the draft pick compensation to Seattle. If we do trade for him and make him the highest paid safety ahead of Berry (which I don't think we'd do, but let's just assume), then figuring out deals for Lawrence, Dak, Elliott, etc. becomes much trickier. If not, then they can all stay.

I do think DL is in the mix early next year, I just hope it's DT for once. Datone Jones and Jihad Ward as your starters to open camp is a joke.

37 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

If Tank has another good year, we have to lock him up.  Can't just keep a revolving door of DEs and expect long term success.  

Agree, but assuming the price is going to be what I think it will ($20m+/yr), it's not a slam dunk decision. A lot working in Dallas' favor though. They are in good shape cap wise.

Archived