The legacy of Jeff Fisher

titanrick

I realize a lot of you have strong (and all negative) feelings for Fisher.  I have always thought his time here was more complex than what is mentioned.  This is a great article about the man and whether you hated him or not, I think it's a worthwhile read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757224-the-legacy-of-jeff-fisher-controversial-complexand-not-yet-fully-written

That was an interesting read. I never paid much attention to him in STL but it does make you wonder if his record in STL would've been different if they hadn't been going through all the moving/rumors of moving and if he could've gotten an OC that would've changed his fortunes. As much as I disliked Fisher towards the end of his career here, he did great things for this franchise and I will try and always remember the good years instead of the bad with him.

I think a certain time came when his way of playing football was no longer championship football. Even today, when we think about the Patriots and their dominance, most of us probably think about Tom Brady and their short passing game, but when it all started they were very much a defensive football team. The term "defense wins championships" used to reign true. 

Now defense and a running game gets you 8-8/9-7 if you don't pass the ball before you need to.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I think a certain time came when his way of playing football was no longer championship football. Even today, when we think about the Patriots and their dominance, most of us probably think about Tom Brady and their short passing game, but when it all started they were very much a defensive football team. The term "defense wins championships" used to reign true. 

Now defense and a running game gets you 8-8/9-7 if you don't pass the ball before you need to.

Ravens, Bucs, Seahawks, (early) Pats, Steelers.  We've definitely had our share of good defensive SB champs.  

I'll always appreciate Fisher... I was there from the before the start of his tenure... Glanville, Pardee, Buddy... the mess in Houston... the move to TN... no home stadium.  He kept us standing through all that mess... then experienced success once things came together.  He put some good teams together... and all of this in spite of Bud.  

I think the article pointed out how good he was when he had a competent OC along with a healthy QB. 

He always assembled good talent. And was open to creative staff hires. 

Fisher's time here for me was respected. Best times this franchise has seen. 

12 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Ravens, Bucs, Seahawks, (early) Pats, Steelers.  We've definitely had our share of good defensive SB champs.  

I'll always appreciate Fisher... I was there from the before the start of his tenure... Glanville, Pardee, Buddy... the mess in Houston... the move to TN... no home stadium.  He kept us standing through all that mess... then experienced success once things came together.  He put some good teams together... and all of this in spite of Bud.  

That's another thing I will always sort of wonder, and it will go both ways. If VY had gone to a team where coach/GM/owner were all on board with wanting him, how might his career had been different? And same with Fisher. If VY wasn't forced on him by Bud, what direction would the team have gone in under Fisher? Would it have been Leinart or someone different? No one will ever know, but fun to speculate sometimes

7 hours ago, tntitans4life17 said:

That's another thing I will always sort of wonder, and it will go both ways. If VY had gone to a team where coach/GM/owner were all on board with wanting him, how might his career had been different? And same with Fisher. If VY wasn't forced on him by Bud, what direction would the team have gone in under Fisher? Would it have been Leinart or someone different? No one will ever know, but fun to speculate sometimes

People can say what they want about Fisher, but I highly doubt he didn't try his hardest(at the start) to make VY work. VY just didn't have the mentality to make it work. VY was a mental midget and that was his downfall.

Fisher was the same guy who worked with McNair through all of his issues with wanting to quit/dealing poorly with the fan's comments, etc in 99 and 00, and this was before Steve was some MVP caliber player, and we had shown we could have success with other QBs(O'Donnell going 5-1 overall as a starter in 99, 7.1 ypa, 10-5 td/int ratio, O'Donnell threw 10 TD passes in 5 starts when McNair only threw 12 in 11, McNair's YPA was only 6.6, etc).

VY is the only person to blame for his failure.

Yeah, I was basically obsessed with VY at the time. Thought he'd be a HOFer and multiple SB winner.

"Mental midget" is the best way to describe him. Didn't want to work hard, didn't know how to overcome adversity, etc. Has nobody to blame but himself.

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

People can say what they want about Fisher, but I highly doubt he didn't try his hardest(at the start) to make VY work. VY just didn't have the mentality to make it work. VY was a mental midget and that was his downfall.

Fisher was the same guy who worked with McNair through all of his issues with wanting to quit/dealing poorly with the fan's comments, etc in 99 and 00, and this was before Steve was some MVP caliber player, and we had shown we could have success with other QBs(O'Donnell going 5-1 overall as a starter in 99, 7.1 ypa, 10-5 td/int ratio, O'Donnell threw 10 TD passes in 5 starts when McNair only threw 12 in 11, McNair's YPA was only 6.6, etc).

Yes. McNair was booed a lot. They wanted him out. But he didn't fold. Fisher helped guide him. 

Fisher had some conservative offenses. But he did that because he wanted the defense to carry the team and it did. In that version of the NFL, offenses weren't built like it is now. Defense could do a lot more to the offense. 

I can't blame him for thinking that was the best way to win in the league, because it was....

He was not the worst coach ever to do it. He is the viticm of a narrative getting stuck on him. 7-9 and 8-8 was his record one too many times. 

He was good for the franchise. 

16 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I have zero doubts Fisher didn't do everything he could to make VY succeed. That would have gotten him fired much earlier than he was. VY's issues were his own and he is the reason for his failures, you are correct. I wonder much more about the direction the team would have gone if Fisher wasn't forced into VY rather than how VY would've done had he landed elsewhere.

Looking at the team and the draft from that 2005-2006 season, I wonder if Fisher would've gone with AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, or Vernon Davis. We could've used any one of those 3. Leinart and Cutler were obviously there as well. Would love to know what Fisher's draft board looked like going into that draft lol.

40 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

I have zero doubts Fisher didn't do everything he could to make VY succeed. That would have gotten him fired much earlier than he was. VY's issues were his own and he is the reason for his failures, you are correct. I wonder much more about the direction the team would have gone if Fisher wasn't forced into VY rather than how VY would've done had he landed elsewhere.

Looking at the team and the draft from that 2005-2006 season, I wonder if Fisher would've gone with AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, or Vernon Davis. We could've used any one of those 3. Leinart and Cutler were obviously there as well. Would love to know what Fisher's draft board looked like going into that draft lol.

The story that I've always heard is Bud wanted VY, Fisher wanted Cutler, and Reese wanted Leinart.

Archived