Big Ben wants new deal is BIG news

Money

19 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so there goes our cap, or will a new deal for Ben save us some cap space? 

I think it would save us money in year 1.    Not a ton, but I could see us extending him 3 years and his 2018 cap hit could be cut down $3 or 4 million.   

this offseason is going to be really busy for the FO. Whatever they do, lets hope this works out in the next few years.  Right now I want the D to get fixed, but if they decide to try and outscore teams, then thats what we have to get used to.  I prefer good defensive football. People really liked the SB this year, but while I liked a few plays and who won, I found the game uninteresting since neither team could stop the other most of the game. 

If I were the front office, I wouldnt even resign Ben this year.   I would wait until next offseason to see where he is at.    

They usually dont give out new contracts until a player only has one year left, anyway.   I realize Ben is a special case, but I would still play it that way.   Do we really want to give him 60m more in guarantees only to watch him fall off a cliff this coming season?   Not saying that would happen, but he could regress.      Even though I never believed him, he is the same guy who talked about retirement seriously a year ago, and NOW, he wants to play another 3-5 years?     

Im not against keeping him longer, but Id wait until 2019 to see where we are at as a team and where he is at as a player.

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If I were the front office, I wouldnt even resign Ben this year.   I would wait until next offseason to see where he is at.    

They usually dont give out new contracts until a player only has one year left, anyway.   I realize Ben is a special case, but I would still play it that way.   Do we really want to give him 60m more in guarantees only to watch him fall off a cliff this coming season?   Not saying that would happen, but he could regress.      Even though I never believed him, he is the same guy who talked about retirement seriously a year ago, and NOW, he wants to play another 3-5 years?     

Im not against keeping him longer, but Id wait until 2019 to see where we are at as a team and where he is at as a player.

I wouldn't be any in any rush to extend the guy who was mulling retirement publicly last year, but at the same time they long since adopted the policy of dealing with QB contracts 2 years out. They've just never dealt with a franchise QB of his age before with the cap.

But Ben can't just get a mulligan for all the retirement talk of last year because now he wants to say he'll play longer.

3 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I wouldn't be any in any rush to extend the guy who was mulling retirement publicly last year, but at the same time they long since adopted the policy of dealing with QB contracts 2 years out. They've just never dealt with a franchise QB of his age before with the cap.

But Ben can't just get a mulligan for all the retirement talk of last year because now he wants to say he'll play longer.

Agreed. A player of his age can change their minds on the drop of a dime in regards to retirement. It's not that big of a deal when it's a player who's not receiving huge money, but I'm reluctant to give something like a three-year extension with 60 million in guarantees to a guy who's already been considering retirement.

You jut extend w/o a lot of guaranteed money. You tell him you've have talked about retiring so the guaranteed is lower. You made your bed. Now lie in it. Surely there are contracts that the guaranteed is voided if the player retires. I like Ben but I'd take a hard line on this one. 

On 2/8/2018 at 11:29 PM, Chieferific said:

You jut extend w/o a lot of guaranteed money. You tell him you've have talked about retiring so the guaranteed is lower. You made your bed. Now lie in it. Surely there are contracts that the guaranteed is voided if the player retires. I like Ben but I'd take a hard line on this one. 

You kind of have to.

And if he wants to win as opposed to just make more money, he should think about taking somewhat of a discounted contract.   Not saying take an extreme amount less, but he shouldnt be asking for $30m a year either.   If he does, its clear he is only coming back for the money, and while Im not going to knock on a player for squeezing every last penny they can out of the NFL, at this point, he has already made an insane amount, and he needs to choose what he values more at this point....his money or his legacy.

He's got 2 years, $46.4 million remaining on his contract.

Here's my personal solution:

Tack on 3 years, so it's now a 5 year deal 2018-2023 (I know that goes past when he likely retires).  Guarantee the remaining $46.4 million on the current contract, and make that out over the next 3 years.  That give him $15,466,666 guaranteed each year.  Add $62 million in new money, with some lock in date around training camp.

Year 1: $17,466,666 guaranteed; $7,000,000 base salary

Year 2: $15,466,666 guaranteed; $8,000,000 base salary

Year 3: $15,466,666 guaranteed; $7,000,000 base salary

Year 4: $20,000,000 salary; gives $2million ($5million if he plays 15 games in year 3) guaranteed if he is on the roster past the start of the new league year; splits 50/50 guaranteed on August 1st

Year 5: $18,000,000 salary; gives $1million ($3million if he plays 15 games in year 4) guaranteed if he is on the roster past the start of the new league year; splits 60/40 guaranteed on August 1st

Now; his salary declines each year, which only makes sense for both sides.  He's getting $1mil more this year, but overall he ends up making less per year.  Changing it like this actually doesn't really hurt our cap as much, as the guaranteed part is only $2mil more than what the remainder of his current contract is.  So there's his incentive for taking less money.  Percentage of the contract wise, that's one of the highest guarantees (Total "new" contract would be $108 mil over 5 years almost 50% guaranteed).  Since he will be much much older in the final 2 years (I think thats age 38 and 39 years); he gets something if he's on the roster past the start of the new league year, but if he decides to retire right after that, we get huge cap savings.  Then on his side for that, if he's here for camp; he gets rewarded that the money becomes mostly guaranteed.  Increased guaranteed money if he makes a certain number of games in the previous year.

Archived