Cleveland Selects...

Shady Slim

so here's a hypothetical, you are the browns (please stay it gets better from here!!) and you are navigating through the draft and free agency period

you have got two first rounders and so much cap space

what do you do?

personally i don't take a quarterback in the first round - neither darnold or rosen is even the best quarterback in the draft - and they aren't going to take the one who is in mayfield - and so i take saquon with the first overall and either minkah or chubb with the fourth. if minkah and chubb aren't available with the fourth i'd consider flipping it to some qb needy team for like, all of their firsts, but i don't see a scenario where one of them isn't on the board

and then i snag cousins in free agency on a mammoth contract, and make a play for jarvis landry too 

so how about you FF?

10 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

so here's a hypothetical, you are the browns (please stay it gets better from here!!) and you are navigating through the draft and free agency period

you have got two first rounders and so much cap space

what do you do?

personally i don't take a quarterback in the first round - neither darnold or rosen is even the best quarterback in the draft - and they aren't going to take the one who is in mayfield - and so i take saquon with the first overall and either minkah or chubb with the fourth. if minkah and chubb aren't available with the fourth i'd consider flipping it to some qb needy team for like, all of their firsts, but i don't see a scenario where one of them isn't on the board

and then i snag cousins in free agency on a mammoth contract, and make a play for jarvis landry too 

so how about you FF?

so rumors have it mcloughanahaieng or whatever loves mayfield, but dorsey wont take him at 1

but i highly doubt hes gonna be taken at 1
its either gonna be

signed in offseason
McCarron (if he wins his arbitration) or some joker like Chase Daniel

plan a:
darnold and maybe minkah at 4 or chubb if he's still there and cleveland is saved
or
plan b:
bradley chubb and baker mayfield at 4 and cleveland burns to the ground

let it be known i dont care if they take mayfield but if a qb isnt the first overall selection, cleveland will burn to the ground

Just now, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Why use the #1 pick, which only gets you 1 player, when you can trade it for a haul that nets several players? It's simple math. 

The Browns do this every year and it screws them over every year. Doing it again will make them look like idiots.

32 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Why use the #1 pick, which only gets you 1 player, when you can trade it for a haul that nets several players? It's simple math. 

Depends on the situation. If you have depth (and the Browns do have some, as they've hoarded picks over the years), it may be best to use that first pick on the draft instead of trading it.

If you need a total rebuild, and you don't like what's out there, then trade out. If you like the pick, take it.

There is no one way to "win" in the offseason (and if that's confusing...just because you made a pick with 1.1 does not mean you are guaranteed to be a loser/can't win the Superbowl the upcoming season)!!

Cleveland Selects...

....to give up and move the team to Canada.

In all seriousness, the Browns are in a tough spot this year due to bad timing of all this. They already have some solid players on the defensive side of the ball and plenty of money to play around with. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that with just a few good "starter pieces" - for lack of a better term - on offense, they could potentially be looking at a 7 or even 8 win season to go along with a pretty bright future. I know, I know, we hear this every year. 

The trouble with all this is that one of those missing pieces still happens to be the QB position during a year where their options in FA are looking pretty limited and I'm not particularly sold on the QB class this season either. Save for MAYBE Mayfield, if he ever grows up but Hue Jackson/Todd Haley are CERTAINLY not the best coaches to go for maturity rehabilitation. That's for damn sure.

So what's the next best move??? Imo, they should reach into FA and go get a serviceable QB to hold you over until next season. Save the draft picks, but not use any early rounds on a QB. Instead use those picks to fill the other holes on offense and begin to solidify the offensive line and skill positions so that your almost all set after Jackson gets fired next year and you begin fresh with a new a HC and a new QB that you draft next year.

Chubb. If him and Garrett turn out as good as they should, unblockable. 

I don’t like any of these QBs except Jackson, kinda. If I can’t get Cousins or Foles I guess I’d take him at 4. Way too high but I’m getting fired if I don’t turn this around so no choice really 

If I can get Cousins or Foles. Try to get another haul for 4. If I can’t probably take Roquan Smith 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

The Browns do this every year and it screws them over every year. Doing it again will make them look like idiots.

uh, they selected myles garrett at 1 last year.

they had 3 first round picks last year

one of their trade downs netted them the 4th overall pick this year

8 minutes ago, mistakey said:

uh, they selected myles garrett at 1 last year.

they had 3 first round picks last year

one of their trade downs netted them the 4th overall pick this year

They could of had Deshaun Watson last year and Carson Wentz the year before that. These guys are studs for the next decade.

Archived