Fixing the ILB...

MDSteeler1971

15 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Derrick Johnson will hit FA does he have enough left and can we afford him?

I think that we could.  He is not as fast or quick as he once was, but a very smart and disciplined ILB. He would be third on my list of seasoned vets (over 28). I would still prefer these aging vets before him:

1. Navarro Bowman

2. Lawrence Timmons if cut by Miami

3. Derrick Johnson.

4. Carlos Dansby

23 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe we can sign Timmons, draft an athlete like Fred Warner from BYU, then sign Mosley next year and ditch WIlliams and Timmons. Mosley and Warner should be a salty tandem of ILB's. I doubt we'll be able to afford Mosley, though. Bruh's gonna get PAAAAAAAAAID. 

I don't know much about Fred Warner. I will add him to my list of prospects to study.  Right now I am looking at two guys from  the state of South Carolina.  Skai Moore from the University of South Carolina and Darius Leonard from SC State. Do you or anyone else have any opinions on these guys yet? Moore is very athletic, but is coming off a season ending disk/neck injury in 2016.  He does have 14 INT's from his LB position. He is not nearly as fast as Shazier, but he seems to have a knack for the ball.  Seems slow in reading/diagnosing some plays.  I have watched a few games and his highlight reel so far. I don't put as much stock in the highlight reel, but his ability to drop is very good.  I am wondering how that neck/disc is though.

I first noticed Darius Leonard in the Senior Bowl and it made me do some research on him as well. Still looking at film when I get some time as well. So far, he seems quicker than fast, but I like his movement and ability to drop.  There are some coach-able things that I see like not letting defenders get to his body and at times seems a bit slow diagnosing the play, but he flows pretty well when he sees it.  He often will get caught up in the trash (blockers and bodies) due to taking poor angles or slow diagnosis.  However, he seems pretty good at staying in his area and responsibility from what I have seen so far.  It also may account for some of the slow reads as he stays home.  Looks like he has the skills to be an effective NFL LB as well. 

I have seen Iowa play a few times and I like the Outlaw Josie Jewell.  He seems like a Tyler Matakevich type.  Hard for me not to like those guys, but not sure about his quickness and speed for the NFL game.  I really wish Tyler hadn't got hurt so that we could have seen what he could do at ILB.  He is probably our most instinctive and heady ILB on the roster at present.  Does he have the quickness and recovery speed to be effective as a starter or role player in the NFL?

58 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Jewell will time better than expected at the combine. Everyone stereotypes Iowa players into heady, football guys who are slow and unathletic when in reality they usually have decent athletes. 

I agree with you there MOSteelers. I just was saying that Jewell doesn't remind me of Shazier or Smith running.  I hope that he has some straight line speed and more importantly the quick feet needed to play the position.

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that we could.  He is not as fast or quick as he once was, but a very smart and disciplined ILB. He would be third on my list of seasoned vets (over 28). I would still prefer these aging vets before him:

1. Navarro Bowman

2. Lawrence Timmons if cut by Miami

3. Derrick Johnson.

4. Carlos Dansby

Navarro Bowman would be an excellent signing.

29 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree with you there MOSteelers. I just was saying that Jewell doesn't remind me of Shazier or Smith running.  I hope that he has some straight line speed and more importantly the quick feet needed to play the position.

Plus, instincts play a huge role in ILB play. If he can feel where the play is going he can get there a step sooner. 

45 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Davis is on my list of candidates as well. Who are some players you are looking at in the draft to fit the second part?

Truthfully I’m very behind on my draft stuff this year...need to look into certain positions after combine. From what little I’ve done, I like Warner but be needs a year of development. Perfect guy to take in 2nd or 3rd and have ready for 2019...struggles in run game.

FWIW, with how stacked rb is this draft...I wouldn’t sign or tag Bell. Use the $$$ on defensive help.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Truthfully I’m very behind on my draft stuff this year...need to look into certain positions after combine. From what little I’ve done, I like Warner but be needs a year of development. Perfect guy to take in 2nd or 3rd and have ready for 2019...struggles in run game.

FWIW, with how stacked rb is this draft...I wouldn’t sign or tag Bell. Use the $$$ on defensive help.

Thanks for the feedback. I hear a lot of people say that they would let Bell go. He is a complete back and won't be easy to replace.  He is probably the best pass catcher out of the backfield and probably the best RB at reading and picking up the blitz.  I don't always like his hesitation style, but he is still a top five runner. Add all of that up and you have arguably the best and most complete RB in football. Ezekiel Elliot might be a better pure runner and can catch extremely well, but he can't pick up the blitz as Bell consistently does. Todd Gurley may compete as a runner and receiver, but again, Bell's blitz pick up and blocking are uncanny. I say pay him between $15 and $16 million for a few seasons.  It is a lot  but I think he is worth it in our quest for #7 and #8.

With our defensive needs, I would prefer a few free agent plug ins, but I still believe that you build through the draft.  ILB, FS/SS and NG would be my priorities in free agency. If I can get two of those three through free agency and draft another ILB and FS/SS. I would feel pretty good about our defense improving going into 2018.  Yes having that $15 - $16 million to play with makes it easier to sign a more marquee free agent, but I am not so sure any rookie RB can come in and keep our offense churning with what Bell offers. No disrespect to Kamera and Hunt who both had monster years. Can they do it again? I know Bell can!

Archived