February Mock Draft / 3 QBs in the Top 5 and 4 Trades

zappa13004

I like to discuss so do not hesitate to explain why you like/dislike picks.

1- Browns : Sam Darnold QB USC
Rosen is a better passer but Darnold has better mobility in the pocket and a better body to absorb hits.

2- Browns : Saquon Barkley RB Penn St
Trade : #4 + #35
Both Giants and Colts will have interest in Barkley so with a ton of picks the Browns could give a high one as "Shaqon" is not a RB but a special one.

3- Broncos : Josh Rosen QB UCLA
Trade : #5 + #40
The Broncos missed on Cousins and Foles so they jump over the Giants to take their QB.

4- Giants : Josh Allen QB Wyoming
This guy has all the tools and learning two years behind Eli will benefit his overall game.

5- Colts : Bradley Chubb DE Nc St
In their rebuilding process the Colts add an extra 2nd round pick and still pick their guy.

6- Jets : Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama
I know it isn't the most popular prediction but i see Kirk Cousins going to NY with a green jersey on. 
Fitzpatrick played CB with Alabama, not safety.

7- Buccs : Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
Davenport was good in Mobile and as they need help on the Dline, he could be the pick even if he is raw. Comp' aren't always good i know, this guy makes me think of Aldon Smith coming out of Mizzou.

8- Bears : Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
I know some do not see him as a 34 ILB, me i do. He has great size and good cover skills and i believe he can play 43 OLB or 34 ILB and have success in both schemes.

9- 49ers : Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
Jimmy G and his RBs will agree with that selection.

10- Raiders : Roquan Smith LB Georgia
Id like Vita Vea here. But Smith and his speed will be a terrific WLB making plays after plays.

11- Dolphins : Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma
Gase wasn't happy with his offense and it started upfront. Brown is massive and could man the right side of that line.

12- Bengals : Vita Vea DT Washington
Vea is big and can plug the middle freeing more space for Atkins inside. He also has pass rush abilities as he is athletic for a man of his size. He is a much better prospect than any Olineman available at this point.

13- Redskins : Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
New toy for their new QB. He can stretch the field and run nice routes.

14- Packers : Denzel Ward CB Ohio St
Not tall like their previous selection of King. Josh Jackson is bigger but his glue skills on coverage makes him the best of that class.

15- Cardinals : Courtland Sutton WR SMU
Assuming they signed Nick Foles (and gave-up their 2nd round pick to the Eagles). Fitzgerald will call it a career (now or one year from now), both Browns are FAs. So Sutton would be welcome there.

16- Bills : Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
Trade : #21 + #56
Mayfield has plenty of arm talent. He is accurate. He is mobile in a Russ Wilson way as he is always looking to pass when extending plays.
He is a leader and his fighting mentality would match very well with McDermott and the fan base.
Some will disagree of course, to me that is a perfect fit/match.
Sure the trade is about the Chargers as they could be interested in grooming a QB behind Rivers.

17- Chargers : Daron Payne DT Alabama
Upgrade over Liuget to improve their run defense.

18- Seahawks : Derwin James S Florida St
They certainly could use a G like Wynn or help at RT but Derwin James is too good at this point to pass.

19- Cowboys : Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
Undersized but disruptive player inside.

20- Lions : Harold Landry DE Boston College
Quick first step. Hyder will come back and probably Ansah ? But theyd still need some Dline help. His DC would be his former HC in this scenario.

21- Ravens : Billy Price C Ohio St
They can keep Skura at center but Price is way better than him.
Not to mention Yanda is 33 and has only one more year on his contract so i would not be surprised to see the Ravens go early on interior Oline help.

22- Bills : Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
Versatile LB who can rush the passer or chase the RBs.

23- Rams : Arden Key OLB LSU
Ebukam is playing nicely for a 4th round pick but they need another option with Barwin leaving.

24- Panthers : James Washington WR Oklahoma St
I think they could go D with a S or a DE but i bet Norv Turner will put pressure to get a guy who fits his vertical offense.

25- Titans : Sam Hubbard OLB Ohio St
Mike Vrabel didn't know him at Ohio St but sure he has "inside" on him and i bet he would like to have him on his defense.

26- Falcons : Harrison Phillips DT Stanford
Physical. Thats the way i see Dan Quinn's defense and Phillips can play physical.

27- Saints : Jerome Baker LB Ohio St
With Klein, Teo and Anzalone the Saints have yet a nice LB corp but they lack someone with speed and coverage skills. Baker has it. I guess than mid-March he'll be in many 1st round mocks.

28- Steelers :  Darius Leonard LB South Carolina St

So sorry for Shazier but they need immediate help inside. If/when Shazier comes back it would be all about speed with those two.

29- Jaguars : Mike McGlinchey OL Notre Dame
The left side works great with Robinson-Omaneh-Linder but the right side, though not bad, could use upgrades. McGlinchey can play RT or RG for them.

30- Vikings : Will Hernandez G UTEP
Run blocker to keep helping Dalvin Cook's development.

31- Patriots : Josh Jackson CB Iowa
Now thats for sure, Malcolm Butler will play elsewhere in 2018.

32- Eagles : Malik Jefferson LB Texas
Whats nice with Jefferson is he seems to be versatile enough to play all 3 43 LBs positions. Preferably outside but with incertainty about Hicks, Bradham and Kendricks for various reasons, he would make lots of sense.

30 minutes ago, zappa13004 said:

28- Steelers : Isaiah Wynn G Georgia
I bet you never saw that pick elsewhere. I also bet some Steelers' fans will reply "theres a reason why dude" !
Is the draft also about preparing the future ? Foster is 32 and only has one year left on his contract. Wynn is the future inside and as he has experience at tackle he would add injury's insurance in 2018.
I like Malik Jefferson but i think he'll be better in a 43.

They have a gapping hole at ILB and a need at safety.  OG is a luxury pick that they can't afford in the 1st.  Not saying that they might to take a OG in the draft but perhaps the 5th round.

The way your draft fell I could see a couple of scenarios. 

#1 Jets trade up to get Lamarr Jackson.  All depends on your view of what they do in the off season.  Steelers would net a 2 and a 4 for the pick.

#2 The Steelers pick Ronnie Harrison.  I think the safeties in the draft are top heavy.  Get them early or not at all.

#3 LVE  Depends on how you see LVE as a ILB.

#3b  Darius Leonard - That might blow people's mind.  All depends on how you see the ILBs in the draft.

I do like your trades at the top.  That is how I see this draft playing out.  Perhaps not the same teams but people will move up for a QB.

First I like the pick for the Cardinals, I see Sutton as the best receiver in this class. However as time goes by I’m not sure Philadelphia let’s Foles go. Not sure Wentz will be ready at the beginning of the season. If it happens I’m ok with it. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Steelers pick Ronnie Harrison.

Ive just opened the site to add some words to the Steelers pick : For now i do not see a clear top safety. I see some good ones like Reid, Harrison or Elliott but worthing a 1st round pick ? Not sure for now, im waiting for the combine..

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Darius Leonard

YES ! forgot about that guy ! I really like him and i think he is a 1st round pick. I change the Steelers'pick immediately. That guy is rock solid !

2 minutes ago, Smhx2519 said:

Not sure Wentz will be ready at the beginning of the season.

Right. But like Cousins to the Jets that is only predictions. The Eagles do not have 2nd and 3rd round picks ! So the bet is they'll want to have a pick on friday.

26 minutes ago, Danish49ers said:

Q.Nelson is intriguing at #9, but he is not the best fit for 49ers outside zone scheme that Shanahan wants to run.

Roquan Smith or Denzel Ward would also make sense...

Do you think they could bypass a very good prospect at a position of need for a scheme fit ? Thats a real question i ask, you know that team better than me.

For Cleveland - We end up getting Darnold and Barkley but are you sure that giants wouldn't just pick Rosen and call it a day while Indy trades back? Barkley could easily be sitting there at #4 without having to use our #35 pick. Then again, we get the best QB and Barkley. I'm happy with that. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

5 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

are you sure that giants wouldn't just pick Rosen

No. I am sure of nothing :) But what i know is the Giants are in a great position to take their QB of the future. But i also know they could take a special offensive player in Barkley to put him next to OBJ and Eli's last two seasons.

7 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

while Indy trades back

In this scenario Cousins goes to the Jets (but also works with him going in Denver) : Lets assume the Browns go QB #1, the Giants QB #2 and the Jets have yet their QB. Why the Broncos would offer a trade to Indy ? Browns won't take a QB at #4 so they wait for Josh Allen/Baker Mayfield to be available at #5. Same for the Jets if Cousins sign with the Broncos.

9 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

we get the best QB and Barkley

In a "normal" year id understand than loosing a high second round pick is painful...But with 3 of them, do u really want to take the risk to see Barkley not playing in Cleveland ?

6 minutes ago, zappa13004 said:

No. I am sure of nothing :) But what i know is the Giants are in a great position to take their QB of the future. But i also know they could take a special offensive player in Barkley to put him next to OBJ and Eli's last two seasons.

In this scenario Cousins goes to the Jets (but also works with him going in Denver) : Lets assume the Browns go QB #1, the Giants QB #2 and the Jets have yet their QB. Why the Broncos would offer a trade to Indy ? Browns won't take a QB at #4 so they wait for Josh Allen/Baker Mayfield to be available at #5. Same for the Jets if Cousins sign with the Broncos.

In a "normal" year id understand than loosing a high second round pick is painful...But with 3 of them, do u really want to take the risk to see Barkley not playing in Cleveland ?

1 - I'm not sure of anything else at this point. We'll know a lot more in the middle of March. 

2 - Very true. Didn't know you had jetz getting Cousins. That puts a turd in the punch bowl. 

3 - This doesn't seem like a normal year. This draft class is deep on all fronts. I didn't say it was a bad trade. I was just looking for ways to cheat the system, get both players and still have the #35. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Not a fan of the Falcons pick in Phillips as i don't think he is a 1st round quality player and wouldn't take him over 2 guys in Taven Bryan or Mike Mcglinchy who i consider 1st round top 25 or so players that are positions of need for us.   Phillips to me is a mid 2nd to early 3rd round guy and i have a few DT's in front of him honestly.   If we go Bryan in round 1 then i would go OG in round 2.   If we go Mcglinchy in round 1 i would go with Phillips or Settle in round 2.

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Not a fan of the Falcons pick in Phillips as i don't think he is a 1st round quality player and wouldn't take him over 2 guys in Taven Bryan or Mike Mcglinchy who i consider 1st round top 25 or so players that are positions of need for us.   Phillips to me is a mid 2nd to early 3rd round guy and i have a few DT's in front of him honestly.   If we go Bryan in round 1 then i would go OG in round 2.   If we go Mcglinchy in round 1 i would go with Phillips or Settle in round 2.

I liked him with Stanford and at the SeniorBowl i thought than he is very active and physical. For now i see him as a better player than Taven Bryan and a legit 1st round pick. There is time left tokeep evaluate, we'll see..

Archived