Mock Free Agency and Draft

Silver_Lining

2018 Miami Dolphins Mock Free Agency & Draft

Image result for miami dolphins logo

I always enjoy the offseason for the Miami Dolphins. Somehow “next year is our year” feelings come over me and as a FINatic I fantasize of the Dream Team that will bring the trophy back to Miami.

Players come and go and I’m always sad because I cheered for them for so long. Trading Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a mere 4th round pick stung. Now he has a Super Bowl ring. Good for him. Jarvis Landry is about to become a very rich man in another city. Good for him, too. I can only hope GM Grier and HC Gase have a plan. I, for one, have yet to see them adapt when the plan goes awry. But I can hope…

So, to all other FINatics and players that have served us well… Cheers

Free Agency

The Dolphins have low cap space which currently sits at $7.4 million.

Right Tackle Ja’wuan James is on his last year of his contract and he is set to make $9 million. Reworking his contract through an extension to save $3 million this year would be nice.

Tight End Julius Thomas underproduced last year. He looked slow on routes and weak as a blocker. Releasing him would save $6 million.

The Dolphins should bring back some of their players set to hit free agency. With Julius Thomas leaving, keeping veteran leadership in Tight End film room is important. Resigning Anthony Fasano to a 1 year, $3 million contract would resolve that and bring a solid blocker back to our run game. Free Safety Michael Thomas is a special teams captain and solid depth in the secondary. A 3 year, $7.5 million contract would keep his leadership in the locker room. Long Snapper John Denney and Kicker Cody Parkey played well last year, too and have been consistent throughout their careers. They receive 2 years, $3 million each.

Sign Wide Receiver Taylor Gabriel to a 4 year, $24 million contract. He will replace “The Juice” and bring experience from the Super Bowl contending Atlanta Falcons.

Image result for taylor gabriel

Draft

1st Round (11)

Quenton “Headlock” Nelson      G             6’5”        325 lbs.                Notre Dame

Nelson is a big man! The Dolphins could use his toughness to open up lanes in the run game and protect Quarterback Ryan Tannehill from another injury.

Image result for quenton nelson

2nd Round (42)

Nick “The Chub” Chubb                RB           5’10”     220 lbs.                Georgia

He is a solid rock, “rolling and tumbling” through running lanes. He would compliment the “slicing and dicing” of Kenyan Drake well.

Image result for nick chubb

3rd Round (74)

Jessie “Bait” Bates III                     FS           6’2”        195 lbs.                 Wake Forest

The Dolphins struggled picking off opposing quarterbacks last year. Bates is a rangy free safety that will work well next to Pro Bowl Strong Safety Reshad Jones.

Image result for jessie bates

4th Round (107)

Troy “Achilles” Fumagalli                            TE           6’5”        248 lbs.                 Wisconsin

Fumagalli is a tough, bruising tight end who catches the ball well despite only having 9 fingers! He blocks well in the run game, too, and could seal the edge for more exciting Drake runs.

Image result for troy fumagalli

4th Round (126)

Mike “The Great” White                              QB          6’3”        215 lbs.                 Western Kentucky

White is a small school prospect with a big arm. Tannehill needs a solid back up with Quarterback Matt Moore leaving in free agency.

Image result for mike white wku

6th Round (169)

Jason “The Separator” Cabinda                 LB           6’1”        232 lbs.                 Penn State

Cabinda is solid tackler and plays hard in the run. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons would be a good mentor for him.

Image result for jason cabinda

7th Round (197)

Toby “Thunderhead” Weathersby           RT           6’5”        295 lbs.                 LSU

Weathersby is a bulky right tackle with big game experience. He would add depth behind James and replace Veteran Sam Young.

Image result for toby weathersby

7th Round (203)

Demetrius “The Cage” Cooper   DE           6’4”        253 lbs.                Michigan State

Cooper has the size and explosion to be effective on the edge. He would replace veteran Defensive End William Hayes and provide depth behind Cameron Wake, Andre Branch, and Charles Harris.

Image result for demetrius cooper

Undrafted Free Agency

Ross Dwelley                     TE           6’5”        240 lbs.                San Diego

Trayvon Henderson       SS           6’0”        200 lbs.                Hawaii

Christian Lacotoure         DL           6’5”        292 lbs.                LSU

Skyler Phillips                   OL           6’2”        314 lbs.                Idaho State

D’Montre Wade               CB           6’0”        200 lbs.                Murray State

The Dolphins will need depth on their roster to fill out the special teams. Safety Walt Aikens and Defensive Lineman Terrence Fede are Free Agents and may not be back.

Thanks, guys. I really believe these guys would look great in a Dolphins Uniform.

FINS UP!

If Fumagalli lasted into the 4th round, it would be a miracle. With the weak free agent class in TE's teams needing help will have to turn to the draft. Fumagalli is going to go in the second round. He is one of only a handful of large TE's that can both block, and catch.

27 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

If Fumagalli lasted into the 4th round, it would be a miracle. With the weak free agent class in TE's teams needing help will have to turn to the draft. Fumagalli is going to go in the second round. He is one of only a handful of large TE's that can both block, and catch.

You're probably right. I have 4 TEs ranked in Day 2 to Early Day 3 (Andrews, Hurst, Fumagalli, Goedert). I think Fumagalli could last to the late 3rd round. The Dolphins would be in striking distance of trading up from the first 4th rounder if needed.

28 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

If Nelson somehow made it to us at 11, that would be fantastic.  But most seem to think he's a top 6-7 pick, even though he's a Guard.  

I believe he could be. Like you said, he's a Guard. They rarely go in the top 10. He's a solid prospect, though and a lot of teams know it. He's not making it past Cincinnati at #12.

5 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I'd target Alabama's punter JK Scott  in Day 3. He could be a huge upgrade.

Scott is really good! I could see him going in the 5th round. We would have to trade up to nab him. Adam Gase really likes left-footed punters, though, and he had a man-crush on Matt Haack as a rookie. I preferred Matt Darr to Haack. And I preferred Brandon Fields to Darr. But maybe that's just me... 

This would be an A+ draft for me.  Of course we still have combines and pro days to go but based off what we think we know right now, I think Fumigalli will go before round 4, possibly even in round 2, and I would be ecstatic if we land Nelson or LB Roquan Smith at 11.  I would be happy with Safety Derwin James too.  All three will probably be gone before we pick, but there’s a chance one of them falls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 12:54 PM, Silver_Lining said:

Scott is really good! I could see him going in the 5th round. We would have to trade up to nab him. Adam Gase really likes left-footed punters, though, and he had a man-crush on Matt Haack as a rookie. I preferred Matt Darr to Haack. And I preferred Brandon Fields to Darr. But maybe that's just me... 

Was still mad that we cut Darr. He was a fantastic young punter. Can't believe he's still unemployed, but Haack was a major downgrade.

Archived