A different Approach mock offseason

INbengalfan

Free agency: I'm bringing back Huber for sure, maybe Bodine as a backup/bridge to the draft pick being ready, maybe Andre Smith as a backup. I'd like to bring back Eifert on an incentive-laden deal, but someone will offer more.

In free agency I'd target:

Preston Brown and Tahir Whitehead. Both fill needs and out LB corps just got strong in a hurry with Burfict among them. it also allows the team to keep 55 at WLB.

Next, I'd look to extend five guys:

Geno Atkins to a four year extension, signing bonus this year

Carlos Dunlap to the three year extension, with a huge roster bonus NEXT year

Dennard to a five year extension, similar to Dre's contract

Michael Johnson and Adam Jones to a year extra for each, but substantially reducing this year's salary cap hit. they still get their money, just over two years.

TRADE: The Cincinnati Bengals trade AJ McCarron to the Buffalo Bills for LT Cordy Glenn. We get a veteran for the LT spot, they get a QB on a one year tryout. This allows the team to also move Cedric into a scrum for the RG spot, which I think he can handle.

Cut: LaFell

And the draft

1. Orlando Brown RT We fixed LT with the trade, now we fix the RT spot. Fisher starts on PUP, but becomes a top backup/swing tackle, erasing the real need to re-sign Andre Smith.

2. James Daniels or Frank Ragnow, C Long term replacement for Bodine, even if we do bring him back.

3. Mike Gisecki TE. Essentially replaces Eifert. Solid combo alongside Kroft.

3b. Kendrick Norton DT The Miami junior will work into the DL rotation.

4. Kazir White FS A center field type of safety. We've needed that badly since reggie left

5a. Javon Wims WR Another Georgia WR. A solid guy as a future #2 WR with Malone since we rotate WRs a bunch. Replaces LaFell

5b Jaylen Holmes DE The former Buckeye moves a couple hundred miles south to be a piece in the DE rotation

6. Daniel Carlson K I ,liked him better than Elliott last year, but he chose to return another year. Maybe we actually keep him

7a and B Special teams guys with specific roles in mind. No idea who that might be or the role intended.

Thoughts?

I like the overall offseason. Listening to the Bengals Beat Podcast today, they do not expect the Bengals to extend both Geno and Dunlap as paying those guys the money they will demand in their 30s is unlikely. But this offseason sets us up nicely. 

I personally am on the non RT at 12 bandwagon as I want a LB, but since you gave us 2 already I can live with it

Bengals won't be that active in free agency.  If Glenn is healthy, I'd be fine with that trade but most likely McCarron won't be traded. I doubt other teams see him as a sure fire starter. 

If we re-sign Andre Smith, Chris Smith, Pat Sims, extend Geno and Dunlap and add 1 key free agent, say Nate Solder, that's about as much as we can expect. 

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

AJ loses his arbitration hearing?

Also, I'm a fan of that offseason.  Moves us in a positive direction and should provide a massive boast to our running game...

Which would make him a RFA. I guess if the Bengals placed a tag on him and matched it then traded him I could see it. But I think they would rather net the pick, most likely a 2nd. 

I would also be down for it if it were to happen 

16 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I like the overall offseason. Listening to the Bengals Beat Podcast today, they do not expect the Bengals to extend both Geno and Dunlap as paying those guys the money they will demand in their 30s is unlikely. But this offseason sets us up nicely. 

I liked their idea of franchising Dunlap the following year.  Get him for two more years, and let him go before he loses effectiveness.  I don't see him being very productive into his 30's.  Geno on the other hand...they should hold onto him until he's about 35 IMO.  He can still be effective for quite some time.

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If we re-sign Andre Smith, Chris Smith, Pat Sims, extend Geno and Dunlap and add 1 key free agent, say Nate Solder, that's about as much as we can expect. 

This, except, i don't really expect them to target one of the top FA OL.  They should, but they'll likely see that as massively overpaying an average player and won't get involved.  

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

This, except, i don't really expect them to target one of the top FA OL.  They should, but they'll likely see that as massively overpaying an average player and won't get involved.  

This is what I’m hoping for with what I think is at least in the realm of possibility for what they might do:

Mccarron is dealt to the browns for one of their second round picks. Geno gets a new contract as well as Dennard and Adam and MJ get one year deals. At least one vet whose career is starting to wind down will be added prob a lb, wr, or TE.

1. Derwin James - I think he’s the best player in the draft and unless he destroys the combine (which is a possibility) should be there at 12. Game changer and can play nickel lb in a pinch. 

2a.  BEST OT available. Prob Okorafor but maybe Williams, Miller, or Mcglinchy. 

2b. Price, Daniels, or Ragnow. 

3a. Settle DT from Vatech. Huge dude that can penetrate. Hopefully he makes it this far if he’s gone maybe take a DT in the fourth but I think he might be special. 

3b. Best TE or LB on the board. Haven’t taken a look at many of them yet. 

After that another OT, a guard, a wr, a qb, and some st players with upside.

21 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

The only way I’d cut Lafell is if we sign another veteran FA WR. No one else on the roster not named Adriel has proven reliable. 

As long as Lafell is on the roster, no one named adriel will ever get the chance to prove reliable. 

Let the young guys play. 

Archived