2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

With a new GM and hopefully a new philosophy with regard to talent acquisition, it's time to discuss the possibilities for GB to upgrade at a few key positions.  An obscene amount of money will be committed to a few QB's, edge-rushers, and others next month, and I'm not necessarily advocating that GB go out and break the bank.  That being said, who would you like to see GB engage a conversation with - prospects that just may have a realistic chance of coming to GB?

I know this is a long-shot, but I'd like to see GB talk to Demarcus Lawrence of Dallas.  He's definitely going to get paid big time this year, but he's only 26, had 14.5 sacks last year and 57 pressures, and is always disruptive. 

Here's a list of who's available - who you like?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

No to Lawrence.  Look at what he does in non-contract years.  Then look at what he did in a contract year.  It is going to end in disaster. 

No to any pass rusher.  Pass rushers are the most dangerous free agent signing.  99 times out of 100, if a team lets a pass rusher go, it's because they aren't worth the money. 

I am really interested in Burton, Eiffert, maybe even Graham.  I'm also interested in one of the many veteran corners.  And I

d really like for us to get one of the mid-tier receivers this year.  Not many other free agents excite me this year. 

I think there’s a serious argument to be made that if you’re going to go full eagles, doing it this offseason is the season to do it as you won’t have the ability to after Rodgers gets paid.

that being said, I want Trumaine Johnson and I want him to have Cobb’s money. 

10 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I think there’s a serious argument to be made that if you’re going to go full eagles, doing it this offseason is the season to do it as you won’t have the ability to after Rodgers gets paid.

that being said, I want Trumaine Johnson and I want him to have Cobb’s money. 

Kyle Fuller, corner from Chicago might be got at a fair price, considering his injury history, but he had a very good year this year so who knows how much he'll fetch on the open market.  He was a first rounder in 2014.

Serious question, why do people still insist on getting big name free agents?  Not saying anyone here does, but in general. 

The Eagles signed a lot of value free agents.  Jefferey was their biggest, but they signed him to a one year deal with very little risk.  The rest of the players they signed were very, very, very affordable value free agents.  Their trades were value trades, not blockbuster trades. 

I could go on about how the value signings and in-season signings/trades/waiver claims are the way to keep a team like the Packers competitive throughout the season while signing the big targets is a great way to become the Saints of the previous five years instead of this year. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Serious question, why do people still insist on getting big name free agents?  Not saying anyone here does, but in general. 

The Eagles signed a lot of value free agents.  Jefferey was their biggest, but they signed him to a one year deal with very little risk.  The rest of the players they signed were very, very, very affordable value free agents.  Their trades were value trades, not blockbuster trades. 

I could go on about how the value signings and in-season signings/trades/waiver claims are the way to keep a team like the Packers competitive throughout the season while signing the big targets is a great way to become the Saints of the previous five years instead of this year. 

Yeah seriously. The guys teams are breaking the bank for are historically not worth it. 

I'm all for more deals but value is still king.

I like the Trent Murphy idea.  Another guy I saw may be available is Dee Ford.  He also is coming off injury but could be a nice pass rush addition.  

I've been pushing for Fuller for a couple months now but I think he may end up back in Chicago.  

22 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I like the Trent Murphy idea.  Another guy I saw may be available is Dee Ford.  He also is coming off injury but could be a nice pass rush addition. 

Dee Ford is a guy I did not know was an impending free agent.  My money is him being the best value signing at pass rusher for any team this NFL offseason.  He seemed to finally turn it on last year, then injuries ruined his season this year.  Same exact case for Trent Murphy. 

If we were to sign one of those two and not have it kill our cap, I'd be a lot more comfortable with any surprise non pass rushing position at 14th overall. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Dee Ford is a guy I did not know was an impending free agent.  My money is him being the best value signing at pass rusher for any team this NFL offseason.  He seemed to finally turn it on last year, then injuries ruined his season this year.  Same exact case for Trent Murphy. 

If we were to sign one of those two and not have it kill our cap, I'd be a lot more comfortable with any surprise non pass rushing position at 14th overall. 

Dee Ford is signed for 2018 at $8.7M.   It is the 5th year option for 1st round pick.  Ford may get cut by KC as they are cap tight.  

KC dumped $20 million in cap space by trading Alex Smith, so they went from $8 million over to $12 million under the 2018 cap in that move

There will be even more space when they release Tamba Hali and his $ 9 million cap number for 2018

One place to shop for FA or cut defenders is teams switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3. That includes Indy among others, but not sure there's anybody there that GB/Pettine might want. Philbin can offer intel on those Colts players, both offense and defense as that team undergoes drastic changes on both sides of the ball

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/IND

OLB Jabaal Sheard may have played under Pettine somewhere along the way

Archived