2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

10 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

While I am not against signing Connor Barwin, I'm not overly enthused by him either. 

At this point in the offseason, there are 90 dudes per team on a roster, almost 2x the number during the regular season. That means there's not exactly a plethora of unsigned players with top- notch talent just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.  B|

Especially so for guys who can rush the passer

39 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

At this point in the offseason, there are 90 dudes per team on a roster, almost 2x the number during the regular season. That means there's not exactly a plethora of unsigned players with top- notch talent just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.  B|

Especially so for guys who can rush the passer

Kyler Fackrell rushed the passer just as well as Barwin last year.  He had 3 sacks in 448 defensive snaps compared to Barwin's 5 in 658 defensive snaps.  I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect much from Barwin.  

Just to throw some context around Barwin's 5.0 sacks last year

13 different defenders recorded  a sack in GB last year - only 2 of them had more than the 5 that Barwin delivered

And for some more context, that same stat holds true in 2014, 2015, 2016. Only 2 Packer defenders exceeded 5.0 sacks in those years as well

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2017.htm

On 7/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, ArthurPensky said:

I love Donnerson but think he’s gonna need a year or so on the practice squad/bench. 

Yeah, I'm interested/curious/hopeful long-term.  But for this year, I think he's strictly a practice-squad wannabe, maybe with some hopes to get promoted to special teams.  

Don't think we need to do anything crazy like trade for Graham or Thomas. Two easy moves out there puts GB at the top of the NFC IMO...sign Dez and Barwin (or as a consolation, Elvis). Need to get ARod's deal done and hopefully open up the little extra cap we need to sign both. Make those two moves, plug our biggest holes, stay healthy, and look out for us in 2018.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Don't think we need to do anything crazy like trade for Graham or Thomas. Two easy moves out there puts GB at the top of the NFC IMO...sign Dez and Barwin (or as a consolation, Elvis). Need to get ARod's deal done and hopefully open up the little extra cap we need to sign both. Make those two moves, plug our biggest holes, stay healthy, and look out for us in 2018.

You started a blog eh?

On 7/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, packfanfb said:

Unless Adams goes down prior to the start of the season with a serious injury I think we're done making moves.  I agree though adding Dez and Barwin would fill 2 needs given the lack of depth we have at 2 of our most important positions, boundary WR and OLB.  More than any year in recent memory, this teams needs to stay healthy if we're going to be competitive.  

8 hours ago, SSG said:

Unless Adams goes down prior to the start of the season with a serious injury I think we're done making moves.  I agree though adding Dez and Barwin would fill 2 needs given the lack of depth we have at 2 of our most important positions, boundary WR and OLB.  More than any year in recent memory, this teams needs to stay healthy if we're going to be competitive.  

Nah, Gutey’s comments about adding OLB depth after the draft makes me think a vet will be brought it eventually

On 7/11/2018 at 12:16 PM, eyecatcher said:

Kyler Fackrell rushed the passer just as well as Barwin last year.  He had 3 sacks in 448 defensive snaps compared to Barwin's 5 in 658 defensive snaps.  I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect much from Barwin.  

Excellent post.

I’ve seen a lot of posts bellyaching about Fackrell and then posts advocating signing Barwin- ridiculous… A few years ago, that nonsense would have been immediately called out on this board. Looking further into the numbers, Fackrell was pretty bad early in the season. Then, the last seven games, he got his act together and performed at a high level. Even looking more into Fackrell, it’s pretty easy to see what’s played out.

Fackrell came in like a lion. In 2016, he had a fantastic preseason. In the last preseason game, I remember him looking like Lawrence Taylor. He also got off to excellent start of the season. In the first four games he had like ten tackles and two sacks, then he got hurt in the fifth game. He wasn’t right the rest of the season.

Then last year, he still wasn’t right. He had an awful preseason and an awful first half of the regular season. He came back after the bye and was better, he then had a big game against the Ravens and was good the rest of the year. I don’t think he played in the last game against the Lions, but no one played well in that game.

So, did Fackrell forget how to play well after the 4th game of his rookie season or was something not right with him? I think his play in games eleven through fifteen last year answered that question. Like I mentioned, a few years ago this would have been broken down on this board. Now, it’s more about getting your bellyache on and pushing an agenda.

Anyway, it's year three for him, he' gonna have to bring it. If he has a preseason like last year, he's cut. My guess, as long as he's healthy, he'll play more like the end of last year and his fist few months his rookie season.

38 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Excellent post.

I’ve seen a lot of posts bellyaching about Fackrell and then posts advocating signing Barwin- ridiculous… A few years ago, that nonsense would have been immediately called out on this board. Looking further into the numbers, Fackrell was pretty bad early in the season. Then, the last seven games, he got his act together and performed at a high level. Even looking more into Fackrell, it’s pretty easy to see what’s played out.

Fackrell came in like a lion. In 2016, he had a fantastic preseason. In the last preseason game, I remember him looking like Lawrence Taylor. He also got off to excellent start of the season. In the first four games he had like ten tackles and two sacks, then he got hurt in the fifth game. He wasn’t right the rest of the season.

Then last year, he still wasn’t right. He had an awful preseason and an awful first half of the regular season. He came back after the bye and was better, he then had a big game against the Ravens and was good the rest of the year. I don’t think he played in the last game against the Lions, but no one played well in that game.

So, did Fackrell forget how to play well after the 4th game of his rookie season or was something not right with him? I think his play in games eleven through fifteen last year answered that question. Like I mentioned, a few years ago this would have been broken down on this board. Now, it’s more about getting your bellyache on and pushing an agenda.

Anyway, it's year three for him, he' gonna have to bring it. If he has a preseason like last year, he's cut. My guess, as long as he's healthy, he'll play more like the end of last year and his fist few months his rookie season.

Careful! Fack's a designated whipping boy here!

He does provide flexibility that Pettine seems to value though.  See if he can realize his potential under someone who will use his strengths.  Agree that a preseason performance like last years could spell the end though.

7 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Careful! Fack's a designated whipping boy here!

He does provide flexibility that Pettine seems to value though.  See if he can realize his potential under someone who will use his strengths.  Agree that a preseason performance like last years could spell the end though.

I know, and I don't get it. Well, I guess I do. He was very bad for thirteen months, (week five 2016 through nine 2018),  and he had that awful play when he ran on the field against the Redskins. That seems to have pissed off some Packer fans.

But, when healthy, he's played well. He was excellent his rookie season until he got hurt and finished strong with strong play in five of the last seven games of the year... This can't be ignored. 

Archived