2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Coming out of college - facing the draft - thats when those questions have relevance.

Right!  Any limitation concerns a team might have about a player pre-draft, can be clearly answered by his play on the field in the NFL.  Any team that gets hung up on his size limitations at that point have no business making NFL caliber decisions.

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So looking over various rosters and the Chargers stands out. You've got Hayward and Trevor Williams both top 10 rated PFF corners and they have Desmond King one of the highest graded rookies. Still have Craig Mager for depth who was a  recent 3rd rounder Any chance they'd move Verrett? If they would we even be interested or are we too stupid because he's short?

Not sure if LAC would move Verrett or not.  How high of a pick would you be willing to give up for a CB with an $8.52M 1 year contract?

LAC has $15M in cap space, not a lot, but also not so little that they need to move him for the cap space.  I would guess LAC would want to Day 2 pick at least.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not sure if LAC would move Verrett or not.  How high of a pick would you be willing to give up for a CB with an $8.52M 1 year contract?

LAC has $15M in cap space, not a lot, but also not so little that they need to move him for the cap space.  I would guess LAC would want to Day 2 pick at least.

Verrett seems pretty coveted by LAC, though, they do have some concerns with his ability to stay healthy.  If you want a good read on the Chargers defensive backfield prowess, check this out:  https://boltbeat.com/2018/01/16/jason-verrett-holds-the-key-to-the-bolts-defense/

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Verrett seems pretty coveted by LAC, though, they do have some concerns with his ability to stay healthy.  If you want a good read on the Chargers defensive backfield prowess, check this out:  https://boltbeat.com/2018/01/16/jason-verrett-holds-the-key-to-the-bolts-defense/

Agree completely.   LAC has no real reason to move him, and certainly not for a pretty high pick or some nice package coming back.  LAC likely is in the thick of things for the AFC West title and a playoff berth.  Twilight of Rivers' career.  No reason for them to be moving talented players for cheap.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agree completely.   LAC has no real reason to move him, and certainly not for a pretty high pick or some nice package coming back.  LAC likely is in the thick of things for the AFC West title and a playoff berth.  Twilight of Rivers' career.  No reason for them to be moving talented players for cheap.

Yep, truth!  Man, reading that article about LAC’s backfield made me really jealous! Definitely a huge strength on their team!

6 hours ago, jontat83 said:

Need help at edge though, two areas to address on the defense via this draft.

Agree. I'm assuming another Brooks type signing, and draft help here too. Hopefully Pettine can get more out of Matthews and Perry too.

5 hours ago, Chili said:

I'm trying to better understand our defence and how certain positions can change into something else creating different looks using the same personnel. My knowledge is rudimentary at best. I understand that even though we're a 3-4 team we would be playing nickel the majority of the time essentially becoming our base defence.

4-2-5 or 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 are nickel defences which often employ 3 safeties with interchangable roles. Some people think Pettine might employ a 3-3-5 defence so based on that assumption I tried to see how our players would fit within that system. Below is our current depth chart I came up with. (note: Ahmad Thomas is a SS/LB hybrid, i've incorrectly put him at ILB). I may have incorrectly put some players in the wrong positions.

WnkoNHe.png

As you can see we have 3 safety positions but two of them are interchangeable. Sometimes one of the safeties becomes a linebacker or one can become a nickel corner. The nickle/SS is a crucial full time position- nickel corners are far more important than we think which is why we shouldn't dismiss any FA talk on nickel corners when everyone is focusing on outside corners. This was Randall's old spot and we have yet to replace him and I was hoping we would get Mathieu to fill that crucial position. Revis could in theory be ideal for this particular role if he's willing to do it. The SS/LB was Burnett's role but the torch is expected to pass on to Josh Jones.

You have three linebackers and they can either be outside pass rushers or inside which is where we can maximise Matthews and possibly Fackrell versatile skillsets. You will still get your normal 3-4 style edge rushers in this system.

The DL is the expected Daniels-Clark-Wilkerson however I can imagine the 3rd DT spot being interchangeable with DE giving Perry the opportunity to get his hands on the ground and rush from the edge with the other edge rusher standing up - essentially creating some 4-3 under looks.

What I've learned:

1. We got two spots without a clear defined starter. Nickle/SS position and Outside Cornerback. They're two of our biggest needs right now. I know everybody says we need a pass rusher but unlike corner we have two solid and highly paid starters in Matthews and Perry and we drafted Beigel to back them up. It makes me feel that we would be selecting a corner again with our first pick.

2. With many teams often using 3WR sets, the Nickel/SS has become the new starting position in the NFL and its absolutely crucial we shore that position up. Revis, Cockrell, Marcus Williams are potential FA candidates. I like Revis because he can play outside when needed.  I keep coming back to him and it makes too much sense. Sometimes you need to plug in an experienced player to steady the ship and Revis can be that guy. He can be this year's version of Jahri Evans.

3. Outside corner is definitely a problem. Not sure what we can do there. Few avenues left to pursue before we accept the fact we may need to rely on a rookie there. Not the end of the world as long as he is good. Difficult to find affordable All-Pro talent in free agency, however much easier to find one in the draft especially at 14.

4. If we sign Burnett or Vaccaro we will be paying starting money which means Jones is relegated to backup duties. Good that we have depth but bad as we would've wasted another 2nd round pick on a backup just like what we've done with Spriggs. I don't think we will do this.

5. Speaking of safeties I feel confident we will draft a couple of safeties to add depth. I don't think Whitehead, Evans and Brice are sufficient depth. One injury to one of our starting safeties and we would struggle immediately.

6. Do we have enough coverage ability at linebacker? Right now I don't think so.

7. Does this team look like they can stop the run? I think we should be ok in that regard.

Appreciate the effort in putting this post together. Thank you

17 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Give me Brice. Guy can stretch the field.

I wouldn't mind that at all. I didn't care much that the Bears signed Burton and Robinson but I do like that they signed Gabriel. Nagy loves WRs with speed and he wants to try and use Gabriel the same way he used Tyreek Hill in KC. A good fit for the kind of offense that he wants to run.

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see value. He's a rental. I'd rather give the reps to the 2/3 round receiver who will become the next Jennings/Jones/Nelson/Cobb/Adams.

Bryant is going to want to be paid if he has a big year and I'm not giving a dime of guaranteed money to that guy.

Yeah, I'd be leery about throwing any sort of notable guaranteed money at him.

The 4 moves GB needs to make before the draft.

So far this free agency, we've added a top TE, strengthened our Dline with a proven inside pass rusher and on the flip side, lost a starting WR and slot CB. IMO, here are the 4 additional moves GB needs to make before the draft next month:

1. Sign two CBs. We've been harping on this since day one. So far, we have struck out but the Packers can still come away with a solid combo to address the position. Preferably for me, that would be Breeland + Tramon. Until I learn otherwise, I am assuming Breeland's injury isnt serious enough to endanger him for camp or the season. As such, he's still my No. 1 and Tramon since day one has been the guy I wanted GB to sign after they landed the bigger fish CB. Backup plan: Sign a combo of the following: House, Tramon, Desir, DRC. I didn't put Gaines here because until GB actually signs a guy under their height requirement I'm assuming no interest there. 

2. Sign a WR. We lost Jordy and we don't have a viable replacement on our roster. In fact, we don't have a viable No. 3 WR on our roster, IMO. Since drafting Adams in 2014, our attempts to address the WR position have been abysmal by TT. The result is -- we lose one guy like Nelson and suddenly we are thin as hell at the position. Obviously we can address the position at the draft but that's a crap-shoot and it will take time for a rookie to have an impact most likely. My solution? Make the Martavis Bryant trade happen. I don't care about his future as a Packer or any of that stuff. Right now, I care about 2018 and Bryant helps this team get to a SB. That's all the info I need to gladly hand over a 4th rd pick or a two late round picks for him. Backup plan: Sign Brice Butler. He's my sleeper WR this offseason. He wasnt used much in Dallas's weak passing game but he can stretch the field, can leap out of the building and catches those 50-50 balls that Rodgers likes. He's not a true no. 2 WR but he easily becomes a 3-4 guy ahead of Allison and the other bums on our team. 

3. Sign a last-stop EDGE. We made a similar move last year with Brooks and just got unlucky that his back went to hell. I'd still revisit this position pre-draft and the two guys I'd consider are Tamba and Elvis. Not sure what Tamba has left but he's an experienced savy pass rusher who could pay dividends as a situational guy. Given his age, 34, he might sign for nothing. Elvis is in the same boat and probably even has more to give at 34 years of age. He's coming off a 6.5 sack season for SF. Either guy, if cheap, would be a good asset to have, especially if we don't end up attacking EDGE early in the draft. 

4. Consider Resigning Burnett. Disclaimer: I'm not a Burnett guy, never have been and didnt want him resigned as of a month ago. However I felt that way primarily because I was hoping we'd aggressively attack the CB position with a top 10 guy, etc. With that scenario gone, I now like the idea better of keeping the vet, Burnett around at least 1-2 more years rather than crossing our fingers with Jones/Brice at SS. Also, given the lack of heat surrounding Burnett through one week of FA, I'm starting to believe we could get him back around $5 million/year rather than the $9 million or so I think some thought he might get. No way I'd pay close to the latter, but at $5 million, I'd be okay keeping him. 

The one notable move I did not list is RG or interior oline in general. Unlike the positions above, I dont see interior OL as a necessity to address via FA. Indeed, unlike the WR amd CB position,  I actually like our younger talent on the interior OL. I think either McCray or Patrick would be a suitable RG if need be or even a mid-round draft pick. I have far less concern about that position right now versus WR, CB and EDGE. 

For me, if we still pull off the four moves above, or even at least a few of them, FA will be a massive success (on paper of course). Then it's on to the draft.

36 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Robert Ayers was the #10 ranked edge guy by PFF last year. Just sayin.

They say he plays with intensity. Onky had 2.5 sacks but notched up a hefty amount of pressures and hits. I hope he wants to come from sunny Tampa to Green Bay (and that we make an offer for him).

I’m really bored. I want a signing. Even a new long snapper. Someone. Anyone. Please...

3 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

We don't have the money for all those moves. Jimmy will replace Jordy for the most part and Cobb and Geronimo were fine enough as the 3rd and 4th options last year.

I dont think we need wrs this year. Especially if we draft one but I do think we hve the cash to make moves as we showed that by putting in a big offer for Fuller.

I just want some of these small deals for depth. No big splashes required, not that there is anyone worth blowing our load on anyway.

Archived