2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I was responding sine Ketchup just said trades can’t be made. Was that trade before or after the Super Bowl?

Teams can agree to trade terms, but they are not official and processed until the start of the 2018 league year.  I think that is March 14th.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  That doesn't stop them from franchising him again.

Franchising Cousins again would be a disaster. They won't. Cousins could just sit on the tag and sign it after July 1st, the deadline to sign tagged players to a long term deal. It would hurt himself, but it would royally screw Washington. 

34 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Franchising Cousins again would be a disaster. They won't. Cousins could just sit on the tag and sign it after July 1st, the deadline to sign tagged players to a long term deal. It would hurt himself, but it would royally screw Washington. 

Agreed.

No team is going to trade for Cousins without Cousins agreeing to do a long term contract.  That gives Cousins the ability to control where he goes.   Cousins has also said that he would not want to have a team he would be going to to have to trade away assets to acquire him.  Weakens a team that he is going to play for.

Was could place the tag on Cousins and then rescind the tag before Cousins has a chance to sign it.  But if WAS lets him sign it, they would be hamstrung by the salary cap commitment and limit the FA they could sign.

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.

No team is going to trade for Cousins without Cousins agreeing to do a long term contract.  That gives Cousins the ability to control where he goes.   Cousins has also said that he would not want to have a team he would be going to to have to trade away assets to acquire him.  Weakens a team that he is going to play for.

Was could place the tag on Cousins and then rescind the tag before Cousins has a chance to sign it.  But if WAS lets him sign it, they would be hamstrung by the salary cap commitment and limit the FA they could sign.

I read an article last week (still looking for the link) where Cousins stated that he'd prefer to go to the Vikings.  That would definitely be an interesting signing, though, I'm not sure Cousins is an upgrade over Keenum at this point.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:02 PM, moose said:

Here are mine.

• TE: ASJ, Burton --- we all know we need one and the draft class is lacking
  • WR: Watkins, Robinson, Pryor --- cut Nelson and get one of these guys to get younger and faster
  • CB: get mid level player (Fuller, Amukamara, Gaines) - King, Randall, and one of these CBs to start

Can probably pay for these by cutting Nelson and Cobb

At this point, I'd rather pony up the money on Jimmy Graham than overpay a middling TE FA.  We need someone whose clearly better than Lance Kendricks.  Not sure Trey Burton is anything more a marginal upgrade over Lance Kendricks.  And I don't see the Packers paying for WR.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Yes and no.  It's a risk vs reward thing for the Redskins.  They run the risk that Cousins signs the tag, and pretty much limits their ability to maneuver in FA.  But I've said that as long as the Redskins received AT LEAST a 2018 4th round pick, that's a win given the depreciation of future picks.  Would a team give up a 4th round pick for 1 year of Kirk Cousins?  I'd be willing to bet that there's at least one or two teams who would make that trade in a heartbeat.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes and no.  It's a risk vs reward thing for the Redskins.  They run the risk that Cousins signs the tag, and pretty much limits their ability to maneuver in FA.  But I've said that as long as the Redskins received AT LEAST a 2018 4th round pick, that's a win given the depreciation of future picks.  Would a team give up a 4th round pick for 1 year of Kirk Cousins?  I'd be willing to bet that there's at least one or two teams who would make that trade in a heartbeat.

I don't think there's a single team that will eat a $35m cap hit in 2018 for one year with Cousins without having him signing a long term deal. 

Cousins said he isn't interested in handicapping his new team. He also said he wants to choose his team. If the Redskins tag him, I wouldn't be shocked if he sat out and screwed Washington. The risk is WAY higher than the reward. 

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sure....But what prevents Cousins from dragging his feet to see if WAS would accept less in trade while at the same time limiting WAS ability to be active in FA when it starts.  

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't think there's a single team that will eat a $35m cap hit in 2018 for one year with Cousins without having him signing a long term deal. 

Cousins said he isn't interested in handicapping his new team. He also said he wants to choose his team. If the Redskins tag him, I wouldn't be shocked if he sat out and screwed Washington. The risk is WAY higher than the reward. 

A 4th round pick that pretty much makes just about any team a playoff-caliber is a small price to pay.  Plus you have exclusive negotiating rights to Cousins for that calendar year.  I'd imagine that Denver and Arizona would jump at that opportunity.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Sure....But what prevents Cousins from dragging his feet to see if WAS would accept less in trade while at the same time limiting WAS ability to be active in FA when it starts.  

IF Washington tags Kirk Cousins, the only think he can do to force the issue is to sign the franchise tag.  And that's questionable about whether or not he'd do that, because as soon as he signs the tag he no longer gets that UFA he so desperately wants.  IF he doesn't sign the tag, and Washington ends up negotiating a deal with a FA they rescind the franchise tag and Cousins gets his UFA as he wanted.

Archived