2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Yeah, I think Leader said in a different thread (and I agree) that it would be nice to give these three new draftees an opportunity to stay with the system long enough to get a decent sample-size of their abilities.  You start bringing in FA's and it decreases their opportunities on the field and in making the squad in general.  Nothing against Dez - I think it's possible he could work out here (if the circus isn't too distracting), but I just have a feeling at least one of these new guys is going to work really nicely for us.

44 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

If you pay Dez, who do you lose out on? Hard time seeing 7 WRs unless one is somehow a special teams ace like Janis.

Cobb, Davante, and Dez would be locks. Moore nearly one. Then Clark, Allison, Davis, ESJ, and Valdes, ect.

I know their unknown but I  don't want to lose a chance at developing Valdes-Scantling or ESJ to pay Dez for a year. Especially when you consider Cobb could be gone next year when the 2018 WR draftees would be going into year 2. 

On the other hand, if Davante or Cobb go down, would be shorthanded on the Vets.

This WR group is gonna be a tough call for 2018.

At this rate, we could still sign Dez during the season ;)

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

If you pay Dez, who do you lose out on? Hard time seeing 7 WRs unless one is somehow a special teams ace like Janis.

Cobb, Davante, and Dez would be locks. Moore nearly one. Then Clark, Allison, Davis, ESJ, and Valdes, ect.

I know their unknown but I  don't want to lose a chance at developing Valdes-Scantling or ESJ to pay Dez for a year. Especially when you consider Cobb could be gone next year when the 2018 WR draftees would be going into year 2. 

On the other hand, if Davante or Cobb go down, would be shorthanded on the Vets.

This WR group is gonna be a tough call for 2018.

And it Valdez-Scantling or ESJ turn out to be the caliber of prospects that Yancy and Dupre were last year it would be a gamble that we lost on if we truly could have had Dez on cheap contract.  I don't think we should be making serious roster decisions based on day 3 picks whom likely have less than a 50% chance of making the roster.  

IMO If Davante goes down, 2015 (with James Jones) is going to look like a GREAT offense.  

Just now, SSG said:

IMO If Davante goes down, 2015 (with James Jones) is going to look like a GREAT offense.  

Lol.  Jimmy Graham, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis and all of our rookies is better than 2015 Davante Adams (the year everyone wanted us to cut him), Abbrederis, Cobb, Janis, Jones and Richard Rodgers. 

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  Jimmy Graham, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis and all of our rookies is better than 2015 Davante Adams (the year everyone wanted us to cut him), Abbrederis, Cobb, Janis, Jones and Richard Rodgers. 

Easy to say now.  Randall Cobb was coming off a 90 catch, 1200 yard, 12 TD season.  Davante Adams just finished up a promising rookie year in which NO ONE wanted him cut.  While James Jones wasn't a star, even the 2015 version was a substantially better player than either Allison or Davis (who's an absolutely horrid WR).  As far as the rookies go I'm not putting a dime on them being better than Jeff Janis given thew fact that they were day 3 picks in horrid year for WRs.  IMO all 3 Jeff Janis size projects.  Guys who are all much better athletes than football players which is why they were at the bottom of their draft class.  Ty Montgomery, who was a rookie that year ,was a substantially better and more polished product.  

If Adams goes down Jimmy Graham is the only upgrade from the 2015 group without Jordy Nelson.  IMO our offense is going to be in a substantial amount of trouble if Adams goes down.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Every one of our rookies this year > Abbrederis/Janis. 
Cobb now > Davante Adams 2015.

I would go further:

Rookies this year > Geronimo Allison > Abbrederis and Janis > Yancey and Dupre

Geronimo Allison has out produced the stats of Abbrederis and Janis combined in his two seasons to their combined seven*.

*Abby was not active as a rookie so I didn't count that as a season.

16 hours ago, cannondale said:

The media circus alone would make that signing a nightmare. Not a single day would pass where a reporter wasn't trying to get Dez to "Ryan Leaf." Every Packer right down to the long snapper would be asked about Dez every day. MM would be hounded every day with Dez questions. National media from every outlet hanging around and looking for any piece of dirt possible to write a juicy story that gets clicks. An every day, all day distraction that lasts all season.  Think for a second about a postgame where Dez had 2 catches for 14 yards. And the entire week following. 

I can't imagine MM or Gute wants to intentionally bring that into the locker room after their persistent comments regarding players and their fit 

Not to mention walking off the field whenever the mood strikes, deteriorating skillset etc etc . 

If we win that all goes away and we are going to win a lot either way.

7 hours ago, SSG said:

I'm not putting a dime on them being better than Jeff Janis given thew fact that they were day 3 picks in horrid year for WRs.

It was not a horrid year for WRs. I don't know where this idea came from. 

It did lack one or two top-end guys (first two guys off the board went at #24 and #26), but there were a ton of very talented prospects available from round 2 on, enough that some good players slipped down the board. Six WRs went in round 2, with guys like Miller, Washington and Chark taken down at #51, #60,  #61.

OurLads site grades the draft at each position relative to an 'average' year. Their average WR rating in a draft is 31 (higher is better). This year their rating for WRs was 33, just a notch above average. The biggest weaknesses (scores furthest below average) in the 2018 draft might surprise you. They were OT (which is no surprise) and CB (which certainly is). The strongest positions were DT, ILB and special teams.

12 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Every one of our rookies this year > Abbrederis/Janis. 
Cobb now > Davante Adams 2015.

10 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I would go further:

Rookies this year > Geronimo Allison > Abbrederis and Janis > Yancey and Dupre

Geronimo Allison has out produced the stats of Abbrederis and Janis combined in his two seasons to their combined seven*.

*Abby was not active as a rookie so I didn't count that as a season.

Amen. And it almost goes without saying J'Mon would be OROY/ Superbowl MVP in this scenario.B|

13 hours ago, SSG said:

And it Valdez-Scantling or ESJ turn out to be the caliber of prospects that Yancy and Dupre were last year it would be a gamble that we lost on if we truly could have had Dez on cheap contract.  I don't think we should be making serious roster decisions based on day 3 picks whom likely have less than a 50% chance of making the roster.  

So we should be making roster decisions based on picking up declining veterans with stability/attitude problems? :)

55 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

So we should be making roster decisions based on picking up declining veterans with stability/attitude problems? :)

We did  just sign Wilkerson didn't we?  Wilkerson makes Dez look like a great locker room presence.  he was viewed as a locker room cancer while in NYJ.  On top of trying to rip his locker room apart from within he was generally awful at his job.  The Jets couldn't rid themselves of the cancer quick enough. 

I'm not saying this because I hate the Wilkerson signing rather pointing the we indeed have made roster decisions based on bad locker room guys and or guys who skills have diminished.  Wilkerson was a much worse football player last year and a far bigger distraction in the locker room.

41 minutes ago, SSG said:

We did  just sign Wilkerson didn't we?  Wilkerson makes Dez look like a great locker room presence.  he was viewed as a locker room cancer while in NYJ.  On top of trying to rip his locker room apart from within he was generally awful at his job.  The Jets couldn't rid themselves of the cancer quick enough. 

I'm not saying this because I hate the Wilkerson signing rather pointing the we indeed have made roster decisions based on bad locker room guys and or guys who skills have diminished.  Wilkerson was a much worse football player last year and a far bigger distraction in the locker room.

I agree, 100%, about Wilkerson and his last year or two in New York.

I'm not forgetting the cancer that Wilkerson was.  And I'm looking forward to seeing if he can resurrect his NFL career and reputation.

I'd also look forward to seeing if Dez could turn it around in GB, if he were signed.  If I'm being objective, I personally don't want him, but I do have to admit that he'd better a better option in the offense than Geronimo Allison.  Heard a guy on Sirius XM (maybe it was Ross Tucker) say that Dez was on pace for a 1,000 yard season 2 years ago before injuries hit him, so he was producing under Dak...it wasn't just Romo.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I agree, 100%, about Wilkerson and his last year or two in New York.

I'm not forgetting the cancer that Wilkerson was.  And I'm looking forward to seeing if he can resurrect his NFL career and reputation.

I'd also look forward to seeing if Dez could turn it around in GB, if he were signed.  If I'm being objective, I personally don't want him, but I do have to admit that he'd better a better option in the offense than Geronimo Allison.  Heard a guy on Sirius XM (maybe it was Ross Tucker) say that Dez was on pace for a 1,000 yard season 2 years ago before injuries hit him, so he was producing under Dak...it wasn't just Romo.

Wasn't Bennett considered a cancer?  So, why not kick Dez's tires?

Archived