2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

59 minutes ago, Norm said:

I know that's super homer stupid but I truly believe he'll be the better player over the next few

I agree with the bolded part. I think Earl has a couple or few years left of elite safety play

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Daniels is the embodiment of a guy who reached his potential and has even overachieved

I should of specified that I think he still has the opportunity to have an even bigger on field impact, not just physical potential but on field impact potential.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, TheGreatZepp said:

I should of specified that I think he still has the opportunity to have an even bigger on field impact, not just physical potential but on field impact potential.

What more do you expect him to do that he doesn't already do?

New York Football Giants agreed to terms with OLB Connor Barwin, formerly of the Rams.

It's likely a one-year deal for the vet's minimum. Barwin, 32 in October, registered five sacks across 14 appearances for Los Angeles last season. He will add depth in New York and reunite with ex-Eagles LBs coach Bill McGovern.

last week Barwin proclaimed he'd only play for a legit SB contender....yeah right

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

New York Football Giants agreed to terms with OLB Connor Barwin, formerly of the Rams.

It's likely a one-year deal for the vet's minimum. Barwin, 32 in October, registered five sacks across 14 appearances for Los Angeles last season. He will add depth in New York and reunite with ex-Eagles LBs coach Bill McGovern.

last week Barwin proclaimed he'd only play for a legit SB contender....yeah right

Everyone is a bowl contender this time of year ?. I'm thinking the left over FAs don't really have the privilege of picking from the top of the crop, whatever comes in the door looks like a contender.

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Fun topic for something that'll never happen: What would you trade to ATL for 29-year old Julio Jones?

That would be a move to put us over the top for a few seasons.  I would want to see the defense in action first.  If it is still no good, no offensive player will give us much more of a chance to win a championship.  The Falcons can't win one with Julio already there.  If the defense is fine, I'd give the Saints first rounder for him, it is the #1 overall pick after all. 

On 7/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, HighCalebR said:

What more do you expect him to do that he doesn't already do?

We obviously disagree that he has reached his impact potential. I do not think 5.0 sacks and 10 TFL is his ceiling.

I’ll use an example.

Joe Thomas was the best left tackle in the league for over a decade but, he played for the Browns. He was an elite talent that never had the supporting cast around him to maximize his on field impact. Now what if he had been a Seahawk blocking for Wilson/Beast Mode or blocking for Brees in New Orleans? Does the impact of Thomas bring those teams a second super bowl? It’s not a perfect example as a left tackle’s roles doesnt change the same as a front seven defender but that’s the idea.

Do you think he'll clear 10 sacks? 20 TFL? He's lined up 0-9, base to every pressure package, we know the impact he has on the field. He's a very effective player and leader for this team, he is an active pro bowler. Unless you see him becoming an All-Pro.. he's reached it.

Aaron Donald basically has 1 spot locked up for the next 5 years. Fletcher Cox is dominant. There's just quite a few guys with more physical gifts playing at a high level. I just don't think he's that caliber of player, if you do that's fine.

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Fun topic for something that'll never happen: What would you trade to ATL for 29-year old Julio Jones?

Our third round pick and not a single pick higher on the condition that he plays the year on his current contract and then leaves in free agency, netting us a third round compensatory pick. 

Davante Adams over the last 2 seasons: 22 TDs

Jordy Nelson over the last 2 seasons: 20 TDs

Randall Cobb over the last 2 seasons  8 TDs

And keep in mind that GB WRs had Hundley at QB for 10 of those games

Julio over the last 2 seasons: 9 TDs

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Julio over the last 2 seasons: 9 TDs

I've tried bringing this up ten thousand times and it's just crazy old WR-hating nonsensical rhetoric when it comes from me.  I've been told it's bad luck, happenstance, and every other excuse.  Somebody (think it was Ray) asked me if I would say it was just bad luck if he had a 10 TD season in 2017 and I said sure, if he'd admit that another season under 7 touchdowns made it a pattern beyond luck.  Never got that response. 

It's NOT bad luck.  Julio Jones is a BAD red zone receiver.

His last three years:

2015: 22 targets, 13 completions, 59%.
2016: 11 targets, 5 completions, 45%.
2017: 18 targets, 5 completions, 27%. 

Ryan completed 47% of his red zone passes last year with 17 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
Ryan completed 65% of his red zone passes in 2016 with 31 touchdowns and 1 interception.
Ryan completed 58% of his red zone passes in 2015 with 17 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Ryan is not some awful red zone passer to explain Julio's problems there. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/redzone-receiving.htm

13 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'd love to have him as he's a substantially more talented WR than any guy we've got on the roster (or had on the roster since Sterling) . Saying that though, he'd be unaffordable without trading someone like Adams for him.  Talent Wise, Jones is in a different world but Adams is like 4 years younger so it wouldn't be a smart trade despite Jones being a substantial upgrade.  

His production since his injury shortened 2013 season is video game like.  On average of over 100 catches and over 1575 yard per season.  In the playoffs over his career he's averaged over 100 yards and .75 TDs per game.  If he can put up that sort of production with a mediocre QB like Matt Ryan, imagine what he could do with AR12.  

I personally could look past his lack of TDs in favor of the rest of his elite production (scoring TDs in the playoffs hasn't been an issue for him).  If Aaron Rodgers can transform James Jones into a guy who leads the league in TDs, he can score TDs with just about any warm body at WR.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I've tried bringing this up ten thousand times and it's just crazy old WR-hating nonsensical rhetoric when it comes from me.  I've been told it's bad luck, happenstance, and every other excuse.  Somebody (think it was Ray) asked me if I would say it was just bad luck if he had a 10 TD season in 2017 and I said sure, if he'd admit that another season under 7 touchdowns made it a pattern beyond luck.  Never got that response. 

It's NOT bad luck.  Julio Jones is a BAD red zone receiver.

His last three years:

2015: 22 targets, 13 completions, 59%.
2016: 11 targets, 5 completions, 45%.
2017: 18 targets, 5 completions, 27%. 

Ryan completed 47% of his red zone passes last year with 17 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
Ryan completed 65% of his red zone passes in 2016 with 31 touchdowns and 1 interception.
Ryan completed 58% of his red zone passes in 2015 with 17 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Ryan is not some awful red zone passer to explain Julio's problems there. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/redzone-receiving.htm

Unless you can point to how a guy can be the most dominant WR in the NFL and then lose his ability in the red zone I'm going chalk it up to outside circumstances. We've seen it first hand. Julio is as dominant as Megatron. 

According to this article it has a lot to do with Ryan.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/fantasy-football-film-study-is-julio-jones-a-poor-red-zone-wr/

"I’d say 9 of Julio’s 18 Red zone targets were even catchable."

Archived