2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

I see what he's saying with the stats. But I can't look at Julio and find something that makes sense that would make him poor down there. We've seen the guy enough I don't think we need to rely on stats. Without going Jaws on it, I'm assuming it just has to do with him drawing max attention down there

From the link that PR posted

"Statistics-wise Julio is due for some positive regression in 2018 in this department. Although we have a small sample size, there is nothing in the film that suggests that Julio is somehow lacking in terms of the usual RZ skills. Scouts know this guy is a physical freak with the strength, body control, and mitts to be able to make grabs in short areas."

I don't think there's much positive regression in that its always been an issue with Julio in terms of TD production. He averages only 6 TDs per season over his career and 5 TDs per season over the last 5 campaigns. This includes different HCs and different OCs

And sure, he gets a lot of attention, but as a superstar WR, it seems too easy to shut him out of the EZ given his freak status. Calvin Johnson averaged 50% more TDs per season than Julio -  and they both had talented QBs tossing them the rock. TDs are just one stat, but its weird how unproductive he's been in that arena

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Unless you can point to how a guy can be the most dominant WR in the NFL and then lose his ability in the red zone I'm going chalk it up to outside circumstances. We've seen it first hand. Julio is as dominant as Megatron. 

According to this article it has a lot to do with Ryan.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/fantasy-football-film-study-is-julio-jones-a-poor-red-zone-wr/

"I’d say 9 of Julio’s 18 Red zone targets were even catchable."

Think maybe Ryan would throw better balls if Julio got open more in the red zone? 

I really don't know why you're so hesitant to admit that Julio struggles in the red zone.  Three touchdowns in the red zone this year.  Ryan had 17 red zone touchdowns.  6 touchdowns in the red zone last year.  Ryan had 31 touchdowns and 1 interception in the red zone last year.

Julio Jones either has the worst luck in the entire damn world or there's something there.  I'll ask it again this year even though you won't fess up at the end of this year... If Julio Jones, with health and Matt Ryan's health, has less than 9 touchdowns AGAIN this year, will you admit that he struggles to get open in the red zone? 

6 qualifying seasons (one missed due to injury), a single season over 8 touchdown receptions.  Three seasons under 7 touchdowns. 

Julio Jones, in 6 complete seasons, has 19 career red zone touchdowns. 

Julio Jones - 95 games, 19 career red zone touchdowns.
Randall Cobb - 96 games, 29 career red zone touchdowns.

How can the most dominant receiver in the NFL have such low red zone numbers?

It's not all Rodgers.  Don't act like it is.  James Jones had 5 red zone touchdowns in Derek Carr's rookie year. 

If Julio Jones was the most dominant receiver in the NFL, he'd have more than 3 touchdowns.  From ANYWHERE on the field.  He had three touchdowns TOTAL last year.  How do you account for that?  Bad luck? 

Why is someone that talented that bad in the rz? What can you even look at and go, see this is why he struggles? Stats happen for a reason. I don't think the reason is mostly Jones knowing how he is as a player.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Think maybe Ryan would throw better balls if Julio got open more in the red zone? 

I really don't know why you're so hesitant to admit that Julio struggles in the red zone.  Three touchdowns in the red zone this year.  Ryan had 17 red zone touchdowns.  6 touchdowns in the red zone last year.  Ryan had 31 touchdowns and 1 interception in the red zone last year.

Julio Jones either has the worst luck in the entire damn world or there's something there.  I'll ask it again this year even though you won't fess up at the end of this year... If Julio Jones, with health and Matt Ryan's health, has less than 9 touchdowns AGAIN this year, will you admit that he struggles to get open in the red zone? 

6 qualifying seasons (one missed due to injury), a single season over 8 touchdown receptions.  Three seasons under 7 touchdowns. 

It's not all Rodgers.  Don't act like it is.  James Jones had 5 red zone touchdowns in Derek Carr's rookie year. 

If Julio Jones was the most dominant receiver in the NFL, he'd have more than 3 touchdowns.  From ANYWHERE on the field.  He had three touchdowns TOTAL last year.  How do you account for that?  Bad luck? 

No I won't admit he's bad in the redzone until I see one of the Monstars steal his talent when Atlanta has a 1st and goal at the 8.

Seriously, guy gets open everywhere, he's a generational freak. You think once he gets inside the 20 he becomes a worse route runner? Slower? Less physical? 

I just showed you someone who watched the film that said Julio had 9 catchable passes in the redzone last year. He caught 5 of the 9. Two were at the 1 yardline. I don't see any problems other than the best WR in the league was only given 9 catchable passes in the red zone.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

No, I don't think he'd throw better balls if Jones were MORE open.  Bad accuracy has nothing to do with the WR being open.  Julio Jones shouldn't need to be 7 yards from the nearest defender to geta  catchable ball.  Blaming a QB's bad accuracy on thew WR not getting open enough is ignorant.  

Every target Jones received in the last 2 years inside the 10.  How can anyone watch this video and come away believing that Julio Jones is at fault for Matt Ryan's lack of accuracy.  

Julio Jones has been the best NFL in NFL history through his first 90 games.  He crushed both the yards and catches total (held by 2 different players) through the span.  

And you're still referring only to the red zone.  He has averaged .45 touchdowns a game over his career.

Antonio Freeman averaged more touchdowns a game than Julio Jones.  You should probably stop saying he's a generational freak.  Those generational freaks come into the NFL all the time.  Jeff Janis compared to everything Julio Jones had physically and he sucked. 

Julio Jones has generational physical talent, and yet he can't get into the endzone.  This is sounding a lot like arguments for Favre when people tried to suggest he was the unluckiest QB ever with some of his interceptions.

If a QB throws a lot of interceptions, it's probably their fault.  If a receiver can't get into the endzone, there's something lacking from their game. 

In no world should Antonio Freeman have more touchdowns per game than Julio Jones. 

If you want to argue whether or not Julio Jones is one of the most physically gifted receivers in the NFL, I won't argue it.  He is. 

That doesn't mean anything.  Jeff Janis and probably literally 1,000 players in the NFL prove that physical talent and ability isn't everything. 

Julio Jones is not a top 5 receiver in the league.  He very clearly has a problem getting into the endzone.  Yards don't win games. 

Antonio Brown has played in 124 games (29 more than Jones).  He wasn't even a starter until his third year in the league.  He had zero touchdowns in his first season.  2 in his second.  He still averages more touchdowns a game than Julio Jones. 

Julio Jones is not cursed.  He struggles to score touchdowns.  That's not due to a lack of physical ability, it's something else.  Call it what you want, but don't call it bad luck. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And you're still referring only to the red zone.  He has averaged .45 touchdowns a game over his career.

Antonio Freeman averaged more touchdowns a game than Julio Jones.  You should probably stop saying he's a generational freak.  Those generational freaks come into the NFL all the time.  Jeff Janis compared to everything Julio Jones had physically and he sucked. 

Julio Jones has generational physical talent, and yet he can't get into the endzone.  This is sounding a lot like arguments for Favre when people tried to suggest he was the unluckiest QB ever with some of his interceptions.

If a QB throws a lot of interceptions, it's probably their fault.  If a receiver can't get into the endzone, there's something lacking from their game. 

In no world should Antonio Freeman have more touchdowns per game than Julio Jones. 

If you want to argue whether or not Julio Jones is one of the most physically gifted receivers in the NFL, I won't argue it.  He is. 

That doesn't mean anything.  Jeff Janis and probably literally 1,000 players in the NFL prove that physical talent and ability isn't everything. 

Julio Jones is not a top 5 receiver in the league.  He very clearly has a problem getting into the endzone.  Yards don't win games. 

Antonio Brown has played in 124 games (29 more than Jones).  He wasn't even a starter until his third year in the league.  He had zero touchdowns in his first season.  2 in his second.  He still averages more touchdowns a game than Julio Jones. 

Julio Jones is not cursed.  He struggles to score touchdowns.  That's not due to a lack of physical ability, it's something else.  Call it what you want, but don't call it bad luck. 

Film was just posted above. I count 2 TDs he should've come down with.

Matt Ryan isn't a great QB.

Julio is the best WR in the game.

Just now, SSG said:

No, I don't think he'd throw better balls if Jones were MORE open.  Bad accuracy has nothing to do with the WR being open.  Julio Jones shouldn't need to be 7 yards from the nearest defender to geta  catchable ball.  Blaming a QB's bad accuracy on thew WR not getting open enough is ignorant. 

Every target Jones received in the last 2 years inside the 10.  How can anyone watch this video and come away believing that Julio Jones is at fault for Matt Ryan's lack of accuracy.  

Julio Jones has been the best NFL in NFL history through his first 90 games.  He crushed both the yards and catches total (held by 2 different players) through the span.  

Again, you're both only using red zone.  He had a single touchdown outside of the 20 yard line last year. 

Two outside of the redzone in 2016. 

Three outside of the redzone in 2015.

Four in 2014.

Are you both seriously suggesting that Julio Jones is just unlucky and that Matt Ryan is to blame for his lack of touchdowns? 

Because Matt Ryan won MVP a year ago. 

Film was just posted above. I count 2 TDs he should've come down with.

Matt Ryan isn't a great QB.

Julio is the best WR in the game.

Was Matt Ryan not a great QB in 2016 when he won MVP? 

Two touchdowns he should have come down with is two touchdowns he didn't come down with.  Julio isn't the best WR in the game. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Was Matt Ryan not a great QB in 2016 when he won MVP? 

Two touchdowns he should have come down with is two touchdowns he didn't come down with.  Julio isn't the best WR in the game. 

Matt Ryan put up the best numbers in the NFL that year, but I've never considered him a top 5 QB in the game.

Julio has had over 1400 freaking yards the last 4 years.

You telling me if Davante comes up with 90 catches, 1500 yards and 5 TDs this year you'll be disappointed?

Matt Ryan put up the best numbers in the NFL that year, but I've never considered him a top 5 QB in the game.

Julio has had over 1400 freaking yards the last 4 years.

You telling me if Davante comes up with 90 catches, 1500 yards and 5 TDs this year you'll be disappointed?

Please answer my question first.  Then I'll answer yours.  Quid Pro Quo, Clarice.

Who is a better QB, Andy Dalton or Matt Ryan? 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who is better, Andy Dalton or Matt Ryan?  Please answer. 

AJ Green - .56 touchdowns a game with Andy Dalton.
Julio Jones - .46 touchdowns a game with Matt Ryan. 

Conspiracy. 

1.6 touchdowns a year. That worth the almost 500 yards more a season Jones has averaged the last 4 years? No.

Archived