2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

12 hours ago, Beast said:

11th what? ... Because I thought PFF had him as the 29th rated ILB, with a below average rating last year according to this

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/navorro-bowman/5615

And PFF had Bowman on FAs to avoid list

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-free-agents-to-avoid

To be fair, PFF's knock on him is this: "He went from one of the league’s best all-around linebackers to now someone you’d rather have watching from the sidelines on third downs."

Run guy that gets evacuated on 3rd down is kind of exactly the role that we'd want him to play. Anyone we sign to replace Ryan is going to be a limited-role guy. I don't follow the rest of the league all that closely. What other guys are out there at the same price tag that would be a marked improvement?

2 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

To be fair, PFF's knock on him is this: "He went from one of the league’s best all-around linebackers to now someone you’d rather have watching from the sidelines on third downs."

Sounds a lot like Ryan minus the whole "best all-around linebacker" thing. Bowman is the perfect replacement for Ryan. If his knees are right, he's an upgrade from Ryan. Just depends on how much $$ he's after.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh their LB/DL/OL grades are good. Bowman was legit good last year. WR/DB grades are terrible because they grade off TV tape.

People with brains realize why guys like him grade high. Sadly most people are idiots who will think it means he's actually a top 11 NFL linebacker

18 hours ago, persiandud said:

why is it pointless? do you have some other data that shows that Bowman performed poorly?

just seems en vogue to schit on PFF, not sure why

Do I actually need to explain this? 

If people weren't 95% idiots it would be fine. But it rules the world now. Until you've played mock off season type games before and after the existence of PFF you'll never understand how terrible it is. Nothing else matters but that score.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting. Actually was hoping GB would grab Hearns in the 7th or nab him as an UDFA. Adds EDGE competition.

Just hope this isn't the response to losing Jake Ryan.

Can you give us ignorati a thumbnail on Hearns, please? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Can you give us ignorati a thumbnail on Hearns, please? Thanks.

He's older, like 24 i think. Played 5 years at Louisville I believe. Had decent production off the edge the last few years. I'd classify him as basically the opposite of a guy like Donnerson. Whereas Donnerson is an athletic freak but raw af, Hearns is a more polished, but stiff and less athletic rusher.

5 hours ago, Norm said:

Do I actually need to explain this? 

If people weren't 95% idiots it would be fine. But it rules the world now. Until you've played mock off season type games before and after the existence of PFF you'll never understand how terrible it is. Nothing else matters but that score.

does that mean it should be immediately discounted from a discussion about a players quality, though? 

i agree with you, people cling onto it like it's the only thing that matters. it CAN be a resource, but people ruin it. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Ted is still GM lol

Def a Ted-like move but I believe we were at 89 players so the move doesnt replace Ryan per se....

I swear though if Gute puts Ryan on IR and claims some other nobody UDFA castoff, I'm going to start to have Ted flashback nightmares. 

When you lose a starter to injury, you do what the Titans just did. I'm sure they had young safeties who they could have played when Cyprien went down. But instead of crossing their fingers, they just signed Vaccaro. Problem fixed.

31 minutes ago, persiandud said:

does that mean it should be immediately discounted from a discussion about a players quality, though? 

i agree with you, people cling onto it like it's the only thing that matters. it CAN be a resource, but people ruin it. 

It's off too often to be anything except a tool people use when it proves them right and ignored when it doesn't lol

Anyways, he wasn't even 11th it appears

29 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Def a Ted-like move but I believe we were at 89 players so the move doesnt replace Ryan per se....

I swear though if Gute puts Ryan on IR and claims some other nobody UDFA castoff, I'm going to start to have Ted flashback nightmares. 

When you lose a starter to injury, you do what the Titans just did. I'm sure they had young safeties who they could have played when Cyprien went down. But instead of crossing their fingers, they just signed Vaccaro. Problem fixed.

who do you like out there in the ILB market sans Bowman 

Archived