2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Thomas is an old FA that we're not going to pay. 14 games of ET aren't worth a 2nd rounder.

Would you pay 29-year old Thomas $10 million/year over the next 3 years instead of 25-year hold HHCD $7 million/year over the next 5? I would. 

Listen to my man Peter, whoever the hell he is.....:D

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/9/18/17873710/packers-should-trade-earl-thomas-safety-seahawks-nfl-trade-rumors 

Green Bay can’t continue to delude itself when it comes to these safeties. They aren’t good enough. Especially when these young cornerbacks look like the real deal, it’s not fair to their development or to this team to pair them with sub-par safeties when better ones are out there to be had.

Gutekunst said he wants to be in on every player available. He showed that was true this offseason and nearly reeled in the biggest fish since Reggie White. It’s time to put the line back in the water and snag a prize-winning Seahawk.

Go get Earl Thomas.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hence the root of our disagreement.

I like our young secondary and I want to keep them altogether and add a pass rush. Thomas is a declining player who's going to want a double digit number, like a Jimmy Graham type deal. You won't have many years to spread that bonus over so it will be a larger up front hit. HHCD I can confidently give a long term deal and spread it out. I can grab a mid level FA and keep HHCD, that's more valuable than hoping Thomas can give me 2 more years and being down a 2nd.

Check out Pettine's press conference. He said he likes HHCD and Brice and mentioned their intelligence. Either he's lying, or that's who we roll with. HHCD will be evaluated over the next 15 weeks. Front offices aren't about panic moves involving 30 year old safeties and 30 million dollars. We are 2 weeks into a brand new scheme and coach. Might want to wait another 5 minutes or so before making definitive statements

Brice is right there. Hes grading above average, by years end no one will be complaining about his play. HHCD flashes but he's very inconsistent right now. He's got plays where he'll kill 2 routes from his read and then give up a TD on another. I think he needs to trust the other guys and just do his job a little more let the plays come to him. There's upside at the S position. EDGE is more dire.

50 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Check out Pettine's press conference. He said he likes HHCD and Brice and mentioned their intelligence. Either he's lying, or that's who we roll with. HHCD will be evaluated over the next 15 weeks. Front offices aren't about panic moves involving 30 year old safeties and 30 million dollars. We are 2 weeks into a brand new scheme and coach. Might want to wait another 5 minutes or so before making definitive statements

I mean he's not going to say his guys suck. Bottom line is I'm expecting our safety play the rest of the year to be pretty similar to what we saw Week 2. Hope I'm wrong. I've got no problem with HHCD or Brice if they are playing within 10 yards of the LOS, no problem at all. Outside of that 10-yard area, I think you're going to see two guys who are a step too late on 95% of plays their way. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I mean he's not going to say his guys suck. Bottom line is I'm expecting our safety play the rest of the year to be pretty similar to what we saw Week 2. Hope I'm wrong. I've got no problem with HHCD or Brice if they are playing within 10 yards of the LOS, no problem at all. Outside of that 10-yard area, I think you're going to see two guys who are a step too late on 95% of plays their way. 

IMO that's flawed thinking. We are talking about 2 young guys 2 weeks into a new system. If we had 2 older, declining guys, I could see your point. Some level of patience needs to be exercised before the panic button is hit

On 9/18/2018 at 12:58 PM, packfanfb said:

Listen to my man Peter, whoever the hell he is.....:D

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/9/18/17873710/packers-should-trade-earl-thomas-safety-seahawks-nfl-trade-rumors 

Green Bay can’t continue to delude itself when it comes to these safeties. They aren’t good enough. Especially when these young cornerbacks look like the real deal, it’s not fair to their development or to this team to pair them with sub-par safeties when better ones are out there to be had.

Gutekunst said he wants to be in on every player available. He showed that was true this offseason and nearly reeled in the biggest fish since Reggie White. It’s time to put the line back in the water and snag a prize-winning Seahawk.

Go get Earl Thomas.

Peter’s deluded.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, cannondale said:

IMO that's flawed thinking. We are talking about 2 young guys 2 weeks into a new system. If we had 2 older, declining guys, I could see your point. Some level of patience needs to be exercised before the panic button is hit

Sadly, barely a quarter of one game can go by before some people slap their meaty paw on the panic button

On 9/18/2018 at 11:53 AM, packfanfb said:

Would you pay 29-year old Thomas $10 million/year over the next 3 years instead of 25-year hold HHCD $7 million/year over the next 5? I would. 

Yes .. I would as well.  Thomas is a difference maker and would be a nice veteran addition to the Packers defense.

Archived