2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

16 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

If I was a betting man (which I definitely am) I'd say we're a lock to sign on the FA safeties this offseason. Really strong class overall with Earl, Landon Collins, Joyner, Amos, Honey Badger. Personal preference is Mathieu, he'd look pretty dang good in Green & Gold.

I hope so. I would love to see Earl or Landon here. Those are the only 2 I would be willing to pay top safety money to.

18 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

If I was a betting man (which I definitely am) I'd say we're a lock to sign on the FA safeties this offseason. Really strong class overall with Earl, Landon Collins, Joyner, Amos, Honey Badger. Personal preference is Mathieu, he'd look pretty dang good in Green & Gold.

I'm thinking Earl Thomas might be the guy .. Gute showed he was not afraid to spend dough on a 30 year old TE with an injury history when he inked Graham.  Earl Thomas is a hall of fame level talent, and he might end up paying dividends for us like Charles Woodson did several years back.  Woody was 29 when he was brought to GB.  I am thinking that Earl wants to go to the Cowboys really bad, so my guess is he may wind up there.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm thinking Earl Thomas might be the guy .. Gute showed he was not afraid to spend dough on a 30 year old TE with an injury history when he inked Graham.  Earl Thomas is a hall of fame level talent, and he might end up paying dividends for us like Charles Woodson did several years back.  Woody was 29 when he was brought to GB.  I am thinking that Earl wants to go to the Cowboys really bad, so my guess is he may wind up there.  

The difference being Graham is still a large human with big strong hands when his speed is gone. Earl is a small safety reliant on his speed who just had major leg trauma.

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would target Landon Collins, 24 years old with a lot of good years in front of him. 

19 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I go back and forth on that guy.  Couple major injuries close together, but that isn't a deal breaker for me.  I fear what he will want as a contract.  If he still has his wheels and GB can get an "out" after 2-3 years, then I'm good with it.  I fear 10M+ for a safety who lose his elite trait (speed).

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I go back and forth on that guy.  Couple major injuries close together, but that isn't a deal breaker for me.  I fear what he will want as a contract.  If he still has his wheels and GB can get an "out" after 2-3 years, then I'm good with it.  I fear 10M+ for a safety who lose his elite trait (speed).

Thomas has elite instincts, but the NFL is a cruel business. Just about the time you get it all figured out mentally, the physical part begins its inevitable decline and breaking the same leg twice ain't helping. Pettine was in Seattle all of 2017, so he knows a thing or two about Earl, but as you noted the price tag will be high and we'd have to outbid Dallas, where Thomas truly wants to be next year. Seattle -  who knows the most about him, demurred on writing the fat check.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Thomas has elite instincts, but the NFL is a cruel business. Just about the time you get it all figured out mentally, the physical part begins its inevitable decline and breaking the same leg twice ain't helping. Pettine was in Seattle all of 2017, so he knows a thing or two about Earl, but as you noted the price tag will be high and we'd have to outbid Dallas, where Thomas truly wants to be next year. Seattle -  who knows the most about him, demurred on writing the fat check.

Fortunately, safety doesn't rely as heavily on your physical tools as say corners.  I'm not fond of paying him elite S money for 4-5 years.  2-3 years I'd be fine with, but much longer than that and I'm moving past him.

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Fortunately, safety doesn't rely as heavily on your physical tools as say corners.  I'm not fond of paying him elite S money for 4-5 years.  2-3 years I'd be fine with, but much longer than that and I'm moving past him.

That is where I'm at with him.  Good money for 2-3 years.  Extend if he's still playing at a high level.  What I really like about him is his veteran mind...I think he would have a great impact on the young corners, Josh Jones and whatever safety we draft.  That's the x-factor for me...his knowledge.  And...he's a champion.

That's why I go back and forth with him...he can offer so much between the ears, but how much is that really worth on a contract?  I still remember how smart Marquand Manuel was supposed to be and he was awful in the secondary.  And still he's a defensive coordinator now...and, uh,  not someone you want interviewing guys at the combine.

If Earl could be had for 2-3 years of good money, he'd still be a Seahawk. But....he set his demands very high to maximize his payday AND to help make the trade to Dallas more likely. Earl isn't taking any kind of discount to play in GB, he could have had that in Seattle. If you want him, you'd have to outbid Dallas by a significant amount and now we're back to overpaying a player on the downside of his career.

Thoughts on Brandon Scherff?  I know he won't hit the open market, but the fact that he tore his pec opens that door slightly.  Maybe Washington will let him shop around to see if his value declined at all.

Before the injury he was in line for 5 years and 75m.  He could easily have lost 10m with the injury.

What I would like about a guy like that is he takes one of the worst positions on the team, RG, and you fill it with an all-pro.  He could also swing out to RT in an emergency and immediately be better than any backup we currently have.  (Not all that dissimilar to Mike Wahle.)

6 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Thoughts on Brandon Scherff?  I know he won't hit the open market, but the fact that he tore his pec opens that door slightly.  Maybe Washington will let him shop around to see if his value declined at all.

Before the injury he was in line for 5 years and 75m.  He could easily have lost 10m with the injury.

What I would like about a guy like that is he takes one of the worst positions on the team, RG, and you fill it with an all-pro.  He could also swing out to RT in an emergency and immediately be better than any backup we currently have.  (Not all that dissimilar to Mike Wahle.)

Paying 13 million per year for a RG is just horrific value. If you think he's a long term value at RT, you discuss it. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Since Bahktiari in 2013, GB has not "hit" on an IOL/OL player.

Linsley I feel is average, probably fine to say that is a hit, but GB needs to get back to that draft pick production.

Definitely a position of need. Had high hopes for Cole Madison, but right now we can't hope for much there. Can Murphy swing inside? 

Archived