2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
36 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

@HorizontoZenith Why such a long post when I'm at work...

Because it took precisely that much length to prove to you how you're wrong.  In a perfect world where backups are good, plentiful and cheap, sure.  It's far from a perfect world. 

You didn't though, you cherry picked stats once again to try to push your agenda. You post their first game as a starter to prove your point? What is the average career for an NFL QB? It isn't 12 years, or 15 years, or 10 years. Thats how long those 3 guys have been in the NFL.

Once again, I would like a VETERAN QB who is WILLING TO BE A BACKUP over Hundley, who we have now seen, with 2 full years in the program before starting, playing terribly and limiting our offense. $2 was a number and yes, maybe a little low, but cutting Hundley would save us $700k on the cap with only $56k dead, use that and subtract that from the contract you'd give the vet.

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Last year proved our roster can't support anything less than a HOF QB so a backup at that position comes a distant 8th on my list of concerns

Yeah it's below EDGE, CB, OG, WR, and TE for me, so 6th. But it's still something I would address. I'm not looking to win a superbowl with a backup, I'm looking to go .400-.500 instead of .250 without Rodgers. 

8 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Chase Daniels just signed a vet min contract with the Saints to be a backup.

The reason he agreed to that number with NO was because he was still being paid by Philly:

"Philly still owed $5 million in guarantees to Daniel, which will be offset somewhat by whatever New Orleans pays him"

Not sure exactly how the offset language works in terms of his paycheck, but he earned $ 5+ million last season

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The reason he agreed to that number with NO was because he was still being paid by Philly:

"Philly still owed $5 million in guarantees to Daniel, which will be offset somewhat by whatever New Orleans pays him"

Not sure exactly how the offset language works in terms of his paycheck, but he earned $ 5+ million last season

That's a great point. However I think that his next contract is in that Fitz deal range. 3-4m

On 2/12/2018 at 4:38 PM, craig said:

This is a scouting question for which I'm unqualified.  But I'm actually pretty interested in Burton.  Not sure he's going to cost that much; and not confident that he's more than a middling TE.  But I think that guy can really run well for a TE.  Don't expect much blocking, but I think he might prove out to be more than middling if you got him playing with #12.  I'd be interested in taking a shot there. 

Second, compared to Kendricks and what we've had for recent years, I think a middling, average TE would be a huge boost.  Somebody average would be a huge upgrade on bad.  On the broad continuum between bad and excellent, I think Kendricks might be a lot further towards the "bad" end.  Even "average" could be a big step forward.

Third, I think the Packers pass-catching collection is very limited.  (TE especially, WR as well, RB also.)  Adding a target could make a big difference, I think.  Worth considering, including at the presumably limited number of millions that a TE like Burton would cost.  

Fourth, I think players understand that Rodgers is good.  I'd think a guy who hasn't been a starter could easily imagine himself making a lot of catches if given the chance to get a lot of snaps with #12.  I think that would be appealing.  So I think there's a chance a pass-catching guy might not need quite as much overpay to want to come to Green Bay as might be true for a defensive player.  Maybe an opportunity to get better-value-per-buck.    

It's not that I don't like Burton, I just think it limits us to what we're able to do schematically.  From what I've seen, he doesn't really offer much in terms of in-line blocking.

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Kinda blows my mind people want us to spend money on a backup QB to be honest.  We are not the Eagles or the Vikings.  We will not be the Eagles or the Vikings next year.  If Rodgers is hurt and can't play in the playoffs, our season is over anyway.  Our road to a Super Bowl is directly tied to Aaron's health. 

Next year maybe it makes sense.  With our roster the way it is, it doesn't make sense.  Especially if it's any kind of contract that factors into any compensatory picks we might get. 

I'm not opposed to spending money on a backup QB given what we saw out of Brett Hundley, but I'm not paying a ton to do so.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Because it took precisely that much length to prove to you how you're wrong.  In a perfect world where backups are good, plentiful and cheap, sure.  It's far from a perfect world. 

I think the better argument to make is that $2M-$5M better off spent elsewhere?  That's where it gets unclear.

Well, according to Colin Cowherd, “The Packers Super Bowl window has closed!”  He goes on to state that there’s several other teams in the NFC with better coaches, better personnel, great QB’s, and much stronger defenses than GB, in spite of AR’s greatness.  He thinks Philly, LA, Saints, Minny, even San Fran are top to bottom better than GB, and for that reason, most top FA’s won’t want to go to GB.  Obvious hatred of Cowherd aside, comment on his statement with something other than “rubbish”.  Does he make a fair point and are we too passionate about our team to see the writing on the wall, or, is he wrong because.....?

13 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Stanton? Fitzpatrick? McCown? I would take any of those 3 in a heartbeat. Just hard to see a vet backup QB wanting to go to Wisconsin. Stanton in Arizona, Fitz in Florida, McCown in New York....

and they're all old AF... I get the idea of a "veteran" QB as a back-up, but c'mon...

15 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The best way to handle this might be to teach AR to throw the damn ball away and live for another play.

What is that gonna do?  He's still gonna get hit.  Hell he got hit well after he released the ball when he broke his clavicle this year.  

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Well, according to Colin Cowherd, “The Packers Super Bowl window has closed!”  He goes on to state that there’s several other teams in the NFC with better coaches, better personnel, great QB’s, and much stronger defenses than GB, in spite of AR’s greatness.  He thinks Philly, LA, Saints, Minny, even San Fran are top to bottom better than GB, and for that reason, most top FA’s won’t want to go to GB.  Obvious hatred of Cowherd aside, comment on his statement with something other than “rubbish”.  Does he make a fair point and are we too passionate about our team to see the writing on the wall, or, is he wrong because.....?

Colin Cowherd has made a living trashing the Packers. He jumped on the Aaron Rodgers is overrated bandwagon extremely early on and hasn't let up. I can't stand listening to him. Although in his defense he has been extremely high on Wisconsin collegiate sports in general. 

Take what he says with a grain of salt. If Minnesota is suddenly not good next year he will just ignore his previous statements and say something else while throwing in an analogy that makes no sense. 

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

No. Things can turn around quickly in the NFL with one good offseason. Two years ago Philly was 7-9.

21 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Colin Cowherd has made a living trashing the Packers. He jumped on the Aaron Rodgers is overrated bandwagon extremely early on and hasn't let up. I can't stand listening to him. Although in his defense he has been extremely high on Wisconsin collegiate sports in general. 

Take what he says with a grain of salt. If Minnesota is suddenly not good next year he will just ignore his previous statements and say something else while throwing in an analogy that makes no sense. 

He's openly said he trolls our fans because we get so upset on radio before. Lol

40 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:
1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

He's openly said he trolls our fans because we get so upset on radio before. Lol

Yup.  He knows what to say about teams with large fan bases that will drive ratings and general numbers beneficial to him and his employer.  The idea that fans get bent out of shape about it is a bit funny to me.  

His job is to generate discussion and ratings more than be factual in the process.  

Archived