2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

I didn't believe the rumors that we showed interest in Robinson. All Rapoport tweeted was "I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers show interest in Robinson
  and "the Packers could be interested" when it comes to Robinson. That's very different from "the Packers are interested in Robinson". 

I do believe the rumor that we're showing interest in Graham because we need help at the TE position. 

Just now, Brit Pack said:

For the majority of free agents, if we choose to pursue, I want guys on second contracts not third, still in their 20's and want to prove something. Not in their 30's and wanting to come to Green Bay cos they just want pick up a cheque. 

I disagree.  The second contracts are the overpay.  The third contracts are the ones where you get value because everybody else thinks they're done.  Peppers and Woodson were our two best free agent signings of the Thompson era considering value, and both of them were old by NFL standards. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And location isn't exclusively weather.  There's stuff for millionaires to do in Chicago.  Applebee's gets boring after a while. 

I'm sure there is, just never liked the city of Chicago lol, always thought it was a boring city.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

The decisions made. The data's in. Green Bay is not now - nor has it ever been - the Garden Spot destination for Free Agents. Done. Got it.

It's the smallest market in the NFL. There's consequences to being the smallest market in the NFL. This is know. Has been known for some time.

That said - Robinson and Watkins just got overpaid. Bigtime IMO. This is also known.

Robinson didnt. If healthy, hes worth that contract. Look at what we just gave Adams. Id take Robinson over Adams any day. Issue there is simply "is he the same after the ACL?" Jordy sure wasnt but he was also about 5 years older. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_86 said:

I didn't believe the rumors that we showed interest in Robinson. All Rapoport tweeted was "I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers show interest in Robinson
  and "the Packers could be interested" when it comes to Robinson. That's very different from "the Packers are interested in Robinson". 

I do believe the rumor that we're showing interest in Graham because we need help at the TE position. 

Ya I think we are more interested in Graham at this point, also with that tidbit about Rodgers wanting to play with him in green bay.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Robinson didnt. If healthy, hes worth that contract. Look at what we just gave Adams. Id take Robinson over Adams any day. Issue there is simply "is he the same after the ACL?" Jordy sure wasnt but he was also about 5 years older. 

Those are still major question marks which cannot be ignored. At that price he better be the same after the ACL. 

Just now, Chinaski_86 said:

Those are still major question marks which cannot be ignored. At that price he better be the same after the ACL. 

Sure, thats what we dont know. Obv yhe Bears feel confident about it.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The difference is that nobody is denying Watkins and Robinson just got overpaid while some people still think the Packers have no disadvantage when it comes to attracting free agents.

I've never been to Green Bay. I've never been to Wisconsin. That said - enough information regards both is readily available to make a judgement of it in relation or regards other destinations. It's wanting in comparison.

Really (really) small but indicative point - Mo Wilkerson is in town for some "wining and dining" - and apparently theres few choices to truly "show him the town" (so to speak). Well - that player has to live there after the wining and dining is done. Again - a really small (and stupid) yardstick - but indicative as other locations - alot of other locations - dont have the same problem. Quite the opposite. 

So - the concept of not overpaying FAs is valid and warranted in GBs situation. Fiscal restraint and accountability is very important to such a small market team - and we've got a handful of well paid athletes - based on the previous contract cycle - and they''re about to go higher - versus a CAP which (for the first time in awhile) declined.

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Ya I think we are more interested in Graham at this point, also with that tidbit about Rodgers wanting to play with him in green bay.

Both Garafolo and Pellisero reported that the Packers had already reached out to the representatives for Graham. There were never any reports that the Packers did the same with Robinson or Watkins. Only reports that they "could" be interested.

5 minutes ago, Chinaski_86 said:

I bet we had more interest in Robinson than Watkins.  I'd say once the Packers learned Watkins' market was in the $12+ mil range, GB quickly exited. As for Robinson, I knew all along he'd get at least in the $11-$12 mil range (he got about $14 mil) which isnt crazy but I bet GB was looking a 1 year proposal and the Bears (and maybe other teams) committed to 3. No brainer for Robinson at that point.

I've been to Green Bay twice, and relative to other places I've seen (and I've been to 38 states and I've lived in 7 different states), Green Bay has nothing to do.  That's just me being realistic, not insulting.  Green Bay is my type of town.  I would move there if it wasn't for the curse. 

I moved to Arizona before the Cardinals lost the Super Bowl, I moved to Colorado before the Broncos lost, I moved to North Carolina before the Panthers lost... Can't move to Wisconsin. 

36 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Don't know why we were showing interest in them anyway.  I'm gonna go ahead and call Gute an idiot at this point. 

Rollins and King at corner, both coming off major injuries and surgeries.  Let's go after receivers. 

At this point, Gute is an idiot. 

Why is showing interest a bad thing? He ultimately didn’t sign either. Unlike TT, it seems like Gute is actually having the conversations to gain information even if he has the intention of signing the player or not.

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Thats cool and I wont question your opinion - but do what I just did and look up both Adams & Robinsons career stats.

Open up two windows and toggle back and forth checking / comparing production - which is what counts.

I personally dont see any "over Adams any day" differentials.

They look relatively similar - really similar - in which instance, my comment about Robinson being overpaid is incorrect. He's right there with Adams - and he just got Adams market rate.

Archived