49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, xXFlyteXx said:

Sorry bud The Niners snagged Steve Young for a second round pick as well that will be the best trade ever for this franchise unless Jimmy brings two more SB and makes the HOF.

Like I said, best trade in franchise history

Excatly what I was hoping for....far market value considering the cost of living in Silicon Valley. Super estatic Lynch and Co. got this done as quickly as they did. Think Lynch has had a phenomenal first year as GM. Way to close out the league year. 

I'm surprised a little that we made him the highest paid quarterback in the nfl (however temporary it is when Cousins signs), but nothing about this deal is bad. The guarantees aren't even exorbitant. A risky move given the small sample size still, but one that had to be made. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm surprised a little that we made him the highest paid quarterback in the nfl (however temporary it is when Cousins signs), but nothing about this deal is bad. The guarantees aren't even exorbitant. A risky move given the small sample size still, but one that had to be made. 

yeah I would love for it to be a calendar year later and they are still saying "Jimmy Garropolo has yet to lose a game as a starter" but hell I'll gladly take 12-4 or 13-3

lets hope this investment pans out

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yup. it would be a lot riskier to try and low ball and ruin the relationship.

Not sure it got mentioned, but I guess it's 90 million in the first three years? That's great too. Would have proffered to hit 100 the first three years, but oh well. 

100 million in the first three years would be too much. We still have to sign Ansah and Pugh. Plus Tartt and Brown will both be need contract extension in the next 2ish years.

I love everything about this contract thus far. I'm extraordinarily happy right now.

1 hour ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Like I said, best trade in franchise history

I'm glad others rightfully pointed out Young and Rice, but I am with you. I think this will go down as the greatest trade in franchise history. On top of Garoppolo making throws that few others can make and having a vision for the game that few can match, he has one of the best offensive minds of this generation as his coach. He's going to reach heights this franchise hasn't seen statistically. 

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

The average will be 27,5, sure, but I hope he gets his two biggest cap hits in the first two years. 

So, if we can give Jimmy 35-40m his first two years, he'll be cheap the rest of the way.

or, he will hold out and demand a raise after those first two seasons, and SF's 6th and 7th Lombardi trophies!!!!

16601729.gif

... but on this news itself? I is very happy! Good for Jimmy G and SF. 

53 minutes ago, Geek said:

100 million in the first three years would be too much. We still have to sign Ansah and Pugh. Plus Tartt and Brown will both be need contract extension in the next 2ish years.

I love everything about this contract thus far. I'm extraordinarily happy right now.

I thought we were trying to build a winner? ;) 

Good. I'm glad this didn't continue to drag out. I have to say, because of things that have happened in recent years where the team just seemed cursed (retiring players, players getting in trouble, extension talks breaking down) there was a part of me that was just waiting for the roof to cave in. Now, Jimmy just has to prove he was worth every penny, which I think he will do. Shanahan and Jimmy could be the next coach/quarterback combo that will be talked about for a long time. Exciting times ahead.

Also, it's nice to know that I won't have to read or hear anymore scenarios from scribes and prognosticators regarding Jimmy holding the team hostage because he wants to go to the highest bidder in free agency, especially in light of Washington replacing Cousins with Alex Smith. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

The price is very fair if he plays as well as he's looked. By the time it's up it will appear to be a bargain. My biggest concern would be injury or somehow not living up to the potential he's showed.  That's where the guarantees come in and those seem right in line with  the risk.

5 hours ago, Geek said:

and I like everything about this post.  Adding Pugh and Ansah to a long term deal for Garappolo would make this a perfect free agency for me.

Archived