49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

Of course, but I just think Kittle will be the guy that ends up standing out the most. He has the most mismatch potential from the bunch. But this will truly be strength in numbers with the amount of weapons Jimmy G will have on pretty much every single down. It is HUGE that both our RB and FB are legit threats out of the backfield. Shanahan is going to have a lot of fun with this receiving core. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course, but I just think Kittle will be the guy that ends up standing out the most. He has the most mismatch potential from the bunch. But this will truly be strength in numbers with the amount of weapons Jimmy G will have on pretty much every single down. It is HUGE that both our RB and FB are legit threats out of the backfield. Shanahan is going to have a lot of fun with this receiving core. 

And so are we! B|

Really like how our receiving is constructed right now. Not only the backfield but also at receiver. We don't have that true #1 superstar receiver but a lot of guys that can do different things. Having to defend Goodwin running a fly route one play to then defending Garcon and to finish it off a splash of Pettis will make it even harder on the CB. 

It is nice to have that true bonafide superstar receiver but give me a stable of #2's #3's with all different skill sets and let Shanahan and Jimmy work their magic puts so much extra pressure on the D and makes it easier to handle the cap.

32 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Really like how our receiving is constructed right now. Not only the backfield but also at receiver. We don't have that true #1 superstar receiver but a lot of guys that can do different things. Having to defend Goodwin running a fly route one play to then defending Garcon and to finish it off a splash of Pettis will make it even harder on the CB. 

It is nice to have that true bonafide superstar receiver but give me a stable of #2's #3's with all different skill sets and let Shanahan and Jimmy work their magic puts so much extra pressure on the D and makes it easier to handle the cap.

Really, I don't think you need a superstar #1 if you have the right corps (this is me agreeing with you, btw). I don't see a redzone threat, so the shifty guys that can create space in small quarters will be huge, but I believe the corps here has all the other needed pieces. And - I can't yet rule out that a guy like Pettis might be able to fill that redzone role anyway.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yeah- I'm hyped for Kittle, too. For a pretty crazy comparison, Vernon Davis didn't best Kittle's receiving numbers (other than TDs) until his 4th year in the league. After the superstar Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Gronk, and Jimmy Graham types, I think Kittle has my ideal traits I want in a TE. Especially with how his career is setup in terms of coach/QB, he very well could have a Jason Witten-like career.

I was more commenting on how complicated it is to tell exactly who is going to be the guy. You can tell me almost anyone in the weapons list and I'd be inclined to believe it for a multitude of reasons (injury included).

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Really, I don't think you need a superstar #1 if you have the right corps (this is me agreeing with you, btw). I don't see a redzone threat, so the shifty guys that can create space in small quarters will be huge, but I believe the corps here has all the other needed pieces. And - I can't yet rule out that a guy like Pettis might be able to fill that redzone role anyway.

I think Kyle doesn't value length in the red zone. He prefers to have guys that create separation quickly and beat his corner instead of just outmuscling/outjumping his opponent. 

This draft was great for grabbing a big jumpball receiver but apparently we are not interested in having one of those guys for now at least.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think Kyle doesn't value length in the red zone. He prefers to have guys that create separation quickly and beat his corner instead of just outmuscling/outjumping his opponent. 

This draft was great for grabbing a big jumpball receiver but apparently we are not interested in having one of those guys for now at least.

I agree that's how it looks ... although I don't agree with him on this. It seems to me that he's made it clear he prefers separation, and "all around" receivers. But sometimes separation is hard to get, annd sometimes there are so many defensive bodies jammed into the endzone that there is very little open space. The odd thing to me is that Shanny seems like a "special tools" sort of guy. Give him a guy with a special skill set and he'll figure how to use him effectively. I don't get why he doesn't want one of thhose 6'5" WRs with a big body and good hands. He could just be the last option sort of guy in case the guy that was supposed to get open doesn't. On any given Sunday you'll see a bunch of plays where a guy like that is pretty well covered but the defender simply can't get around the big body to knock the pass down. I don't see Celek or Kittle as that kind of guy. Maybe, a little, but I'd like us to have a WR like that too.

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really just don't get the infatuation that people have with "big" wide receivers just because they are big

I dont think i want to have a big receiver just because he is big. Having a guy that's 6'5 and can jump and has good hands is a threat in the red zone just by being on the field. Look back at Wards first season where he just got bullied by Marshall despite sticking to him like glue. I think its more about adding diversity and when you look at our receivers the easiest thing to see is that we don't have a receiver that is above 6'1. 

21 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I dont think i want to have a big receiver just because he is big. Having a guy that's 6'5 and can jump and has good hands is a threat in the red zone just by being on the field. Look back at Wards first season where he just got bullied by Marshall despite sticking to him like glue. I think its more about adding diversity and when you look at our receivers the easiest thing to see is that we don't have a receiver that is above 6'1. 

We haven't experienced Kyle Shanahan's style of O, either. Perhaps that just isn't necessary?

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Oh yeah- I'm hyped for Kittle, too. For a pretty crazy comparison, Vernon Davis didn't best Kittle's receiving numbers (other than TDs) until his 4th year in the league. After the superstar Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Gronk, and Jimmy Graham types, I think Kittle has my ideal traits I want in a TE. Especially with how his career is setup in terms of coach/QB, he very well could have a Jason Witten-like career.

I was more commenting on how complicated it is to tell exactly who is going to be the guy. You can tell me almost anyone in the weapons list and I'd be inclined to believe it for a multitude of reasons (injury included).

You always get questions like this, so here goes ... what TE has the most receptions over the past 4 seasons?

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really just don't get the infatuation that people have with "big" wide receivers just because they are big

Who has that kind of infatuation? No more so than with WRs just because they are fast, or NTs just because they are huge. Of course talent matters. But I'd rather have a talented 6'5" receiver than yet another talented receiver that's shorter than 6 feet. I don't want a guy "just" because he's big. But we don't need to hold out till we can get a Julio, or Green or Evans. We've got a whloe bunch of WRS that are number 2 kind of guys, or maybe even 3's or 4's. No reason why one of them can't be a big body. Why does every receiver need to be a clone of every other WR we have? A different kind of player gives you different kinds of options.  

Taylor and Bolden - 5'8", Goodwin and James - 5'9", Robinson - 5'10",  Garcon  and Pettis - 6' 0", and Bourne 6'1"

Looks to me like we're as averse to "long" WRs as are in love with "long" CBs

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've exhausted myself at trying to explain the myth of needing big WRs to beat press coverages or be red zone threats lol. Don't get me wrong, a bigger WR or TE could be a weapon in the red zone like Graham/Gronk/Johnson/TO/etc. But it is not a must need or anything, and we have seen other WRs who aren't as big be very good red zone threats. 

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Who has that kind of infatuation? No more so than with WRs just because they are fast, or NTs just because they are huge. Of course talent matters. But I'd rather have a talented 6'5" receiver than yet another talented receiver that's shorter than 6 feet. I don't want a guy "just" because he's big. But we don't need to hold out till we can get a Julio, or Green or Evans. We've got a whloe bunch of WRS that are number 2 kind of guys, or maybe even 3's or 4's. No reason why one of them can't be a big body. Why does every receiver need to be a clone of every other WR we have? A different kind of player gives you different kinds of options.  

Taylor and Bolden - 5'8", Goodwin and James - 5'9", Robinson - 5'10",  Garcon  and Pettis - 6' 0", and Bourne 6'1"

Looks to me like we're as averse to "long" WRs as are in love with "long" CBs

Shanny has already laid out what he wants from a WR. He prefers WRs that could threaten defenses deep and those that could beat press coverages and get open on third downs. So lets see, Goodwin is a WR that could threaten defenses deep. Pettis is a very good route runner that could beat press coverage, same as Garcon. Bourne has similar qualities to those two as well. Taylor/James are guys that have good short area quickness and are able to separate on third downs. Are any of those WRs perfect? Of course not. You would love a guy like Antonio Brown or Julio Jones that could beat press coverage, threaten defenses deep and separate on money downs. But every WR we have minus maybe Bolden has specific skill sets that Shanny values in a WR. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd love it if we had a #1 WR, a true elite guy, but that guy doesn't have to be big to have a huge impact. Antonio Brown isn't big, but he's a game-changer. A small elite WR will be just as good at making catches, just as good at catching TDs, and everything. Talent is more important than size. Sure, an elite WR who has size is nice. But that's like having a girlfriend who is also a great cook. It's not necessarily what you look for, but if it happens, then great! But not all the greatest girlfriends can cook. And as all my girlfriends said before giggling, size doesn't matter.

Archived