49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

We should have 77 million left after this deal for this off-season

I have us between 61 - 65 million depending on what the cap is (projected to be between 174 and 178). From what I can tell, based on those figures, his first year cap hit is 49 million. We have 113m currently, I believe

First year cap hit -

28m roster bonus + 12.8 per game roster bonus + 6.2 base + 1.4 salary cap proration + 600k workout = 49

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Based on Jimmy's AAV, he will account for about 15.4 - 15.8% of the cap if it's between 174 and 178 as expected. 

Now, this may not impact us, as I responded in the news forum. I never thought we were really competing for the playoffs next year - I figured 7-9 or 8-8 next year  because we aren't going to fix all of our problems. If we front the load the deal, particularly with a strong cap number in the first year (maybe 2), and the cap rises, by year three of this deal, which is when I would expect us to potentially be a possibly "elite" team (with 2019 being a playoff contenderish type year), then by then his deal is likely in that 13% range. 

You really think we'll only win 7 or 8 games next year? Even with all of our injuries we won 6 this year, and of the 10 losses two came in OT and 3 more came by a total of 7 points. Hard to believe that with another year for everyone to understand the system better, havving Jimmy all season, adding another draft class (hopefully as good as the last one), and then the possibility of adding another key piece in free agency I think that would be the absolute bottom end of the range. Personally I'll be really disappointed if we don't do better than that. I'm kind of hoping for an Eagles kind of year over year improvement.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

You really think we'll only win 7 or 8 games next year? Even with all of our injuries we won 6 this year, and of the 10 losses two came in OT and 3 more came by a total of 7 points. Hard to believe that with another year for everyone to understand the system better, havving Jimmy all season, adding another draft class (hopefully as good as the last one), and then the possibility of adding another key piece in free agency I think that would be the absolute bottom end of the range. Personally I'll be really disappointed if we don't do better than that. I'm kind of hoping for an Eagles kind of year over year improvement.

Yes. This is not a good roster. Everyone likes to bring up the games we barely lost, but then again, we barely won the games against Chicago, Tennessee and the Rams played their back ups. It evened out some. 

I'm glad we signed him but damn I thought he'd come a little bit cheaper than that. I get that he's a hot commodity and all but this seems too high for the overall body of work. It's not like he balled out in the playoffs and won us a Super Bowl. Either way I'm happy, he's locked in and hopefully he's the real deal.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes. This is not a good roster.

No. But the point is that it will be a better roster than this year, hopefully quite a bit better. I expect that Jimmy's presence alone might have made it possible to win every one of those 5 close losses. OK, maybe we wouldn't have won all five, but hard to believe he wouldn't be worth enough to win more than 1 or 2 of them. And I'm optimistic, perhaps too much so but it is what it is, that the roster will be quite a bit better. Heck even without looking at possible FA acquisitions or meaningful rookie contributions look at guys that ended the year on IR - Garnett, Brown, Williams, Mostert, Ward, Garcon, Smith and Armsted, plus injuries and a slow start for Foster. Not sure what the total number of games missed by those guys was but I know it was whole lot. Unless Jimmy gets hurt or doesn't play as well as we think he will based on the contract we gave him I'm hoping for something more like at least 3 or 4 more wins.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

No. But the point is that it will be a better roster than this year, hopefully quite a bit better. I expect that Jimmy's presence alone might have made it possible to win every one of those 5 close losses. OK, maybe we wouldn't have won all five, but hard to believe he wouldn't be worth enough to win more than 1 or 2 of them. And I'm optimistic, perhaps too much so but it is what it is, that the roster will be quite a bit better. Heck even without looking at possible FA acquisitions or meaningful rookie contributions look at guys that ended the year on IR - Garnett, Brown, Williams, Mostert, Ward, Garcon, Smith and Armsted, plus injuries and a slow start for Foster. Not sure what the total number of games missed by those guys was but I know it was whole lot. Unless Jimmy gets hurt or doesn't play as well as we think he will based on the contract we gave him I'm hoping for something more like at least 3 or 4 more wins.

A lot of teams rosters will be better this year. And you're banking on a lot of maybes. There's no guarantee we do anything in free agency besides sign some moderate pieces similar to what we did this year. Garnett hasn't been good, why are we suddenly thinking he is? Armstead is the same. Smith was bad the last time anyone saw him. Mostert is a special teams guy, a good one, but lets put perspective on what he means. 

We were seen as having a bottom 2-5 roster before the Garoppolo trade. Obviously he came and lit it up leading to five consecutive wins, but this roster still has a lot to improve on. With the insane amount of cap space available even with Garoppolo's contract, and nine picks in this upcoming draft, we have the resources to do a lot of damage. We could come away with three quality starters from free agency and another two or three from the draft. If that happens, then this team could absolutely win more than 7 or 8 games. Right now, it's a 8-8 ball club mainly due to Garoppolo. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We were seen as having a bottom 2-5 roster before the Garoppolo trade. Obviously he came and lit it up leading to five consecutive wins, but this roster still has a lot to improve on. With the insane amount of cap space available even with Garoppolo's contract, and nine picks in this upcoming draft, we have the resources to do a lot of damage. We could come away with three quality starters from free agency and another two or three from the draft. If that happens, then this team could absolutely win more than 7 or 8 games. Right now, it's a 8-8 ball club mainly due to Garoppolo. 

Pretty much. More information (such as free agent signings, draft class, etc), means re-evaluation. Right now, 7-9 or so is my cap based on current construction compared to other teams. We can revisit in 2-3 months. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looking at the contract, Garoppolo's cap hit after next season is going to be very affordable. No surprise that Marathe and the crew pushed to front load the deal. 

So it's sounding like the 800/k roster bonus is not per game...but 50k/game for 800k. The way Schefty phrased that was confusing. So that would put the first year cap hit at 37M, leaving us with about 72 million in space (assuming most conservative cap estimate of 174). Could be as much as 76 million remaining if it's 178. 

Archived