49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

Just now, rudyZ said:

The key to that is simply planning ahead. I'm sure all the moves we'll make in free agency will take into account our future extensions to core guys like Buckner, etc. So many teams are forced to cut good players in order to re-sign their better players. If we can manage that ahead of time, be ahead of the curve, then great! If ever there was one year for us to sign a big time QB (hopefully) to a big time contract, it was this year. So thanks, Bill Belichik!

Exactly. The perfect situation is getting a guy on a rookie deal, but knowing you have a stud and very little committed cap is basically the next best thing. The other thing that makes me excited going forward is this team clearly values certain positions over others and we're still going to learn more about how they value players. In short, it 's not just having a plan, but having a defined methodology and value for acquiring talent at each position. Example; the SAM and 1 tech will likely never command huge investments either in cap or draft capital. 

Teams can devise and stick to a plan, but the plan has to be based on a clear, fundamentally sound principles in the first place.  If someone says "My team philosophy: build the trenches, have big strong athletes on each side of the line with a great run game and a QB who can at leastmanage the game" most people, including GM's and Scouts, would probably think that's a good and fine strategy. But when you have someone like Baalke making the plan, who starts that process then can't find the proper coach, can't decide what kind of trench players he likes, and has no idea what positions he wants to invest in (if at all), then all that planning he did, which given his reported work ethic (not joking) he probably did a ton of, means nothing. The guy even said in his last press conference "Yeah, I guess I should have valued QB more".  That's something I don't ever see this team doing.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Small thing, but thank goodness Joe Fann gave him some good advice on not saying "San Fran". Jimmy's been saying that a few times since he got here, and it made me cringe every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yVJ-3C1sY

Very small thing. Is there a city in the US that (something that starts with B) and moans more than San Francisco about how it's called? You guys are a little ridiculous about that. Every time I read the twitter comments regarding that, I think "Just be grateful Jimmy likes you at all, fools!"

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Very small thing. Is there a city in the US that (something that starts with B) and moans more than San Francisco about how it's called? You guys are a little ridiculous about that. Every time I read the twitter comments regarding that, I think "Just be grateful Jimmy likes you at all, fools!"

I don't know, I haven't been to every city. Personally, I don't like when people call me a nickname. Why can't you just call me my name?

Jimmy can keep saying it if he wants to, he just clearly sounds out of place when he says it.

By the way, have you lived in San Francisco? I mean you've been there at least, right?

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Yes. This is not a good roster. Everyone likes to bring up the games we barely lost, but then again, we barely won the games against Chicago, Tennessee and the Rams played their back ups. It evened out some. 

Some, but those close games are still with a lousy roster led by a quarterback whose first start came with 32 days in the system. I was with you before this season - I thought 4 wins would be the max, and after all the close losses, I thought we might get to two before Garoppolo. But before Garoppolo, I also thought either Hoyer or Beathard could lead the team to 6-7 wins in 2018 with the extra year in the offense + an expectation of an improved roster in 2018, and with Cousins, the team might have been a 9-7 type team. I really think 10-11 wins is what we'll see this year with an entire offseason for Jimmy to get further immersed in the offense, an expected extra offensive weapon or two, and a hopefully improved offensive line. Add in at least a better cornerback situation, and I don't see why this team would not improve. We may have only squeaked past games against the Titans and the Rams may have played their backups, but we still excelled against an excellent Jaguars team and in the end - wins are wins. With a last place schedule, there's nothing to me that says we won't finish with a winning record, even with how little depth there is. There are a lot of good pieces and room for more this offseason. 

21 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't know, I haven't been to every city. Personally, I don't like when people call me a nickname. Why can't you just call me my name?

Jimmy can keep saying it if he wants to, he just clearly sounds out of place when he says it.

By the way, have you lived in San Francisco? I mean you've been there at least, right?

Nope. But I don't need to go there to have an opinion on the matter. It's silly. I don't think a city's nickname, wanted or not, reflects on the quality of the city or of its inhabitants. I'd be pissed off if it was directly offensive. Like, I don't openly called the city of Livorno "La Dumpina Italiana", because I thought it looked like a dump when I went there. I figure people who are from there would accuse me of every hateful crime they can think of. It does have a nice historic center. But calling San Francisco "San Fran" is not an insult. It's just an abbreviation. Is it ironic that san franciscans have such a short fuse for abbreviating their city name? Four syllables is too much in today's world! Now stop being silly and come visit in Québec City and we'll have canadian beers and poutine! :P

29 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

If you've been to every city, you'll know there are cities that adore their nicknames. Philly comes to mind immediately. I know of nobody who would take all that extra time to say the three extra syllables. Heck, in this state we refer to it solely by its initials. 

But @rudyZ, if you want a city that gets more offended, visit my own of Lancaster, PA. There is no way you'll pronounce it correctly, and you'll be demonized for doing so incorrectly.

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

If you've been to every city, you'll know there are cities that adore their nicknames. Philly comes to mind immediately. I know of nobody who would take all that extra time to say the three extra syllables. Heck, in this state we refer to it solely by its initials. 

But @rudyZ, if you want a city that gets more offended, visit my own of Lancaster, PA. There is no way you'll pronounce it correctly, and you'll be demonized for doing so incorrectly.

What, Lanncassuh? Sure I know how to pronounce it!

54 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Nope. But I don't need to go there to have an opinion on the matter. It's silly. I don't think a city's nickname, wanted or not, reflects on the quality of the city or of its inhabitants. I'd be pissed off if it was directly offensive. Like, I don't openly called the city of Livorno "La Dumpina Italiana", because I thought it looked like a dump when I went there. I figure people who are from there would accuse me of every hateful crime they can think of. It does have a nice historic center. But calling San Francisco "San Fran" is not an insult. It's just an abbreviation. Is it ironic that san franciscans have such a short fuse for abbreviating their city name? Four syllables is too much in today's world! Now stop being silly and come visit in Québec City and we'll have canadian beers and poutine! :P

Oh so you haven't been there. Okay. You can still have your opinion of course. You should realize though that every town or city has it's own culture quirks that you may not understand or agree with. Still, if you aren't from the location, or never even been there you should at least keep in mind some foreign custom that may seem strange or trivial to you, may be meaningful to the people of a specific place. Jimmy seems to realize this, so that's great.

People in the bay area don't say San Fran. Just like people from California don't say Cali. Or people from LA don't say Los Angeles. You can say whatever you want I guess if you're living among the community, you're just putting a label in yourself as an outsider if you consistently use certain terms.

Read a nice article putting this contract into perspective. Instead of comparing it to other "great" QBs he compared it to Alex's recent deal.  His was 94 four for years, or 23.5 per year with 71 guaranteed.  Given his age, how he's performed givne the few number of starts he's had and his upside, isn't Jimmy easily worth 4 million more per year, especially with about the same amount guaranteed?

By the way he described Alex as a good QB whose only flaw was failing to be "transcendent". When  talking about Jimmy he said time will tell, but he does have the upside to become "transcendent"/

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh so you haven't been there. Okay. You can still have your opinion of course. You should realize though that every town or city has it's own culture quirks that you may not understand or agree with. Still, if you aren't from the location, or never even been there you should at least keep in mind some foreign custom that may seem strange or trivial to you, may be meaningful to the people of a specific place. Jimmy seems to realize this, so that's great.

People in the bay area don't say San Fran. Just like people from California don't say Cali. Or people from LA don't say Los Angeles. You can say whatever you want I guess if you're living among the community, you're just putting a label in yourself as an outsider if you consistently use certain terms.

I'm was born in the bay area and I always founds this stupid. Why does it matter if someone wants to shorten it. San Fran rolls off the tongue a lot better than San Fransico. It's been ingrained into me not to say San Fran but now since I live in Maryland everyone thinks I'm talking about the Chesapeake Bay when I say I'm from the Bay. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I know people from California who calls it Cali. I'm sure there are people in San Francisco who call it San Fran. To me, not accepting people who call certain places a certain way, as if preserving some kind of purity of identity, is definitely silly. The question is: do you know what they're referring to? If yes, then leave it be. If someone says Cali, I automatically think California, not Calliope, not Calico. When I hear San Fran, I think San Francisco, not San Frank Paul Santangelo (big fan of FP). But if someone was to call it "The City", for sure I'd never possibly even consider San Francisco to be the city in question. Words are meant to communicate information, not to comfort certain cliques of people in their sense of identity. My whole point is that it's just silly. If you want to point it out, tongue-in-cheek, then fine, but it's still silly. Personally, if I was a lifetime resident of San Francisco, born and raised, I would go to the game with a sign that says "YOU can call it whatever you want, Jimmy. Others, watch out!" It's silly. So just have fun with it.

33 minutes ago, Geek said:

I'm was born in the bay area and I always founds this stupid. Why does it matter if someone wants to shorten it. San Fran rolls off the tongue a lot better than San Fransico. It's been ingrained into me not to say San Fran but now since I live in Maryland everyone thinks I'm talking about the Chesapeake Bay when I say I'm from the Bay. 

I lived in Philadelphia, everyone I know calls it Philly. I spent a lot of time in Cincinnati, a lot of people I know call it Cincy (and some call it the Nati lol). I live in Las Vegas. Everyone I know just calls it Vegas 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I know people from California who calls it Cali. I'm sure there are people in San Francisco who call it San Fran. To me, not accepting people who call certain places a certain way, as if preserving some kind of purity of identity, is definitely silly. The question is: do you know what they're referring to? If yes, then leave it be. If someone says Cali, I automatically think California, not Calliope, not Calico. When I hear San Fran, I think San Francisco, not San Frank Paul Santangelo (big fan of FP). But if someone was to call it "The City", for sure I'd never possibly even consider San Francisco to be the city in question. Words are meant to communicate information, not to comfort certain cliques of people in their sense of identity. My whole point is that it's just silly. If you want to point it out, tongue-in-cheek, then fine, but it's still silly. Personally, if I was a lifetime resident of San Francisco, born and raised, I would go to the game with a sign that says "YOU can call it whatever you want, Jimmy. Others, watch out!" It's silly. So just have fun with it.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the majority of people. You'll still be accepted if you don't abide by local customs. It's not that serious. It's just a nice courtesy when you're in someone else's neck of the woods. If you are actually residing in the bay folks usually know what you mean if you say "the city" or "the town". Obviously it's not going to mean much if you're outside the area.

I guess it depends on your thinking. I study a couple of different languages. Chinese for instance, is a very tonal language. Now you can neglect the variances in tone to a degree, and still communicate. However you'd just come off as strange. Same with Japanese. They don't use a lot of pronouns in that language. You can use pronouns when talking, but it's not appreciated in a lot of contexts. Kind of like the difference in learning about a language using just a texbook in comparison to actually talking to people who are native speakers of the language. None of this is required to communicate your point from A to B, but when considering the recipient, certain aspects of speaking are appreciated more than others. If someone is trying to help correct you on a local way of how things are done, I don't see why as an outsider you'd just decide to squat on that. 

You can believe it's silly if you want. That's fine. Personally if someone corrects me about how to refer to a certain area when I'm in that area, I'll follow suit instead of just be like "oh well I don't give a **** about local customs and ways of thinking". Nice to know that Jimmy is happy to oblige. 

Archived