49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

Something that stuck out to me in the recent presser is how Shanahan said that now Jimmy will have a full offseason to learn the offense. So he can essentially start from the beginning on page 1 and get that foundation. Instead of turning to page 50, and asked to do something without knowing why he's necessarily doing it. 

Reminded me of the difference in using a phrase book to survive a short stint in a foreign country, and then actually having the opportunity to learn the language, and it's nuances from the start. 

The long-term deal is as much as sending a message as much as it is getting a good deal when compared to franchising, then extending next year. It's more then looking at the cap management in a vacuum. There's a reason most players don't like the 1 yr franchise tag, other than not being able to test the FA market. It's saying "we think you're good, but can't trust you quite yet for a long-term commitment" Signing JG long-term trickles down. It makes it more attractive for potential FAs. 

I get that there's a precedent for the contract given, for such a small sample size, but to me it's a much smaller precedent than what JG did in that time. I still think he has his weaknesses, but KS is too smart of a coach to where he'll highlight JG's strengths. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

As long as we're HERE, I'll take it! This board has seen some miserable Junes lately.

June is NBA Finals month. But after the finals? It's brutal until training camp. Sure it gets better for the mini camp or OTAs, but if the board is busy, it's usually due to someone getting arrested or suspended. So in that sense, hopefully it is quiet in June and up until training camp lol. 

Just now, rudyZ said:

Not true. Nobody discussed my arrest last june. I was a little offended, to be honest.

Well, I blame both Matts and Schefter for not reporting it. How else are we supposed to know???? Trust me, the board would have had the most traffic in years if we knew about this arrest. 

What did you get arrested for?? 

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, I blame both Matts and Schefter for not reporting it. How else are we supposed to know???? Trust me, the board would have had the most traffic in years if we knew about this arrest. 

YES, MUST DISCLOSE !!!! 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I jaywalked, then didn't apologize to the Mountie who intercepted me politely. It was a headline here in Canadia.

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

June is NBA Finals month. But after the finals? It's brutal until training camp. Sure it gets better for the mini camp or OTAs, but if the board is busy, it's usually due to someone getting arrested or suspended. So in that sense, hopefully it is quiet in June and up until training camp lol. 

Damn, I may have jinxed it with this post lol. Except it didn't take until June for someone to get arrested.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, PapaShogun said:

Good. I'm glad this didn't continue to drag out. I have to say, because of things that have happened in recent years where the team just seemed cursed (retiring players, players getting in trouble, extension talks breaking down) there was a part of me that was just waiting for the roof to cave in. Now, Jimmy just has to prove he was worth every penny, which I think he will do. Shanahan and Jimmy could be the next coach/quarterback combo that will be talked about for a long time. Exciting times ahead.

Also, it's nice to know that I won't have to read or hear anymore scenarios from scribes and prognosticators regarding Jimmy holding the team hostage because he wants to go to the highest bidder in free agency, especially in light of Washington replacing Cousins with Alex Smith. 

Said this a few days ago. At least it wasn't Jimmy G. We were overdue for an off-season fudge up. It had already been a month.

9 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Said this a few days ago. At least it wasn't Jimmy G. We were overdue for an off-season fudge up. It had already been a month.

Can always count on good ol' Reuben. I'm just waiting for Kilgore to get drunk again and get another fine for walking drunk instead of getting in his car and killing someone. Repeat offender, maybe we'll replace him at Center at last!

• 3 months later...

Rather than start a new thread or topic, I thought I would just put this in here....

Just thinking about the whole Jimmy Garoppolo situation: When I heard we traded for him, I was actually disappointed. Why? Because I was bent on getting Kirk Cousins. I mean REALLY fixated. :$ Then, when Jimmy started and won...again and again and...(you get the idea) I was getting bummed that we were losing out on draft position. And that we lost that 2nd round pick--I love 2nd round picks! After about the 3rd game, I think I finally came around to appreciating what we may have had delivered to us in Jimmy. What he accomplished in so little time is absolutely incredible. Unbelievable. And many other modifiers you can think of... One month of prep time before he started. Unreal. 

Now, after seeing what Kirk Cousins actually got...O.o. So glad we did not do that. Not a fan of completely guaranteed contracts. Bad precedent. Also, not sure Cousins has ever been as impressive as Jimmy...bias? Probably.

So, now I am very guilty of being extremely enamored with our current QB: Jimmy G. In fact, he is probably my favorite QB we have had since Steve. Yes, I am a bit over the top already. :$ But I am so okay with that. B|

Archived