49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

The last time a veteran QB on a similar deal (relative to market) hoisted the Lombardi trophy was pre-9/11. 

Joe Flacco won the superbowl on a rookie contract. Russel Wilson won on a rookie contract so don't exclude those oh and Brady and Ben of course.

Just now, OleXmad said:

Joe Flacco won the superbowl on a rookie contract. Russel Wilson won on a rookie contract so don't exclude those oh and Brady and Ben of course.

Which is why I said "veteran". You have to either hit on a draft pick and hope he develops fast enough that you can keep an elite roster around him before you have to pay him big money, or pay big money for the QB and then try to build a championship roster around him.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:43 PM, 49erurtaza said:

RIP the Packers after Rodgers extension. NFL has a problem here.

Rodgers is going to be getting 35 mil a year at this rate.

Garrapollo was a FA to be.  Packers have Rodgers signed for the next two years for 42 million.  Even with a 27 franchise tag in 2020 and 20% increase in 2021, that is 4 years for about 100 million of control.  Rodgers may get some crazy numbers for the 2022/2023 years if he agrees to anything that long, but that would all be spread out then over the next 6 years.  But highly doubtful he gets anywhere near $30 million average over the next 6 years. 

28 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Garrapollo was a FA to be.  Packers have Rodgers signed for the next two years for 42 million.  Even with a 27 franchise tag in 2020 and 20% increase in 2021, that is 4 years for about 100 million of control.  Rodgers may get some crazy numbers for the 2022/2023 years if he agrees to anything that long, but that would all be spread out then over the next 6 years.  But highly doubtful he gets anywhere near $30 million average over the next 6 years. 

I think he'll get it on the average, just not long term. Once he becomes a FA he'll be what, 36? I wouldn't be surprised if he's still playing at a high level if they just give him something like 3/90 just to avoid the tag hassle. By that point, a tag on a quarterback is likely to be 25-27, with a second year at between 30 - 32. 

**edit**

sorry, I meant 30/year average. I don't thikn that he hits 35...not enough time for it to inflate that much in my opinion. But 30 is realistic. 

There has been a lot of talk they want to do a contract this offseason.  If they do it this offseason, just no way he pushed $30 million average over the length of the contract when he signs.  No reason for the Packers to do so, having him for the next 4 years at a reasonable price.  Sure if Rodgers waits, minimum 3 years, 2 contract and 1 franchise tag, he could surely push $35 million a year (which is likely more than a 2nd franchise tag).  

Only 42 million for the next 2 years, but also shouldn't be forgotten he did get $38 million in 2013 and is why his money is 'low' now. 

1 hour ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Only 42 million for the next 2 years, but also shouldn't be forgotten he did get $38 million in 2013 and is why his money is 'low' now.

That $38M in 2013 was his cash earnings, $33M in signing bonus and $4.5 in base salary.  his 2013 cap hit was $11.6M.  

Archived