49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Correct, but if you hit big on a rookie you have a great head start on the cap for 4-5 years 

For sure. I think that is always the preference, but you'll take a franchise quarterback any way you can get one. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Rodgers is going to be getting 35 mil a year at this rate.

My idea was to offer him the first fully guaranteed NFL contract at 100/4. Sacrifice a bit of yearly value to break the record for most guaranteed money as well as to go into the history books as the first NFL player to ever get a fully guaranteed deal. Now that Jimmy G is at almost 28 and Cousins figures to get 30, I'm not sure that'd be close to enough.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

My idea was to offer him the first fully guaranteed NFL contract at 100/4. Sacrifice a bit of yearly value to break the record for most guaranteed money as well as to go into the history books as the first NFL player to ever get a fully guaranteed deal. Now that Jimmy G is at almost 28 and Cousins figures to get 30, I'm not sure that'd be close to enough.

Oh god your team going to create a bargaining structure for QBs to get fully guaranteed contracts.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

RIP the Packers after Rodgers extension. NFL has a problem here.

Not at all. Rodgers AAV is 22 million. He signed  at a time when the salary cap was 123 million. While his cap hit could vary, the aav hit would be what, almost 18 percent? Jimmy's AAV is 27.5 at a time when the cap is expected to be about 174m,  that's about 15.8% of the cap? Rodgers last contract was actually more detrimental than this one. This contract really doesn't change anything in the way that quarterbacks have always been paid. 

**This is, of course, based on the premise that the salary cap continues to rise, which we all know it won't, but have no idea when it will plateau or decrease. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Oh god your team going to create a bargaining structure for QBs to get fully guaranteed contracts.

With how much guaranteed $$$ Stafford and Alex Smith got, Rodgers is in line for 95-100+ in guaranteed anyway. Might as well try to save on AAV and just break the "fully guaranteed" barrio and hope you can save on a per year basis.

Archived