What Do YOU Want to do at QB?

Nick

What Do YOU Want to do at QB?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What Do YOU Want to do at QB?

• Sign Tier 1 FA QB: Kirk Cousins (~27-30 mil per year)
    • Sign a Tier 2 FA QB: Case Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, Other (~8-18 mil per year)
    • Move up into the top 5 (Select Rosen, Darnold or maybe Mayfield)
    • Stay put at 21/22 and draft a QB there (Rudolph, Allen or Jackson)
    • Take BPA at 21/22 and draft QB in round 2 or beyond
    • Stick with Tyrod Taylor for another year
    • Other (explain below)

On 2/15/2018 at 3:50 AM, BigBillsFan13 said:

I have to disagree. That statement implies that Mayfield loves the game more than, say, Peyton Manning. Yes, Mayfield had to earn his spot and work harder for it than Manziel did, but that alone doesn't mean he loves the game more. In this instance, I would agree that Mayfield probably does have more love for the game than Manziel, but it's not because of their paths to collegiate stardom. And it certainly doesn't mean he's more mature than Manziel, which he's shown on more than 1 occasion. 

Look, I'm not debating Mayfield's talent, I'm saying (and have always said) that he's immature, and I don't think he's ready to lead an NFL team. 

I'd like to chime in here. I believe the comment was made more  as a measuring stick that a guy who worked as hard as Mayfield did to get their is more likely to appreciate what he has accomplished and keep pushing forward. People who are given everything tend to not appreciate things as it almost becomes expected that everything will work out for them. That's how I looked at it at least.

On 16/02/2018 at 7:39 AM, Maxmw22 said:

Anyone think McCaron is a fit? I just ask because he was just awarded free agency. I am thinking he gets a Mike Glennon deal from someone, 3 years / $45 mil.

I think he makes a lot of sense as a veteran, I don't think he will get Glennon money unless Cleveland go silly. I think he will get 10 / 12 million a year

5 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

And learn to throw within the ball within 10 yards of his receivers

Not guaranteed, but should be fixable. Watch the videos here and notice his footwork, especially the left foot. He regularly doesn't set up properly. Yes, there will be times when he will be required to throw when he is improvising/on the move and can't properly set his feet, but many of his poor throws can be attributed to that left foot not pointing to his target.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

Having said that, again, this is not always the case. Look at this next video. First we see Mayfield with textbook footwork connecting on a drill, followed by Allen (who admittedly looks slow to react) use what appears to be a proper setup, but still missing the target by a great deal.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/josh-allen-wyoming-senior-bowl-throw-video-miss-workout-accuracy-browns-nfl-draft

17 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Not guaranteed, but should be fixable. Watch the videos here and notice his footwork, especially the left foot. He regularly doesn't set up properly. Yes, there will be times when he will be required to throw when he is improvising/on the move and can't properly set his feet, but many of his poor throws can be attributed to that left foot not pointing to his target.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

Having said that, again, this is not always the case. Look at this next video. First we see Mayfield with textbook footwork connecting on a drill, followed by Allen (who admittedly looks slow to react) use what appears to be a proper setup, but still missing the target by a great deal.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/josh-allen-wyoming-senior-bowl-throw-video-miss-workout-accuracy-browns-nfl-draft

This is one reason why I do not want the bills to go qb in the draft especially trading up. Everyone is basing him off of potential but not signs of immediate impact. If the bills are looking to give the farm to move up they sure as heck better come away with a guy who can start week 1 cause the bills will be at full rebuild mode if he doesnt and losing all those picks hoping he catches on early will hurt them just look at how the sammy watkins trade impacted them and that was only a fraction of what the bills will have to give up to get one of these 4 top qbs.

Media fixates on these QB prospects and hypes them up but in the long run hurting their careers  because the team that drafts these guys high are pressured to start them as soon as possible and majority cant come in playing like Andrew Luck did as they need time to learn at the pro level and correct their weaknesses like footwork which takes time. I remember the year when the bills drafted Ej Manuel, everyone (media) had Geno Smith, Ej Manuel, Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib hyped up as possibly all going top 10 and that panned out horribly. Not comparing this years prospects to them just stating that everyone (media) gets the fans all drooling over these guys and they aren't who we all want them to be. I rather bring in a sure fire qb like Cousins who has proven he can produce at the top level and then build around him through the draft. Everyone says that it will cost a fortune but having a qb who ends up being a franchise qb will want double that in 4 years so no matter what in the long term some qb will be getting paid if the bills are correct with this offseason. So why not be a contender now by paying Cousins, build up the team and when those draft picks are due for an extension the bills will have the space to do it as cousins massive contract, majority of it will be paid off by the end of year 3 of his 5 year deal. To me it is all relative whether you pay a qb now or later but I prefer now as I want to see the bills be a contender in 2018.

Dream Scenario sign a bridge QB like AJ or Bradford. 2 years 24 million somewhere around there.

Trade into the top 5 for either Rosen or Darnold. 

I feel both guys will need to be coached and are not ready day 1 but with AJ he can sit in the backup role for a year (something he's used to) before hitting Free Agency again. 

On 2/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, BigMountainGoat said:

I think he makes a lot of sense as a veteran, I don't think he will get Glennon money unless Cleveland go silly. I think he will get 10 / 12 million a year

I think it is worth the chance and that is about what he will cost. My only problem with him, is his arm strength, in Buffalo weather, you need a strong armed QB, especially late in the season. It makes Allen and Jackson far more likely targets IMO!

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I think it is worth the chance and that is about what he will cost. My only problem with him, is his arm strength, in Buffalo weather, you need a strong armed QB, especially late in the season. It makes Allen and Jackson far more likely targets IMO!

You mention a 6% success rate in 2nd round but the success rate in the 1st round isnt that much higher, its between 10-20% and thats being generous. With that said both Lamar and Allen are extremely raw and will likely need time and may not develop to what people expect. 

On 20/02/2018 at 7:18 AM, Iamcanadian said:

You realize that round 2 QB's have about a 6% chance of succeeding???

Past performance is no indication of future when the subjects are different. Mike White and Kyle Lauletta have not been in the draft before so how other QBs have performed is irrelevant. 

Correlation is not causation.

Archived