Who is the best prospect you've ever scouted?

AlNFL19

I would say these guys are the best pro prospects I have seen play in College Football.

Sean Taylor

Randy Moss

Peyton Manning

Larry Fitzgerald

Julius Peppers

Good to see Sean Taylor on so many lists, guy was arguably one of the most fun players to watch in college for sure, was all over the field and a very rare combo of ball skills and big time hitting ability back there, not to mention at that freak size and speed.  I got a Miami Hurricanes signed Mini helmet from that defense in 2001, and even way back then I was pissed Sean Taylor was not on the helmet along with the likes of Vince Wilfork and Ed Reed, apparently he was "gone" that day.  

12 hours ago, Jeezla said:

1 Larry Fitzgerald

2 Vernon Davis

3 Luke Kuechly

4 Sean Taylor

5 Adrian Peterson/Saquon Barkley/Patrick WIllis

Damn right, Fitzgerald was such a great prospect, totally dominating and had almost perfect technique for the position.  Saquon Barkley I love, was not in the correct offense for his skill set exactly but overall I would say he is right there for sure with Adrian Peterson if not a little better potentially.  Not to mention what he could have done with more carries and if he had better overall TE and a FB blocking.  Vernon Davis for sure, makes many "pass catching" TEs now a days look slow and not very athletic, guy was a freak show in college with blazing speed for his size.

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Good to see Sean Taylor on so many lists, guy was arguably one of the most fun players to watch in college for sure, was all over the field and a very rare combo of ball skills and big time hitting ability back there, not to mention at that freak size and speed.  I got a Miami Hurricanes signed Mini helmet from that defense in 2001, and even way back then I was pissed Sean Taylor was not on the helmet along with the likes of Vince Wilfork and Ed Reed, apparently he was "gone" that day. 

He was one heck of a high school running back as well... you saw it show up with his return skills.  Had it all.

What was your take on Reggie Bush coming out of USC?  I really thought he was the next Gale Sayers.

Best college player I ever saw was Herschel. But I was a kid then, so it's not like I was giving out grades or anything. My ratings take into account general positional importance(though not a specific team's positional needs), so most of top rated prospects have been quarterbacks, followed by pass rushers and left tackles. I'd have to dig through my old stuff to find my five highest-rated, but I'm quite sure the top three are Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, and Andrew Luck. Rodgers was near the top, too, which was not a universally held opinion at the time(as a Packer fan who never considered that we might be able to draft him, I was astonished at how many fans didn't like the pick!)

Some "busts" I had rated extremely highly were Robert Gallery, GHlenn Dorsey, Aaron Curry, Jake Locker, and Luke Joeckel.

21 hours ago, TheFinisher said:

That's tough, off the top of my head;

Julius Peppers
Sean Taylor
Reggie Bush
Calvin Johnson
Ndamukong Suh

Totally agree, Peppers was the man out there and his basketball skills were quite impressive as a legit DE.  Best DE prospect and was even ahead of Mario Williams I think and that is saying a lot, only guy close to him was Clowney a few years back in terms of being a super rare DE prospect.  I liked Bush, everyone liked him but when you look back he was totally benefiting from a ton of talent around him, just like Leinart was.  Heck you could say out of that entire offense most of those guys did not turn out to be great players in the NFL.  Bush in that Saints offense was great but he could not take a hit well and that was his biggest problem, got injured too much and was a little thin and light.  Looking back might have been better as a slot WR type more often so he would not take as many hits.  His quickness in the hole and big play ability was something special though, but the likes of Barkley has similar big play ability and can catch the ball, but he is what 35 pounds heavier and runs fast also and is way stronger.  

11 hours ago, mitch_connor said:

Best college player I ever saw was Herschel. But I was a kid then, so it's not like I was giving out grades or anything. My ratings take into account general positional importance(though not a specific team's positional needs), so most of top rated prospects have been quarterbacks, followed by pass rushers and left tackles. I'd have to dig through my old stuff to find my five highest-rated, but I'm quite sure the top three are Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, and Andrew Luck. Rodgers was near the top, too, which was not a universally held opinion at the time(as a Packer fan who never considered that we might be able to draft him, I was astonished at how many fans didn't like the pick!)

Some "busts" I had rated extremely highly were Robert Gallery, GHlenn Dorsey, Aaron Curry, Jake Locker, and Luke Joeckel.

True, if one went that far back guys like Herschel Walker would be crazy high but few saw him, I only went back to 1997 or so.  Robert Gallery how could one not like him, big nasty lineman.  Curious why he was not moved into guard, had a little too much lean forward and struggled in pass protection consistently, better as a run blocker obviously.  Aaron Curry was a shocker, he was ok in the NFL just not great, but in college was awesome all around for sure.  Mike Vick as a athlete, no one was better at QB, could argue Lamar Jackson rivals his athletic ability and arm strength however but will see how he does in the NFL.  Still Vick's 40 time was absolutely insane for a QB.

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

JJ Watt. Not only was him going outside of the top 10 disrespectful...it really bordered on racist. 

He was ever bit of a athletic freak as Mario Williams...only with insane production in college. 

Mario Williams is a little taller and heavier and had a faster 40 time and vertical.  Sure comparable the two of them, but Mario was more productive his last year in college getting to the QB for sure.  If Watt put up Mario's type of sack numbers sure he would have been top 10 or higher.  But Watt was a late bloomer and came on late to the process, great production yes was all over the field and very active but was not a very well known name before the end of his final year in college.  Mario was known for awhile at NC State as an elite talent, and had 25.5 sacks in his career, Watt had 11 and did not always play the position of course earlier at Central Michigan.  

Watt is a fine talent sure, but to call it racist he was drafted higher, yeah right.  Why was Chris Long the 2nd pick in the draft?  Because he got consistent sack numbers his final year in college not to mention who he dad is.  And Joey Bosa, 3rd overall pick, kid could get to the QB and was a very well known commodity since he was a freshman.  Watt falling was because at the time to some even his last year on Wisconsin was a little bit of a unknown guy and some were not sure how elite he would be at the next level.  Has obviously turned out in the end especially when healthy.

Highest Positional Grade Since 2006

QB Andrew Luck - 9.68

RB Adrian Peterson - 9.76

WR Calvin Johnson - 9.93

TE Vernon Davis - 9.49

OT Tyron Smith - 9.75

OG Zack Martin - 9.42

OC Nick Mangold - 9.63

DL Haloti Ngata - 9.72

RUSH Myles Garrett - 9.88

LB Myles Jack - 9.60

CB Patrick Peterson - 9.54

S Malik Hooker - 9.46

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Mario Williams is a little taller and heavier and had a faster 40 time and vertical.  Sure comparable the two of them, but Mario was more productive his last year in college getting to the QB for sure.  If Watt put up Mario's type of sack numbers sure he would have been top 10 or higher.  But Watt was a late bloomer and came on late to the process, great production yes was all over the field and very active but was not a very well known name before the end of his final year in college.  Mario was known for awhile at NC State as an elite talent, and had 25.5 sacks in his career, Watt had 11 and did not always play the position of course earlier at Central Michigan.  

Watt is a fine talent sure, but to call it racist he was drafted higher, yeah right.  Why was Chris Long the 2nd pick in the draft?  Because he got consistent sack numbers his final year in college not to mention who he dad is.  And Joey Bosa, 3rd overall pick, kid could get to the QB and was a very well known commodity since he was a freshman.  Watt falling was because at the time to some even his last year on Wisconsin was a little bit of a unknown guy and some were not sure how elite he would be at the next level.  Has obviously turned out in the end especially when healthy.

Chris Long was Howie’s son. Bosa also had NFL bloodlines. Doesn’t anyone really believe that McCaffrey would have been drafted in the top half of the first round if he didn’t have NFL bloodlines? 

Watt fell because of lazy and prejudice scouting. 

I'd use the term "scouted" lightly for myself, but since I've been paying attention to prospects since around 2011, I gotta go with Clowney. Freakish measurables, and he was just on another level in college, he would win his match up almost every time, and make it look easy too. Luck and Griffin would be the next 2, loved both of them.

I've only been rating prospects for the last 2 years so all my guys will be from the 2017 and 2018 drafts:

1. RB Saquon Barkley - NFL comp: Fred Taylor w/ better balance and a thicker base
  2. QB Joshua Dobbs - NFL comp: Randall Cunningham w/ elite intangibles
  3. WR Corey Davis  - NFL comp: Jerry Rice
  4. DE Myles Garrett - NFL comp: Bruce Smith
  5. RB Alvin Kamara - NFL comp: Marshall Faulk

NOTE:  I'm not here to argue or debate over my ratings.  This is simply my opinion.  We'll find out in a few years if it was a good call or not.

Archived