Who is the best prospect you've ever scouted?

AlNFL19

I've been dabbling in this longer than most people on the site. These are all the guys that I have graded as no hesitation, I would select with the 1st pick in the draft. I really only feel like I've missed on a handful of the 25, but I'm not sure if it is a coincidence that Couch, Carr, Brown all went to expansion teams:

OT Orlando Pace

QB Peyton Manning
CB Charles Woodson

CB Champ Bailey
RB Ricky Williams
QB Tim Couch

DE Courtney Brown
LB Lavar Arrington

DE Julius Peppers
QB David Carr

QB Philip Rivers
WR Larry Fitzgerald
SS Sean Taylor

WR Calvin Johnson
RB Adrian Peterson

DT Ndamukong Suh
FS Eric Berry

CB Patrick Peterson
WR A.J. Green
QB Cam Newton
LB Von Miller

QB Andrew Luck
QB Robert Griffin

DE Jadeveon Clowney

DE Myles Garrett

If you are forcing me to pick my top 5 from the group I would go with:

OT Orlando Pace

CB Champ Bailey

DT Ndamukong Suh

DE Julius Peppers

WR Calvin Johnson

QBs:

Manning

Luck

Carr

Rivers

Newton

In no particular order:

Calvin Johnson.  Quite simply the perfect prospect.  Had every tool in the tool box and was a dedicated worker to boot.  Played in a triple option offense and didnt care that he didnt get the ball most of the time.  Blocked his rear end off on every down and dominated when the ball came his way.

Larry Fitzgerald. What can I say about Fitz?  He was the most dominant college player I can ever recall and knew he would be a HOFer by the end of his career.  Only question he ever had was long speed and that didnt keep him from separating. 

Robert Griffin III.  Theres a lot of talk every year about world class athleticism, there have in fact been only a few legit olympic sprinters make it in the NFL.  RG3 was a dream.  Stronger arm than Luck, more accurate than Luck.  Much better athlete than Luck.  I still contend to this day that anyone who looks at it objectively and not just operating under the assumption that Luck was better, would come away from the process with RG3 #1.

Gerald Mccoy.  So close in grading between Suh and Mccoy.  I had Mccoy graded out higher bc of his length and athleticism, and his ability to get after the qb.

Last but not least, Adrian Clayborn.  Dont laugh, I see you laughing.  Look no doubt a lot of this was the Iowa homer in me, but man AC was every bit the destructive force in college his junior year that Suh was the year before.  Go watch the orange bowl from that year, that might be the most dominant college bowl game ive ever seen. And the whole year was like that.  I was convinced AC was going to be droy, an eventual dpoy, and HOFer.  Hes had a good long career, but its no where near what it looked like it was going to be.

Honorable Mention:

Michael Johnson.  Yes, i predicted MJ would break the rookie sack record.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:41 AM, mikee said:

I've been dabbling in this longer than most people on the site. These are all the guys that I have graded as no hesitation, I would select with the 1st pick in the draft. I really only feel like I've missed on a handful of the 25, but I'm not sure if it is a coincidence that Couch, Carr, Brown all went to expansion teams:

OT Orlando Pace

QB Peyton Manning
CB Charles Woodson

CB Champ Bailey
RB Ricky Williams
QB Tim Couch

DE Courtney Brown
LB Lavar Arrington

DE Julius Peppers
QB David Carr

QB Philip Rivers
WR Larry Fitzgerald
SS Sean Taylor

WR Calvin Johnson
RB Adrian Peterson

DT Ndamukong Suh
FS Eric Berry

CB Patrick Peterson
WR A.J. Green
QB Cam Newton
LB Von Miller

QB Andrew Luck
QB Robert Griffin

DE Jadeveon Clowney

DE Myles Garrett

If you are forcing me to pick my top 5 from the group I would go with:

OT Orlando Pace

CB Champ Bailey

DT Ndamukong Suh

DE Julius Peppers

WR Calvin Johnson

QBs:

Manning

Luck

Carr

Rivers

Newton

Champ Bailey was outstanding, so fun to watch, just a little behind Woodson in terms of his overall abilities but not by much.  Both are such rare talents are corner.

LaVar Arrington oddly enough I did not like in college at all.  I thought he had oddly skinny legs for a linebacker and made awesome plays like jumping over guys but overall was not that physically tough and was not great at getting off blocks.  Not very instinctive either and did get injured more than one would like and that continued in college.  Awesome big play linebacker but in college I thought he was quite overrated as a prospect in general.  

Orlando Pace was a little before my time following prospects but the tape I have seen he was such a great athlete for his size, obvious superstar tackle.  And Ricky Williams sure was fun to watch in college, got plenty of opportunities with more of an old school run game like that back in the day.  Very hard to bring down when he got rolling, was like a bowling ball out there at times with his thick legs and power he brought.  

Peyton Manning I agree, one thinks of a QB prospect you think Peyton Manning and compare him to that.  Best QB prospect since I have been watching, such a good frame, good mentality, good build, good character, good background, good arm, everything.  

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Champ Bailey was outstanding, so fun to watch, just a little behind Woodson in terms of his overall abilities but not by much.  Both are such rare talents are corner.

LaVar Arrington oddly enough I did not like in college at all.  I thought he had oddly skinny legs for a linebacker and made awesome plays like jumping over guys but overall was not that physically tough and was not great at getting off blocks.  Not very instinctive either and did get injured more than one would like and that continued in college.  Awesome big play linebacker but in college I thought he was quite overrated as a prospect in general.  

Orlando Pace was a little before my time following prospects but the tape I have seen he was such a great athlete for his size, obvious superstar tackle.  And Ricky Williams sure was fun to watch in college, got plenty of opportunities with more of an old school run game like that back in the day.  Very hard to bring down when he got rolling, was like a bowling ball out there at times with his thick legs and power he brought.  

Peyton Manning I agree, one thinks of a QB prospect you think Peyton Manning and compare him to that.  Best QB prospect since I have been watching, such a good frame, good mentality, good build, good character, good background, good arm, everything.  

Champ Bailey was my favorite CB prospect ever and my highest rated player in that draft. Woodson had slightly better instincts but I thought Bailey was the better athlete. Thought both would be HoFers though. Only other guy to come close since was Peterson, but his technique was sloppier and took more risks. Physically he stacked up though.

Pace was a monster with quick feet. He would flatten guys the way we see Quenton Nelson doing now but he could also mirror in pass pro. Perfect LT prospect with length, strength and balance.

Manning was so smart, you could see how he understood what it took to play QB and what to expect from his WRs. He wasn't perfect, obviously he wasn't particularly nimble, but he had Marino-like ability to manipulate the pocket and find room. My biggest concern was his passes were not a tight spiral and tended to wobble so I was a little worried about how he would play in poor weather conditions. The Ryan Leaf-Peyton Manning debate (just like the Bledsoe-Mirer debate a few years earlier) was a complete joke in my mind. Leaf was a good prospect (I obviously couldn't judge his character), but he lacked the same pocket awareness and had nowhere near the accuracy and ability to read coverages of Manning.

I got fooled a bit by Arrington. I thought he was explosive enough of an athlete to work around blocks and not necessarily have to take them on all the time, but his instincts were not refined enough to know when to use power and when to use speed.

Others that fooled me:

Tim Couch. It wasn't because of his college system though. I saw him reading the field and anticipating routes, but his athleticism was sub par and didn't possess the keen pocket awareness to make up for it nor the ability to throw from multiple platforms. his arm and accuracy were good with a clean pocket but not any other time.

Courtney Brown. I thought he was going to be just powerful enough and just quick enough to handle every situation but he ended up a bit of a tweener who was just not quite quick enough to rush with speed and not quite strong enough to rush with power, especially once the injuries began hampering him.

I still don't think I missed on David Carr. I still think he had everything you needed and had he gone to a different environment he would have excelled but that Houston expansion OL and lack of talent murdered him.

1 hour ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

All you really have to know about Orlando Pace was he finished 4th in the Heisman voting. Unbelievable

Yeah, I wasn't doing grades as such back then, but I certainly was in awe of him as a prospect. As can't-miss as a prospect can be, and at a position of great value, to boot.

4 hours ago, mikee said:

Champ Bailey was my favorite CB prospect ever and my highest rated player in that draft. Woodson had slightly better instincts but I thought Bailey was the better athlete. Thought both would be HoFers though. Only other guy to come close since was Peterson, but his technique was sloppier and took more risks. Physically he stacked up though.

Pace was a monster with quick feet. He would flatten guys the way we see Quenton Nelson doing now but he could also mirror in pass pro. Perfect LT prospect with length, strength and balance.

Manning was so smart, you could see how he understood what it took to play QB and what to expect from his WRs. He wasn't perfect, obviously he wasn't particularly nimble, but he had Marino-like ability to manipulate the pocket and find room. My biggest concern was his passes were not a tight spiral and tended to wobble so I was a little worried about how he would play in poor weather conditions. The Ryan Leaf-Peyton Manning debate (just like the Bledsoe-Mirer debate a few years earlier) was a complete joke in my mind. Leaf was a good prospect (I obviously couldn't judge his character), but he lacked the same pocket awareness and had nowhere near the accuracy and ability to read coverages of Manning.

I got fooled a bit by Arrington. I thought he was explosive enough of an athlete to work around blocks and not necessarily have to take them on all the time, but his instincts were not refined enough to know when to use power and when to use speed.

Others that fooled me:

Tim Couch. It wasn't because of his college system though. I saw him reading the field and anticipating routes, but his athleticism was sub par and didn't possess the keen pocket awareness to make up for it nor the ability to throw from multiple platforms. his arm and accuracy were good with a clean pocket but not any other time.

Courtney Brown. I thought he was going to be just powerful enough and just quick enough to handle every situation but he ended up a bit of a tweener who was just not quite quick enough to rush with speed and not quite strong enough to rush with power, especially once the injuries began hampering him.

I still don't think I missed on David Carr. I still think he had everything you needed and had he gone to a different environment he would have excelled but that Houston expansion OL and lack of talent murdered him.

Possibly David Carr was hurt more by what was around him.  However I was not a big fan of his in college, found it kind of ridiculous how impressed everyone was by his bench press, think he could bench like 400 pounds or something and it is like so what.  I thought he was pretty stiff and quite overrated, hated his throwing motion, but sure maybe being around better talent could have helped him, same with Tim Couch.  I did connect the failure of David to his brother Derek, who I was not a huge fan of in college either, has had a ok start to his career but will see what happens, is not the savior some made him out to be two years ago but will see.

Couch in college was very impressive but to not call him a system guy, I think he sure was.  Yeah now a day in the NFL he would do great potentially because it is much harder to play pass defense and players cannot hit like they did before, and you cannot even come close to touching a WR like they did back in the day.  Would have fit better to Couch's skill set a limited arm strength.  Put him back there with a bad O-Line a few targets to throw to, and have him make long throws down field, not going to succeed doing that.

Bailey sure was fun to watch, especially in his transition from WR to corner.  Always like the corners with ball skills and return ability, they can be the special ones for sure and Woodson/Bailey were the best I have seen.  

Archived