If I were the GM...

kris_kapsner

The Browns have rolled the dice on rookie QB's so many times, only to not find "their guy".  If I were the GM I would do the following:

1)  Try to sign Kirk Cousins.

This is the #1 thing the Browns should do the moment FA opens up...though I'd love to see him with my Vikings as well.  He's going to become one of the highest paid players in the league but I think he's worth it.  This move will open up the draft for the Browns in SO many ways.  Imagine having Cousins and being able to draft Barkley and a defensive stud or OT to replace the hall of famer on his way out the door.

2)  If Cousins signs elsewhere, sign Sam Bradford or Case Keenum.  If they are both gone, then I'd offer the 2.1 draft pick for Nick Foles.

If this is the move, I'd still draft a QB at 1.1 or 1.4 and hopefully still draft Barkley.  Investing in the QB position is the most important thing the Browns can do.  Making the investment into the #1 pick includes putting a player in front of them to learn from and not be thrown to the wolves.  If everything works out in this situation, the Browns will have themselves an "Alex Smith" next off season and can trade him if they feel the rookie is ready to be the starter going into his second year.  Or, they keep him and groom the position for another year.  It wasn't a bad thing for Aaron Rodgers to sit for 2-3 years.  Being patient could pay off big time.

No set of facts on which I can see getting Kirk Cousins, which I think would set us back in two ways if we did: (1) Cap space, especially in light of the Jimmy G. contract; and (2) Not getting Darnold or stifling his development if we take him at No. 1.

Don't see enough value in drafting any non-QB at 1 or 4...it's just not a strong draft class.

Bridgewater is much too frail to be a bridge QB...MINN supposedly really likes him, anyways.

Zero chance at Foles, imho, and I hope unless Haley is as good as the Eagles in designing game plans within which he can win.

Archived