Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

Found this article from two years ago:

This season was DeFilippo’s first as an NFL coordinator, but Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has viewed him as head-coaching material for a long time. Before DeFilippo joined the Browns, his second tour as quarterbacks coach of the Oakland Raiders spanned 2012-14. Palmer played for him 2012 before the Raiders traded the veteran to the Cardinals.

“You knew it right away. You could see it right away. You could see a potential head coach,” Palmer said of DeFilippo during a conference call in October. “Just his whole philosophy and the way he saw the game, you could tell he is going to be a great coordinator. I have had a chance, just because we are playing against a bunch of AFC North teams, I have seen Cleveland on offense a number of times.

“He is doing a great job. He gets the ball out of the quarterback’s hand. He does lots of screens. They run the ball effectively. He takes his shots. Always been a big fan since we had the chance to work together, and I have enjoyed watching them play on offense because he is doing a great job.”

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/carson-palmer-views-browns-oc-john-defilippo-as-hc-material-49ers-giving-him-interview-for-job

You guys hired the best coach on the market. And I don't mean on the market now. I mean on the market all off-season. I'd have taken him over Matt LaFleur. Unfortunately for y'all, I think he'll be a HC somewhere after next year. But Zimmer is doing a really nice job of hiring talented offensive minds.

Another great read, this one more recent:

As challenges go that was nothing compared to the one he faced on Dec. 10. That’s the day the Eagles lost their potential MVP quarterback when Carson Wentz blew out the ACL in his right knee diving for a touchdown against the Los Angeles Rams. Because the score was negated by a holding call, Wentz stayed in four more plays, his final one a 2-yard touchdown pass to Alshon Jeffrey that helped produce a 43-35 win that clinched the NFC East title but seemed to end the Eagles season.

The next day DeFilippo’s dad called to see how he was doing. The response he got was what he would expect from a coach’s son turned coach.

“He said, ‘Dad, it’s next man up,’ ” his father recalled. “He said they weren’t feeling sorry for themselves. They had leaders. They were going to get Nick (Foles) ready to play. When I heard that I thought, ‘My son has arrived.’ I didn’t tell him this but I also thought it was a great attitude to have but you just lost a contender for MVP! It was the only attitude you can have as a coach but as a dad you worry.’’

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron_borges/2018/02/borges_eagles_assistant_john_defilippo_born_to_be_a_coach

Archived