Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

1 hour ago, since72 said:

Isn't it interesting that we don't have that problem with DC considering defense is the strength of the team?  I thought hiring (what's his name) for DC was not very smart, but there is method to the madness.  Now we need Zimmer to hire an OC that nobody wants as a HC.  Kind of like Norv???  Hmmm.....

The DC for MN will always be overlooked as long as Zimmer has as much control as he does. I don't think Edwards is that appealing of a hire but he will get his share of interviews, though that might be more influenced by the Rooney Rule than anything else.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The DC for MN will always be overlooked as long as Zimmer has as much control as he does. I don't think Edwards is that appealing of a hire but he will get his share of interviews, though that might be more influenced by the Rooney Rule than anything else.

Yup, think about it in the reverse. The Saints have had their same OC since 2009. Nobody's hiring him, because it's Payton's offense.

7 hours ago, Klomp said:

Yup, think about it in the reverse. The Saints have had their same OC since 2009. Nobody's hiring him, because it's Payton's offense.

Which is interesting. I could be wrong on this as I don't pay a ton of attention to Kansas City, but isn't thier offense generally considered Andy Reid's? And he has had a bunch of offensive guys hired as head coaches. I know he did let Nagy and Pederson call plays for some (all?) of the last year's they were with the team. So is the difference between Reid and Payton that Reid gives his guys an opportunity to call plays?

46 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Which is interesting. I could be wrong on this as I don't pay a ton of attention to Kansas City, but isn't thier offense generally considered Andy Reid's? And he has had a bunch of offensive guys hired as head coaches. I know he did let Nagy and Pederson call plays for some (all?) of the last year's they were with the team. So is the difference between Reid and Payton that Reid gives his guys an opportunity to call plays?

Yeah, it certainly is interesting. I'm guessing the playcalling is part of it.

Also a possibility could be the fact that his QB is Drew Brees. Some would question how good a coordinator really is if he has some of the best players. Look at the coordinators Aaron Rodgers has gone through....the one who actually got a head coaching job ended up being terrible as HC and now is back as GB OC again.

Then again, look at the Bill Walsh coaching tree, when he had one of the best QBs of all-time too.

11 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Reid did loosen the reins on Nagy and allowed him to mold the offense on his own quite a bit, which is different from how he's generally done things...even when he had Pederson.  Obviously, he's probably not going to do that with Bieniemy now, but the difference between Reid and Payton goes beyond just that...while it certainly is Payton's offense in New Orleans, it's also run by a HOF QB, so that's a knock against Carmichael.  Reid and his coordinators haven't really ever had a HOF QB (although certainly McNabb will get some consideration), so their OCs also get a little more credit than Carmichael ever would.  

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

Yeah, it certainly is interesting. I'm guessing the playcalling is part of it.

Also a possibility could be the fact that his QB is Drew Brees. Some would question how good a coordinator really is if he has some of the best players. Look at the coordinators Aaron Rodgers has gone through....the one who actually got a head coaching job ended up being terrible as HC and now is back as GB OC again.

Then again, look at the Bill Walsh coaching tree, when he had one of the best QBs of all-time too.

Bill Walsh may have had the best QBs, but he also delegated a lot to his assistants, which is why you saw many of his assistants become HCs...most notably Seifert, Holmgren and Denny (but also Jim Fassel and Sam Wyche) and they in turn, tended to delegate better as well to guys like Reid, Gruden, Mariucci, McCarthy, Fox, Shanahan, and Fisher.  Payton is a Parcells guy, and they notably have been a lot more controlling than other coaching staffs, so there was less delegation, thus harder for guys to get the experience to develop into head coaches, so a lot of them are more controlling as well in Payton, Coughlin, Zimmer, and Belichick...it should come as no wonder that their assistants are finding it more difficult to get HC jobs and have more success in doing so. 

I'd like to think Zimmer will end up having the most success in training other assistants, just because he seems to be a little bit better at delegating offensive duties, but still, his and their experiences suggest that it'll still be a tough road to hoe for any of his assistants, especially the defensive ones.  

I wouldn’t lump Belichick in with the other Parcell’s guys. His coordinators, on both sides of the ball, have often interviewed, and been hired, elsewhere. Mangini, Crennell, Patricia, Weis, McDaniels, O’Brien. That’s pretty extensive  

Their success levels, however....

15 hours ago, RpMc said:

I wouldn’t lump Belichick in with the other Parcell’s guys. His coordinators, on both sides of the ball, have often interviewed, and been hired, elsewhere. Mangini, Crennell, Patricia, Weis, McDaniels, O’Brien. That’s pretty extensive  

Their success levels, however....

That's where the difference lies.  They've not only had difficulty getting hired, they haven't had much success when doing so either.  I'd still lump Belichick in with other Parcells' guys, because of his controlling nature...and I think with how slowly his guys are now getting hired for head jobs, I think that's where the justification lies now.  Patricia was his DC for 6 years before finally getting hired as a HC...and outside of his taking and then reneging on the Colts job, McDaniels hasn't gotten much interest for a HC since he's been back in NE for the last 6 years.  

John DeFilippo pulled out a roster sheet and started drawing little X’s and O’s in the margins. His football brain kicked into top gear and there was terminology and schematic philosophy flying around everywhere. It was like being in one of those big boxes that shoots money up in the air and you get to keep whatever you can grab. Even listening back to the conversation at three-quarters speed, it’s hard to keep up.

“I was doing a study on something late last night that I’m not going to divulge,” DeFilippo said excitedly.

Wrap your mind around that. He’s installing an NFL offense for a team with a new quarterback and in his spare time he’s sitting in a dark lab with flashing computers all around him cooking up something the league isn’t ready for.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/09/move-rpos-vikings-getting-ready-different-schematic-trend/

It goes beyond DeFilippo, but this might be the future of his offense.  I remember all of the bunch formations that Gibbs ran out in the 80s.  I'd love to see them run a "bunch" of bunch formations with Thielen, Diggs, and Treadwell all on the same side.  

Zimmer said DeFilippo “will do a great job” with Cousins and the offense. He’s already done a good job helping Zimmer sort through the Eagles debacle and introduce versions of the run-pass option that worked so well for Philadelphia.

Zimmer:  “We spent a good deal of time together, and I had him come in a couple times and talk to the defensive coaches about what the Eagles saw, what, when and why they did things, the reads, what the quarterback saw. It was interesting to see who they were trying not to let affect the game. And how Flip said they didn’t think they could execute 10-play drives against our defense. So they had to take some shots with things like the flea-flicker.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-opens-up-about-health-retirement-eagles-tony-sparano-quarterbacks-and-what-keeps-him-going/492778961/

If we learned anything about new Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, it’s that he picked up where Pat Shurmur left off in his usage of tight end Kyle Rudolph. While he was only targeted twice (and possibly three times if there hadn’t been some confusion with Laquon Treadwell), Rudolph had a significant impact on the offense in the Vikings’ 24-16 win over the San Francisco 49ers.

He was used effectively in a number of different roles throughout the game and made a difference as a blocker, in play-action and as a weapon to give quarterback Kirk Cousins information about the 49ers’ defensive attack. Out of 60 total snaps, he took 35 in a traditional tight end position, 20 as a slot receiver and four as an outside receiver.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/09/week-1-kyle-rudolph-showed-hes-vikings-offensive-chess-piece/

for those of you who felt Flip's play calling was vanilla last week,i am confident the coaches really had their eyes on the Lambeau game coming up and didn't want to show their full hand.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived