Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

13 hours ago, Klomp said:

He's made to be a head coach.

Not yet.  I am thinking this last game shouldn't really count on his resume as he was going against a defense that he knows very well.

56 minutes ago, Bermuda Viking said:

I figured part of his deal signing with the Vikings was that he was next in line.  I'm not sure how much longer Zim wants to coach.  I think Zim wants a title and sayonara, and I think the plan is that that would be soon!

I can't see that happening anytime soon, unless it's for health reasons.  Sure, he likes his hunting, but he loves his football almost as much.  

6 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Not yet.  I am thinking this last game shouldn't really count on his resume as he was going against a defense that he knows very well.

I probably should've posted the locker room video instead of that one in order to make my point. Was talking more about him as a communicator. I believe very strongly that communication is a very important skill for a head coach, maybe even more important than playcalling. Some can get away without it, but I don't think most can. All coaches can get away with not being a playcaller if they hire the right assistants.

Unless the Vikings worked out some sort of arrangement with him, I can easily see him gone this offseason. Browns would be an obvious possibility, and this week I was actually picturing him in Dallas (which would suck).

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Dallas, Washington, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Denver are the teams I currently have on my “will need a new HC” list. 

DeFilippo would be a solid candidate for each of them. 

Tampa would actually be interesting with all of the offensive skill position talent there. They may present a good opportunity to find a new QB too, whereas Dallas presents the market but not necessarily the pieces in place. Cleveland has okay pieces too, but it's still Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Tampa would actually be interesting with all of the offensive skill position talent there. They may present a good opportunity to find a new QB too, whereas Dallas presents the market but not necessarily the pieces in place. Cleveland has okay pieces too, but it's still Cleveland.

Dallas may  present the opportunity for him to hand select his preferred quarterback from the draft. 

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Dallas may  present the opportunity for him to hand select his preferred quarterback from the draft. 

You mean the opportunity for Jerry Jones to hand select his preferred quarterback from the draft?

Would love to see DeFilippo set himself up for success and be patient in looking for a HC job. Seems like it’d be ideal to have him be our OC for a few more years while learning from Zim. Seems like a big leap to go from QBcoach to OC to HC in two years. Not saying he couldn’t do it, but what’s the rush if he can’t find a great situation? No one in their right mind should want to work for Jerry Jones or maybe even the Browns. Tampa on the other hand would be an interesting one. 

1 minute ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Would love to see DeFilippo set himself up for success and be patient in looking for a HC job. Seems like it’d be ideal to have him be our OC for a few more years while learning from Zim. Seems like a big leap to go from QBcoach to OC to HC in two years. Not saying he couldn’t do it, but what’s the rush if he can’t find a great situation? No one in their right mind should want to work for Jerry Jones or maybe even the Browns. Tampa on the other hand would be an interesting one. 

The Browns likely aren't going to hire a guy as a head coach that they let walk just 3-4 years previous.  If I were him, I'd always look at the ownership situation.  And most of the ones mentioned all have unstable ownership issues.  Dallas and Washington don't need to be explained.  Cleveland certainly doesn't need to be explained for different reasons.  Denver, while generally had strong ownership with Pat Bowlen, is now in turmoil with his failing health and none of his children having any interest in taking over.  And finally in Tampa, the Glazer family has mostly been a quiet ownership group, but seems to have had more interest in owning Man U than owning the Bucs once they got Raymond James Stadium.  DeFilippo would likely be best served to wait until the right opportunity came along rather than letting his ambition take over and jump at the first job offer. 

I'd maybe think Cincinnati would be a good opportunity for him (once Marvin does actually retire) considering it's close to home for him, and while not a great owner, Mike Brown does bring a lot of stability to the table.  If he got the Bengals job, he'd have it for awhile.      

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Dallas, Washington, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Denver are the teams I currently have on my “will need a new HC” list. 

DeFilippo would be a solid candidate for each of them. 

It will be interesting to see if Cleveland remains on the list as the season progresses!  I think they have a very nasty defense (Gregg Williams...as much as I disrespect him...has made them a tough, aggressive and disciplined bunch).  The offense, while not scoring a lot of points, is very entertaining to watch.  They have some good skill players, and I would put their offensive line several slots above the Vikings.

Archived