Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

One place that isn't being talked about yet, but could be a possibility for a guy like DeFilipo is Pittsburgh.  Big Ben isn't going to be around much longer, and they seem to be having some locker room issues with guys like Bell.  Could Mike Tomlin be reaching the end of his run?  Even in a place where owners are extremely loyal to their coaches, there comes a time where a new voice is needed.  I would have to think that Pittsburgh would be the best possible position for a young guy who is very highly regarded around the league.

32 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

One place that isn't being talked about yet, but could be a possibility for a guy like DeFilipo is Pittsburgh.  Big Ben isn't going to be around much longer, and they seem to be having some locker room issues with guys like Bell.  Could Mike Tomlin be reaching the end of his run?  Even in a place where owners are extremely loyal to their coaches, there comes a time where a new voice is needed.  I would have to think that Pittsburgh would be the best possible position for a young guy who is very highly regarded around the league.

I don't know how you'd fire a guy who has never had a season below .500 (and the 2nd highest winning percentage among all active coaches) and has 2 SB appearances with 1 title.  

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't know how you'd fire a guy who has never had a season below .500 (and the 2nd highest winning percentage among all active coaches) and has 2 SB appearances with 1 title.  

Good point.  I've just never been all that sold on Tomlin as a head coach.  He strikes me as a guy who has done well because he has been in a great situation.  You're probably right though.  His resume' does look pretty good.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Good point.  I've just never been all that sold on Tomlin as a head coach.  He strikes me as a guy who has done well because he has been in a great situation.  You're probably right though.  His resume' does look pretty good.

I agree with you...I'm not completely sold on him either, but it's hard to argue with the results.   It could just be that since we're so far away from the situation, it's hard to know really how good he is at it.  

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Regular season win percentages
Tomlin .655 (118-62-1)
Cowher .623 (149-90-1)
Noll .566 (193-148-1)

If Tomlin were churning out 9-7 and 8-8 years every year, I could see them needing a new voice. Not with as solid as he's been, especially considering the Steelers management. It's a good outside-the-box name, though.

16 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is it a foregone conclusion that stafinski gets a coordinator job after this year? I don't know how well known he is outside of Minnesota and New York but he could be the coach of 2 qbs with career years in a row if cousins keeps this up

I personally think it's a foregone conclusion.  Fans of other teams may not know who he is, but the organizations certainly do.  

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Although, I could see the Vikings giving Stefanski an upgraded title and a hefty raise to keep him around. 

There is always that possibility considering they don't have an assistant HC right now (like they did last season with Shurmur).  

17 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Zimmer blocked Stefanski from interviewing for the Giants OC position right? What's to say he won't block that again?

He was still under contract last offseason. He won't be next offseason, so the team can't block any interviews.

Archived