Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I just hope he sticks around for a few years. We've had too much turn-around at the spot the last 2 years.

That really doesn't bother me.

If he gets hired away, it's likely because he did something positive here with the offense. If that's the case, we probably had a damn good season!

Something I was just thinking about....

Minnesota offers DeFilippo a clearer path to a head coaching gig (in the respective franchises). Doug Pederson is 50. Mike Zimmer is 61. Which one do you think is more likely to retire first?

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

Something I was just thinking about....

Minnesota offers DeFilippo a clearer path to a head coaching gig (in the respective franchises). Doug Pederson is 50. Mike Zimmer is 61. Which one do you think is more likely to retire first?

i've been saying this for awhile, i don't see Zimmer as a long term guy necessarily.

how old was Parcells when he retired? that might be the benchmark.

Just dawned on me.....DeFilippo coached Sam Bradford in the 2016 offseason through training camp.

If he doesn't get any starting gigs (which is unlikely), would it really hurt to bring him back on a cheap backup deal?

DeFilippo became quarterbacks coach at Fordham in 2000 upon graduating from James Madison.[2] The following year, DeFilippo enrolled at the University of Notre Dame to be a graduate assistant for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. In the 2001 season, DeFilippo helped coach wide receivers and tight ends on Bob Davie's staff, then in 2002 worked with quarterbacks under Tyrone Willingham.

From 2003 to 2004, DeFilippo was again quarterbacks coach at a Division I-AA program in New York City, Columbia, under Bob Shoop. He then moved up to the NFL in 2005 as offensive quality control coach for the New York Giants under Tom Coughlin and held that position until 2006. In 2007, DeFilippo joined Lane Kiffin's staff on the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach and remained on staff in 2008 when Tom Cable replaced Kiffin during the season. DeFilippo became quarterbacks coach for the New York Jets under Rex Ryan in 2009.

DeFilippo returned to the college ranks in 2010 as quarterbacks coach at San Jose State under Mike MacIntyre. In 2011, DeFilippo also became offensive coordinator for San Jose State, in a season where San Jose State rose 32 places in national offensive rankings and improved to 5–7 from 1–12 the previous season. 

In 2012, DeFilippo returned to the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach, first under Dennis Allen, and then Tony Sparano. On January 21, 2015, DeFilippo was hired as the Cleveland Browns' new offensive coordinator. However, after only 1 season, DeFilippo was let go after head coach Mike Pettine was fired. He was then hired as the quarterbacks coach of the Philadelphia Eagles on January 21, 2016. Four days after winning Super Bowl LII, DeFilippo was hired as offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeFilippo

7 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Just dawned on me.....DeFilippo coached Sam Bradford in the 2016 offseason through training camp.

If he doesn't get any starting gigs (which is unlikely), would it really hurt to bring him back on a cheap backup deal?

I'd rather take Bradford back (cheap being under $8 million) than pay Keenum $20+ million.

of course if Bradford is brought back, the likelihood of needing to draft a QB goes up. DeFilippo may prefer to draft his guy anyway.

Archived