Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

Todd Downing, 37

Career history
As coach:

He was hired by the Raiders on January 22, 2015 after previously serving on the Bills staff for the 2014 season. He was fired when Jon Gruden became the head coach of Oakland after the 2017 season. He had also previously served as quarterbacks coach for the NFL's Detroit Lions, where he helped quarterback Matthew Stafford become the franchise's leading passer with 17,457 career passing yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Downing

On 10/02/2018 at 2:03 PM, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure how much say he’ll have in the  matter when it comes to the three currently on the roster, but if I had to guess, I think it would be Bridgewater. 

A few different reasons for that guess;

1.) DeFilippo’s comments regarding what he looks for in a QB. All 3 quarterbacks match his opinion on completion % and INT %, but his comments about a QB needing to be able to move and not be a “stick in the mud” pretty much rules out Bradford, leaving Bridgewater and Keenum. 

2.) You don’t make such an aggressive push for, and ultimately hire a coach, who’s got a reputation as a good developer for the QB position and not keep the QB who’s still developing. 

3.) If the team was planning on, or leaning towards, bringing Keenum back, you would think that they’d have simply promoted Stefanski, and keep the continuity. 

You make an aggressive push for defillipio because he was the best available. Easy argue to be made that Defillipio can further develop Case. 

Hiring defillipio was to attempt to bring in someone better then stefanski.

I wouldn't concluded that Teddy would be a more fair guess then Case right now.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

DeFilippo and Downing, two young coaches with recent success of developing young QBs? Sounds like we might be in the mix for drafting a QB early. 

Although, if you don’t expect DeFilippo to be around beyond this year, it doesn’t make much sense to draft a QB early. 

I'm not sure if that.

If we've reached a conclusion that Defillipio has a good eye for young QB talent & developing young QB... Even if you think he is only here for one season, I think it becomes a premium to let him have huge input into the QB to be drafted & let him develop him as much as possible before he goes.

Likely the chosen QB outlasts Defillipio

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't get all the talk about Zimmers replacement

with me mentioning, it's only due to his health. which might be perfectly fine too, i recognize.

that, and after coaching for 40 years and a Super Bowl win, he might have had enough. ya never know...

Archived