Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

On 2/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, SemperFeist said:

2019:

HC - John DeFilippo

OC - Kevin Stefanski

QBC - Todd Downing

That wouldn't happen in Minnesota, so I hope you're not suggesting that.  It just seems like some are already on the bandwagon of pushing Zimmer out before he gets "too old."  The man is 62, not 72 (which is near the age that Marv Levy was when he retired).  Since he got started as a HC so late, he's probably still got a good 5 years left in him (which is the same age that Pete Carroll turns this year).   

23 minutes ago, disaacs said:

That wouldn't happen in Minnesota, so I hope you're not suggesting that.  It just seems like some are already on the bandwagon of pushing Zimmer out before he gets "too old."  The man is 62, not 72 (which is near the age that Marv Levy was when he retired).  Since he got started as a HC so late, he's probably still got a good 5 years left in him (which is the same age that Pete Carroll turns this year).   

Yutes wanna push 'geezers' (e.g. 30 yo RB, 35 yo QB, 62 yo coach, ancient FF posters, etc.) out the door way too early. 

They over-estimate the value of yute, and are too yuteful to have learned/ appreciate the value of experience.

57 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If you think that the Vikings have a 10 year coach in Zimmer, I think you’re fooling yourself. 

Call me fooled, because I don't see any reason why not.  He has the eye issue, but that doesn't disqualify him from still performing his duties.   And outside of the farm in Kentucky, he doesn't have any pressing outside interests other than football, as his children are all grown.  

And BTW, your math is off.  He's only been coach for 4 years....+ 5 = 9 years. :D

47 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Call me fooled, because I don't see any reason why not.  He has the eye issue, but that doesn't disqualify him from still performing his duties.   And outside of the farm in Kentucky, he doesn't have any pressing outside interests other than football, as his children are all grown.  

And BTW, your math is off.  He's only been coach for 4 years....+ 5 = 9 years. :D

Maybe it’s not completely correct to say, but his wife has also passed. Something you may actually retire early for so you can spend more time together at an older age. 

Many times even in the normal world, those are the type that work far past the 65 age. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Maybe it’s not completely correct to say, but his wife has also passed. Something you may actually retire early for so you can spend more time together at an older age. 

Many times even in the normal world, those are the type that work far past the 65 age. 

I purposely left that out of the discussion, even though it was on my mind as writing it out, as it did seem kind of heartless to address that (especially in light that I attended a funeral 2 days ago...and also found out yesterday that I have another one to attend soon), but it is a reality.  He's basically indicated it as such before, football is his life, and I don't see any reason or need to suggest that he's going to move on from it any time soon, short of another health issue.  Hell, he's working with his son as it is, so he sees at least part of his family every single day.  I could see him moving on if he had significant outside interests like Bud did with his hunting and fishing, but Bud never seemed to love football as much as Zim does.  He certainly liked it a lot, enough to do it as a career, but it's not what defined him.  Zim is different.    

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

How many of those 9 are playoff teams? Saints, Rams, Falcons, and Jacksonville?

The nine teams are:

Atlanta
Dallas
Denver
Jacksonville
LA Chargers
New Orleans
San Francisco
Tampa Bay
Washington

Archived