Will Kirk get more money than Jimmy?

Vladimir L

Without question. At worst, as @drd23 said, he'll get a contract barely above just so they can call it the richest contract in NFL history. But he will absolutely get more. Jimmy G has greater upside, but that's more or less offset by the fact that Cousins has a longer resume (no matter how good Jimmy looked, short stints always concern people.) And beyond that, Kirk has more bidders. Jimmy negotiated with one team. Kirk will have a few to negotiate with. That alone will drive the price to that level.

12 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Jimmy got 5 yrs 137.5m

No chance Denver and the Jaguars can keep their defense together by signing Kirk.

Granted, JG looks like the real deal, but damn, very surprised he got that much.  Kirk will get 30+ per year... and now we're getting into outrageous territory with these contracts.

I still blame Mike Vick's contract for throwing the QB pay scale out of whack.... More recently, it was Flacco, Tyrod, and Kaepernick.  These are examples of teams giving top 10 money to quarterbacks who weren't even top 20 at their position. 

11 hours ago, Starless said:

Cool. So I suppose Blake Bortles deserves more money than whoever the #1 pick in the next draft will be because he's played more games9_9

You pay guys based on what you expect their future production will be, not what they've already done. 

Well, Mitch Trubisky was the first quarterback picked last year, and he makes a little less than $7 million per year, so to answer your question, yes, Bortles should be paid more than whatever the #1 pick in the draft will.  Bortles has proven to be a solid starting quarterback at the NFL level, and his numbers back that up.

why would you pay more to an unproven college kid who may or may not work out?  And even if the rookie does eventually prove capable, I'd be willing to bet Bortles will be a more productive player for at least a couple seasons...

I think the question is who can afford to pay him more? Cleveland and the Jets are the only teams who could give him that type of money and not forfeit re-signing their own guys like the Jags would. 

I think the Jets are the most likely landing spots with the Vikings as a dark horse. 

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Obviously.

Kirk will get $30+ million per yr, I have no doubt.

I still don't think he hits 30. I think he'll land at 28 / 28.5 just to be the highest paid ever, but I don't think he's going to be the guy that breaks the 30 threshold. The only team that I can really see doing that would be the Jets, given the oodles of cap space they have over the next 3 years. I think at a certain price, he's going to kill off potential suitors (like Denver). 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still don't think he hits 30. I think he'll land at 28 / 28.5 just to be the highest paid ever, but I don't think he's going to be the guy that breaks the 30 threshold. The only team that I can really see doing that would be the Jets, given the oodles of cap space they have over the next 3 years. I think at a certain price, he's going to kill off potential suitors (like Denver). 

I just think the leverage he will have as a top 15, healthy QB hitting FA is unprecedented.  His agent is a shrewd operator.  And Kirk has shown over and over again that he's not scared of taking risks to get what he wants.  I think he'll take the risk of scaring teams off with a high asking price, gambling that at least one team he wants to play for will bite.

1 hour ago, aussie_eagle said:

Ridiculous - I can't see him taking Denver, NYJ or Browns to the playoffs. He isn't that good.

You can't see Cousins taking Denver to the playoffs? Really? The Broncos still have an elite defense. They need someone who won't be a total black hole at QB and they can find their way to the playoffs in the AFC.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

You can't see Cousins taking Denver to the playoffs? Really? The Broncos still have an elite defense. They need someone who won't be a total black hole at QB and they can find their way to the playoffs in the AFC.

Do the Broncos realistically have the cap space to both sign Cousins and keep their defense together?

Only way I see Kirk not surpassing 30M+ is if the market dries up on him and he only has 2 suitors. 

Right now Washington could tie him up with a tag and hurt his negotiating power. 

Browns, Jets, Vikings, Broncos and Bills are probably the clear front runners in terms of need plus ability to pay him. 

Vikings could stick with Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford in some capacity

Browns could lock in on a rookie

Broncos could go after one of the Minnesota QBs or trade for Foles

Bills/Jets could do the same

this could hurt Kirk, so his goal should be to sign early and get his money while it’s out there.

18 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Nope I can't - I think Chargers are better and Raiders will bounce back next season. Rivers and Carr are both better than Cousins.

1 hour ago, aussie_eagle said:

Nope I can't - I think Chargers are better and Raiders will bounce back next season. Rivers and Carr are both better than Cousins.

No one should trust the Chargers and the Raiders have some glaring issues of their own.   

Even if you believe Rivers and Carr are better than Cousins, its not some huge gap.

Its not a guarantee that the Broncos would go to the playoffs with Cousins, but he gives them just as good of a chance of going as the Raiders and Chargers.

On 09/02/2018 at 4:38 PM, frenchie said:

I still blame Mike Vick's contract for throwing the QB pay scale out of whack.... More recently, it was Flacco, Tyrod, and Kaepernick.  These are examples of teams giving top 10 money to quarterbacks who weren't even top 20 at their position. 

I blame Mike Glennon. If a backup can get 15M/Y because there's no better option, starting QBs (even if they're only above average) are going to want a lot more.

49 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I blame Mike Glennon. If a backup can get 15M/Y because there's no better option, starting QBs (even if they're only above average) are going to want a lot more.

A Backup who had 1 good game to him name at that. Michael Vick was at least a 1 of a king generation talent in terms of athleticism and arm strength.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:04 PM, Vladimir L said:

Jimmy got 5 yrs 137.5m

No chance Denver and the Jaguars can keep their defense together by signing Kirk.

Jaguars can open up cap and broncos to . They would have to release some players but that's fine with them . The jags are stacked already on defense . I saw an article that potentially will give the Jaguars and broncos enough money .

redskins signed fat Albert before with like 2 mil space before . It's very possible . And if Vikings are indeed serious about Kirk I'm sure they can give him the contract to.

Archived