2018 Winter Olympics

roysmyboy31

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I know a lot of the elite US curlers and have seen a lot of curling, and I can confirm the women's matches are worth watching. That hip flexibility. 

Absolutely, I enjoy it anyway, but I especially enjoy watching the women do it.

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Nathan Chen: "hold my beer"

I feel bad for him.  He was unreal in the US Nationals just last month so I thought he'd be a surefire candidate for a medal.  We have to remember he's only 18 and this was his first Olympics. 

I'm impressed by the Tongan flag bearer guy. He had been skiing on snow for only 3 months, and didn't even finish last in his race.

14 hours ago, Pugger said:

I feel bad for him.  He was unreal in the US Nationals just last month so I thought he'd be a surefire candidate for a medal.  We have to remember he's only 18 and this was his first Olympics. 

It's amazing how good some of these younger Olympians are though.

58 minutes ago, Chinaski_86 said:

First Shiffrin and now Vonn. These last two days have been very disappointing...

Is Vonn not winning a medal in the Super-G actually surprising/disappointing though?  I can't find a pre-Olympics prediction that had her medalling in this event

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Is Vonn not winning a medal in the Super-G actually surprising/disappointing though?  I can't find a pre-Olympics prediction that had her medalling in this event

She was one of 4/5 medal favorites. Even though the downhill is her favorite event, she's still a former Super-G World Champion and won the Super-G World Cup several years ago. She won a Super-G race back in December. 

1 hour ago, Chinaski_86 said:

She was one of 4/5 medal favorites. Even though the downhill is her favorite event, she's still a former Super-G World Champion and won the Super-G World Cup several years ago. She won a Super-G race back in December. 

True but since coming back from the injury a few months ago she has been far better at the downhill. It was a possibility but don't think it is a shock. Though if it wasn't for that one huge mistake towards the bottom she probably gets gold.

Shiffrin's slalom was definitely a big upset though.

Ledecka apparently won using a pair of skis she borrowed from Mikaela Shiffrin O.o

As if winning an Olympic medal as a part timer who prefers a completely different discipline wasn't crazy enough, that just makes it ridiculous

Jessie Diggins has been so close to getting the first medal for US women in cross country. 3 5ths and 6th.  Maybe only 1 more realistic shot in the team free sprint, but that likely won't happen either.

Hopefully she has 1 more really strong olympics in her.

Archived