Alex Smith seems like a steal now with these new QB contracts

Vladimir L

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

And Robert Quinn, who’s a better pass rusher than Kerrigan. Having Kerrigan and Orakpo as book ends for a few years was great but Orakpo and Quinn together would have been sick!

Shanahan just didn’t know how to scout players except for Qbs, RBs and ZBS OL that and his rough/stubborn personality were his downfalls before Elway and after Elway in his coaching career. It wasn’t X & O’s, Shanahan knew that well but it was everything else he struggled with.

Kerrigan has 9 career more sacks than Quinn and has had a far weaker supporting cast.  I think Kerrigan is a better football player than Robert Quinn.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Kerrigan has 9 career more sacks than Quinn and has had a far weaker supporting cast.  I think Kerrigan is a better football player than Robert Quinn.

Quinn got hurt two years in a row and missed 1/2 of the 2015 & 16 seasons and has played 21 less games than Kerrigan becsuse od that.  

Also, I know you and most don’t like to hear this but the truth is it’s easier to beat RTs in the NFL than it is to beat LTs. Quinn has had to rush against Joe Staley his whole career and Russell Okung for most of it not a hodge podge of trash RTs with the best of them being Lane Johnson and Doug Free.

One year Quinn had 19 sacks one year. 

Then there’s also the case that if a great player is playing next to an elite one - he plays next to Aaron Donald - then Donald is going to take some of Quinn’s stats away. 

Anyone who watches Quinn rush the pas vs Kerrigan rush the passer would know that Quinn is the better pure pass rusher. Quinn has elite athleticism for a man his size, he has a quick first step, the bend to turn the corner and the power to finsish. If he hadn’t hurt his back in college he would have been taken higher than he even was in 2011 and he was still taken 11th.

I love Kerrigan, but Watt and Quinn were better prospects and they are better players when they are healthy. Where Kerrigan has them beat is he’s stayed healthy and they haven’t.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Quinn got hurt one year and I know you and most don’t like to hear this but the truth is it’s easier to beat RTs in the NFL than it is to beat LTs. Quinn has had to rush against Joe Staley his whole career and Russell Okung for most of it not a hodge podge of trash RTs with the best of them being Lane Johnson and Doug Free.

One year Quinn had 19 sacks one year. 

Then there’s also the case that if a great player is playing next to an elite one - he plays next to Aaron Donald - then Donald is going to take some of Quinn’s stats away. 

Anyone who watches Quinn rush the pas vs Kerrigan rush the passer would know that Quinn is the better pure pass rusher. Quinn has elite athleticism for a man his size, he has a quick first step, the bend to turn the corner and the power to finsish. If he hadn’t hurt his back in college he would have been taken higher than he even was in 2011 and he was still taken 11th.

I love Kerrigan, but Watt and Quinn were better prospects and they are better players when they are healthy. Where Kerrigan has them beat is he’s stayed healthy and they haven’t.

I mean, yes and no. 

Orakpo's rookie season he got 11 sacks and Andre Carter also got 11.

Check out the numbers for Clark, Sanders and Monk during the glory days.

But yes, it CAN happen.

As for who is the better pure pass rusher, its Quinn. 

Who would I take? Kerrigan. I think he's a more complete player.

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean, yes and no. 

But yes, it CAN happen.

Furthermore, Donald is elite, but he's elite at a position that doesn't produce elite stats. If Donald has 4 sacks, that's fantastic, but in the grand scheme, that is not a lot. On the other hand, Donald getting that kind of pressure makes Quinn much more valuable and effective off the edge.

Frankly, if anything, Donald is responsible for Quinn being as good as he is.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Quinn is asked to do one thing: Rush the QB.

Kerrigan is asked to do more.

Kerrigan mostly rushes the passer and rarely - if ever goes against the opposing team’s best pass blocker - guys like Quinn, Orakpo, Smith and all ROLBs or RDes go against good to elite LTs every week of their career.

Smith, Murphy and Orakpo before them dropped into coverage more than Kerrigan. Quinn last year played ROLB for the Rams, not DE.

This is hilarious and I get accused of having burgundy and gold glasses on all the time?

23 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Furthermore, Donald is elite, but he's elite at a position that doesn't produce elite stats. If Donald has 4 sacks, that's fantastic, but in the grand scheme, that is not a lot. On the other hand, Donald getting that kind of pressure makes Quinn much more valuable and effective off the edge.

Frankly, if anything, Donald is responsible for Quinn being as good as he is.

Really? The 2 seasons before Donald got drafted, Quinn got 10.5 and then 19 sacks in 2012 & 13. Then, the year Donald got elected he dropped back down to 10.5 in 2014.

If you dont think that Donald’s 39 sacks since 2014 have dipped into Quinn’s sack total the  yiure completely naive. Quinn had 19 sacks the year before Donald was drafted and hasn’t gotten near 15 or over since becsuse the 3-tech next to him is also gobbling up sack stats.

In 2015 & 16 he battled injuries and only played a half of a season each year; if you combine the 8 & 9 games he played in those two years combined he had 9 Sacks.

In 2017 he played in 15 games and had 8 sacks.

Also, Quinn has a higher sack rate 66% vs 61% and that’s going against better pass blockers his entire career.

Quinn’s problem is he battled injuries for two years so he’s missed two halves of two seasons or one full season. He  has played 21 less games than Kerrigan because of his injuries in 2015 and 16.

Kerrigan is great, he’s a pretty good run defender and is a relentless pass rusher who gives great effort almost every play, he’s a high motor guy. Quinn is the more talented, faster, quicker first step, more athletic and better bend player who’s a better pure pass rusher.

47 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean, yes and no. 

But yes, it CAN happen.

I’d take Quinn. It’s the injuries that have hurt his “volume stats” like Mknight posted. If Quinn didn’t miss 17 games in 2015 and 2016 he’d have 10 more sacks or so and have as many as Kerrigan does in his career or more. 

The only reason to choose Kerrigan over Quinn is availability. Kerrigan has never gotten seriously injuried to the point that he had to miss half a season.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Kerrigan mostly rushes the passer and rarely - if ever goes against the opposing team’s best pass blocker - guys like Quinn, Orakpo, Smith and all ROLBs or RDes go against good to elite LTs every week of their career.

Smith, Murphy and Orakpo before them dropped into coverage more than Kerrigan. Quinn last year played ROLB for the Rams, not DE.

This is hilarious and I get accused of having burgundy and gold glasses on all the time?

Prove it. Kerrigan gets dropped into coverage. Kerrigan is asked to read the run. Quinn is not.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm happy with the Kerrigan pick overall. I can't say I wish they would've picked JJ Watt because I didn't like him going into that draft and I really wanted Jake Locker lol. 

Haha I liked Locker too.  Also remember we passed on Blaine Gabbert too and we really needed a QB.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Turtle hates Kerrigan, Norman and Scott McCLoughan.

Quit lying, you don’t even know me. Personal attacks should not be allowed in this forum and lying about other posters should not be allowed in this forum. You are so lucky I’m not a moderator. I would not allow you to attack posters and lie about them the way you do.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Prove it. Kerrigan gets dropped into coverage. Kerrigan is asked to read the run. Quinn is not.

I can’t find it. I think it may be on pro football focus only football outsiders but I’ve searched for it and can’t find it. I asked Mark Bullock of the Washington Post and he told me to look there. I asked JP Finlay too and John Keim but they haven’t answered yet.

Archived