Pre Combine positional ranking by Bucky Brooks

Iamcanadian

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915336/article/bucky-brooks-top-5-2018-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position

Always nice to see how those with close contacts to the scouting community, rate this year's crop.

Of course, there will be changes after the Combine and pro days, but this list is probably pretty close to how teams are ranking prospects after the All Star Bowl Games. 

I really don't like Jones or Freeman in the top 5 at running back. I'm just not high on them. I'd take Walton over both, I think. Cain at #5 on the receiver chart seems...ambitious. 

And man, people are really down on Key. Hurst over Vea I can't get behind, and I don't like how he has his linebackers structured in terms of guys in the same grouping. 

Nothing super crazy all told there though. Running back was probably my biggest issue. 

13 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I like Bucky but he lost me with Hurst in front of Da'Ron Payne and no mention of Jerome Baker

I don't know if im crazy or not but i watched that mock draft bucky did on that site and i swear both of them skipped over Daron payne and even took Phillips and Hubbard over him at the end.   Plus they gave us Taven Bryan over him at 26.  Which if we are losing a run stuffer that can get to the apss rusher in Poe we should look to get a guy similar to him in Payne i think who i think is a better player than Bryan coming out.   If he got picked and i missed it then i don't know who he went to but i think he got left out of the 1st round.

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I really don't like Jones or Freeman in the top 5 at running back. I'm just not high on them. I'd take Walton over both, I think. Cain at #5 on the receiver chart seems...ambitious. 

And man, people are really down on Key. Hurst over Vea I can't get behind, and I don't like how he has his linebackers structured in terms of guys in the same grouping. 

Nothing super crazy all told there though. Running back was probably my biggest issue. 

It could be that Hurst is higher than Vea for versatility on the line. Key has been underrated for sometime, he could have Gregory like fall if teams continue to sour on him.

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I don't know if im crazy or not but i watched that mock draft bucky did on that site and i swear both of them skipped over Daron payne and even took Phillips and Hubbard over him at the end.   Plus they gave us Taven Bryan over him at 26.  Which if we are losing a run stuffer that can get to the apss rusher in Poe we should look to get a guy similar to him in Payne i think who i think is a better player than Bryan coming out.   If he got picked and i missed it then i don't know who he went to but i think he got left out of the 1st round.

I like Taven over Payne maybe that's just me though. There's a lot to like about his game.

21 hours ago, Forge said:

nd man, people are really down on Key. Hurst over Vea I can't get behind, and I don't like how he has his linebackers structured in terms of guys in the same grouping.

The problem with Key is the NFL community know a lot more about his off field situation than the average fan. It's hard to judge from the outside

5 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I like Taven over Payne maybe that's just me though. There's a lot to like about his game.

Don't get me wrong i like Taven as a player i still have him as a 1st round guy.  Theirs only 2 other DT's i take before him and thats Vita Vea, and Daron Payne.  I have Bryan and Hurst right behind them in the 25 to 32 range.  While having Vea and Payne in the 15 to 20 range.

Maurice Hurst is going to wash out of the league. I don't like him at all. He's the one spot you don't want to click on if the draft were the minesweeper computer game.

Vita Vea and Da'Ron Payne are infinitely better, especially Vea. Vea might be one of the top 4 or 5 DT's I've ever evaluated. That dude is a superstar athlete with elite size and a motor. Good luck trying to block that dude.

On 2/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, Forge said:

I agree with you on Royce Freeman but Ronald Jones II as well?  Really?   He's the spitting image of Jamaal Charles.  I don't see how with Charles success anyone could be down on Jones.  I do like Mark Walton too though so I don't mind if you prefer Walton over Jones.  But Ronald Jones II not being a top 5 RB?  That's a stretch IMO.

My top 5 RBs are set in stone:

1. Saquon Barkley (Penn State)

2. Rashaad Penny (San Diego St.)

3. Ronald Jones II (USC)

4. Mark Walton (Miami)

5. John Kelly (Tennessee)

2 hours ago, VanS said:

I agree with you on Royce Freeman but Ronald Jones II as well?  Really?   He's the spitting image of Jamaal Charles.  I don't see how with Charles success anyone could be down on Jones.  I do like Mark Walton too though so I don't mind if you prefer Walton over Jones.  But Ronald Jones II not being a top 5 RB?  That's a stretch IMO.

My top 5 RBs are set in stone:

1. Saquon Barkley (Penn State)

2. Rashaad Penny (San Diego St.)

3. Ronald Jones II (USC)

4. Mark Walton (Miami)

5. John Kelly (Tennessee)

After I thought about it, Jones would be right around 5/6 for me 

Hurst is just rated higher, because he is a far better pass rusher and Payne, as far as I can see, is being ranked to go late in round 1 by most NFL.com draft analysts, so I do not think it is far fetched to believe he will go higher in a passing league.

People see Alabama and think he must be great, but it isn't always the case.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:44 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Maurice Hurst is going to wash out of the league. I don't like him at all. He's the one spot you don't want to click on if the draft were the minesweeper computer game.

Vita Vea and Da'Ron Payne are infinitely better, especially Vea. Vea might be one of the top 4 or 5 DT's I've ever evaluated. That dude is a superstar athlete with elite size and a motor. Good luck trying to block that dude.

Was coming to say the opposite. Glad to see someone high on him as I am. I think he has a lot of potential and could see the 10-20 range if a team falls in love with him. Probably late first, though.

13 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

People see Alabama and think he must be great, but it isn't always the case.

I hate this take. Have u watched Payne? He’s a stud on the field and will have the athletic numbers to match his production. The fact that he’s from Alabama doesn’t make him good. His tape does.

Also, there’s a reason why Alabama players are perceived as good. It’s because good players go there to play. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

Archived