Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Not crazy. I am thrilled to see at least a few Redskins fans here that are not standing on the ledge. :D

The only way I would be on the ledge if this were Minnesota and we traded for Teddy Bridgewater (I know he is a free agent and we wouldn't have to trade for him).

I am glad that it was Alex Smith over anyone else that could have been available. 

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If Ryan Grant is a starter for 16 games he’s likely to even be better than he was last year. Remember, he didn’t exactly get starters reps all season. 

As I’ve maintained for 3 offseaons, Grant isn’t special in any way but he’s a steady eddie. There’s nothing to say that Grant can’t have 50 recs, 600 yards and 5 TDs.

I think most Qbs find someone like Grant reliable. He’s usually where he’s supposed to be and makes tough catches - usually - of course he’s not perfect. He’s not a burner, he’s a crafty possession WR.

OMG stop it turtle,If Grant is one of our starting WRs we will be 3-13 lol.

3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I love the "positive waves Moriariy" and hope they come true.

I too recall Gannon having a cannon for an arm and was a very good deep ball thrower. Smith and Gannon are similar in they are both mobile and considered strong leaders.

Lastly, lets stop with the Jon and Jay comparisons. Jon is a tough guy, practices hard, gets in people faces, holds teams to being excellent, where as Jay is just the opposite. Brothers from other Mothers?

I’m not really concerned with who they are as people. If Alex Smith needs a tough guy coach who gets in people’s faces to motivate him and elevate his game, at age 34, then this trade is a failure before he ever takes the field. Given what we know about him, I don’t believe he needs Chucky in order to work hard and attack the playbook/master the offense.

What I care about is their offensive systems and their ability to take QBs with middling tools to the next level. Regardless of what you think of Jay as a coach, it would be tremendously difficult to argue that he doesn’t have a way with QBs — after all, in his two NFL stops, he’s taken two decent QB prospects in Dalton and Cousins and turned them both into Pro Bowlers. 

I think the version(s) of the WCO that Jon and Jay employ are tailor-made for a guy like Smith. As it was for Gannon. Emphasis on pre-snap reads, short drops, quick passes, accuracy to allow for run after the catch, precision and timing, mobility to hurt you when things break down. Building (and calling) the offense with an understanding of what the QB is seeing. 

My belief is that the QB/system fit is what took Gannon to new heights. My hope is that the same good fit will do the same for Smith — or at least continue the late-career breakout he enjoyed under Reid/Nagy. 

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not really concerned with who they are as people. If Alex Smith needs a tough guy coach who gets in people’s faces to motivate him and elevate his game, at age 34, then this trade is a failure before he ever takes the field. Given what we know about him, I don’t believe he needs Chucky in order to work hard and attack the playbook/master the offense.

Well Andy Reid is not that kind of guy to get in the face like Jon Gruden used to be. Like I said, I like the trade considering who we got. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Screw Dan Snyder. Choosing Jeff George over Brad Johnson was probably Snyder’s dumbest decision ever and that’s saying a lot.

Um, no. That was just the start. Hiring Vinny Cerrato, signing Bruce Smith, trading for Donovan, Firing Marty Schottenheimer, signing Albert Haynesworth, Hiring Bruce Allen, not Hiring Gregg Williams for HC, signing Adam Archuleta, letting Cousins walk, ransoming for RGIII,  I mean, the list goes on and on. 

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

What I care about is their offensive systems and their ability to take QBs with middling tools to the next level. Regardless of what you think of Jay as a coach, it would be tremendously difficult to argue that he doesn’t have a way with QBs — after all, in his two NFL stops, he’s taken two decent QB prospects in Dalton and Cousins and turned them both into Pro Bowlers. 

I think the version(s) of the WCO that Jon and Jay employ are tailor-made for a guy like Smith. As it was for Gannon. Emphasis on pre-snap reads, short drops, quick passes, accuracy to allow for run after the catch, precision and timing, mobility to hurt you when things break down. Building (and calling) the offense with an understanding of what the QB is seeing. 

My belief is that the QB/system fit is what took Gannon to new heights. My hope is that the same good fit will do the same for Smith — or at least continue the late-career breakout he enjoyed under Reid/Nagy. 

I’m with you that Smith is a nice fit in the WC system. My point is that we better get used to ball control offense with Smith and that means you need to run the ball effectively and you need a top defense.  Jay has never shown a propensity or commitment to running the ball. It starts in training camp with constant repititions with the OL, TE, RB and WR against a defense. I’ve watched a half a dozen of his practices- and he has structured them much more like a flag football camp than preparing for the NFL season. (Hence the spa Gruden references, with the watermelon infused waters, herbal teas, slippers). The Offense personnel practices most of the time against air. ( try doing air pushups- there are pretty easy compared to the real thing but you don’t get any stronger).  He loves to play around in pass game, guys lounge and coast in practice. I can’t locate the quotes from Bellichik and Brady about the time they practiced against us, but it was similar to “ we can’t wait to get back home so we can increase our practice intensity”

but to the point of this thread- Smith won’t take a team to the Super Bowl. He’s a solid older experienced QB who manages the short passing game well. He won’t embarrass himself and we have a pretty good chance of being 8-8. I’d rather had signed Kirk a few years ago, but I guarantee Marshmellow Jay Gruden  won’t ever take a team to a Super Bowl because he doesn’t work hard enough getting the most out of his teams. And isn’t winning the Super Bowl the only thing that matters? 

Welcome to the football version of the Wizards. 

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

Um, no. That was just the start. Hiring Vinny Cerrato, signing Bruce Smith, trading for Donovan, Firing Marty Schottenheimer, signing Albert Haynesworth, Hiring Bruce Allen, not Hiring Gregg Williams for HC, signing Adam Archuleta, letting Cousins walk, ransoming for RGIII,  I mean, the list goes on and on. 

I don’t see how this can be the counter when Brad Johnson was a botched FG snap away from having us in the 99-00 NFC Championship, he then had an average 2000-01 season - mostly because of injuries to his starting WRs - and then was gone.

What did he do the year after leaving the Redskins? Win a super bowl for Jon Gruden and the Bucs. 

For as much as I agree the other things were truly disasters, letting a championship level qb walk out the door in 2001 was the worst. 

There should have been no Ramsey, no Brunell and maybe even no Campbell because either Brad Johnson or even Trent Green - who should’ve been re-signed in 99 - should have been our qb for most of last decade. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Anonymous said:

Does anyone know if there is an out for the Alex Smith contract? He was terrible yesterday and has been just average the entire season.

Yes, I believe it’s after 2 years. It was more than just the QB though. Once again, couldn’t run the ball and Moses & the interior OL were abused most of the game.

Archived