Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

57 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Flag football... not sure if serious...

Maybe you all should pay attention to the interior OL play & AD’s blocking and see how much they’ve struggled to handle stunts and A gap blitzes the last two weeks, maybe if you paid attention to that and not just stats you’d see why the QB has only been mediocre and not good to great.

Roullier has really struggled in pass pro at LG, even worse than Lauvao. 

You're REALLY not helping your case here Turtle. Did defenses suddenly come up with a way to penetrate OL blocking that was never seen by these guys before? Was "stunting" just recently invented?

I would posit that it isn't new. I would also posit that the OL not being on the same page is again, an VERY poor excuse. 

WHY are they not on the same page?

And again, its not entirely on the OL. Smith is not playing well either.

I’m never going to be able to prove anything to people who never wanted Alex on the redskins to begin with. It’s obvious. I don’t even know why I post here to be honest, as I’ve said for a few years, believe it or not, Twitter is a much friendlier place to talk about the Redskins than this forum.

I need a few days away from this place.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I realized. That’s when we went into “protect the lead mode.” That is not a QB decision, that’s a coaching decision.

Again, that in-game change in philosophy magnifies Smith's hesitance to take chances, which magnifies Gruden's decision to "protect the lead", which magnifies Smith's ... 

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Taking chances when you have a lead in the second half can lead to mistakes and a loss - even if your up by two scores - like Kyle Shanahan and Matt Ryan had in the Super Bowl vs the Patriots.

That's Kyle's fatal flaw: pride.

He was sure that his offense was so potent, the passing game so powerful that he could go away from the run game (even though Devonta Foreman and Tevin Coleman were grabbing six yards a clip on average).

Gruden's flaw is fear.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Alex hasn’t been awful, he’s just been mediocre in every game but 2 and in those 2 games, he was good.

1. Mediocre is incredibly kind for his play in the Colts game.
  2. That means that in 60% of games he's played so far for Washington, he has been "mediocre."

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m never going to be able to prove anything to people who never wanted Alex on the redskins to begin with. It’s obvious. I don’t even know why I post here to be honest, as I’ve said for a few years, believe it or not, Twitter is a much friendlier place to talk about the Redskins than this forum.

Not with the arguments you've presented so far, you won't 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's just choosing to live in an echo chamber with opinions you like.

Here's the thing: I thought that you were being overly harsh on Norman going into the season. However, prior to that Panthers game, you were right. Sometimes he would diagnose the play properly, but completely whiff on the tackle. Sometimes he was completely out of position or had a miscommunication with the others in the secondary. I listened to your points, watched his play, and saw that he was not playing up to snuff (again, prior to last Sunday).

You've decided that we're wrong and won't listen to us because "we're haters." We're fans of this team, but we want to see this team perform WELL. They haven't done that for the majority of the season.

DVOA rankings for Washington (I'm not including the percentages since it is relative to other teams)

• Offense
    • overall: 21st
    • overall pass: 25th
    • overall rush: 13th
  • By down and type of play
    • 1st down and pass: 16th
    • 1st down and rush: 18th
    • 2nd down and pass: 25th
    • 2nd down and rush: 8th
    • 3rd/4th down and pass: 15th
    • 3rd/4th down and rush: 11th

Granted this is a small sample set, but based on these numbers, the Redskins would be better to pass on first down and then pound the rock with Peterson on 2nd and 3rd down.

Again, it's not all Smith. You're right that Gruden shares the blame. But as I said before, Gruden and Smith heighten each's bad tendencies.

• Offense by time of game
    • Halves
      • 1st half: 9th
      • 2nd half: 30th
    • Quarters
      • 1st quarter: 14th
      • 2nd quarter: 10th
      • 3rd quarter: 26th
      • 4th quarter: 29th
  • By Score Gap
    • Losing big: 25th
    • Tie/losing small: 17th
    • Winning small: 7th
    • Winning big: 18th
    • Late & close: 26th

If the game is close and in Washington's favor, they are one of the best teams in the league on offense.  Likewise, early on the train is rolling. A losing by a little or tied or winning big, they are almost dead center average. Losing big and late/close? They flat out suck. That's a combination of both coach and quarterback not wanting to take chances.

Whether you like it or not, Alex Smith is always going to be judged against his opportunity cost. Fair or not to Alex, the equation is always going to be Alex Smith + $10M in salary (and we're under the cap this year?) vs. Kirk Cousins+Kendall Fuller+3rd Round Pick. For Alex to win in that equation, he needs to prove that he's a guy that can lead a team to wins, be a leader, and elevate this team further than we've gone in the past.

In 5 games, Alex hasn't shown he can do that. No one think Alex isn't a capable QB, but he needs to be a top 10 QB in the league to live up to the position the FO put him in, and he's not even close right now.

This team has been real bad for 25+ years, save for a handful of seasons.

We've had many starting QB's over that period.

I'm judging Alex by wins & nothing more.

I don't care how he does it.

If you guy want to critique him on every level? Be my guest.

But if he Captain checkdowns his way to victory & post season play?

Then that's better than the crap I've been watching, for a very long time.

12 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

1. As @Thaiphoon has said time and again, it's a team game. A kicker misses a kick, a defense doesn't hold or loses an assignment, that still counts as a loss for the quarterback.
  2. The way he's playing, he's not going to get to victory & post season play.
  3. While the Redskins have had many QBs over that period, early returns on Smith do not have him comparing all that favorably against that admittedly low bar of talent.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You wernt trying to prove anything. You were being petty with me in doing nothing but trying to get last word in by shifting off course from the topic.

Mention the coaching isnt up to snuff in getting the qb (regardless of whom it may be, which is why Cousins is mentioned) meshing well with receivers. A lot of times not being on the same page. And somehow you throw in the OL and everything else in the world in the mix. If he was getting 2.1 seconds before first touch like Campbell was getting, itd be a different story. Hes getting more time than half the qbs in the league.

Saying Cousins is excelling away from Jay, while Alex was excelling at KC and has fallen off a cliff under Jay is somehow hating on Alex. I dont get it.

7 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

How about judging him on how many hot dogs are sold?

Archived