Sign in to follow this  
Pastor Dillon

Clowney Extension

The Clowney Extension is coming. The question is whether or not he is worth the 100 million or so he is about to get. Personally i think hes vastly overratted. Hes a solid starter, but hes probably gonna get a bigger deal than Watt got a few years ago. Watt has 2 different seasons with more sacks than Clowney has in his career. And we are already on the hook for what is now a terrible deal for Watt. I dont want to lose Clowney but I dont want to give him 100 million either

I think the team needs to wait out and see how the Khalil Mack extension is done. Even with Clowney having a strong two seasons, I don't think anyone on either side of the negotiation can say he deserves more than Mack. 

Let Mack set the market and go low. Be prepared to let him play on that final year and - hopefully with Rick Smith gone - be prepared to negotiate and sign mid season. 

Clowney and his side also need to be aware that his performance to date is on the upswing, but pretty lackluster for a guy drafted #1 overall. Sack numbers withstanding, he's a significant injury risk. That's got to be figured into the price.

I really don't think he gets over $17M.  I know that is still high, but I think that's what he gets. Watt's contract was a few years ago and unfortunately contracts are rising.  I have a feeling he gets 5 years frontloaded with the 5th year being easy for us to get out of.

The real question to me, is will Watt restructure?   Texans have no leverage to make him, but they can still try.  He's made a fortune already and another fortune in endorsements.  It's not like it would kill him to take a small pay reduction based on two years of very little production.   But frankly from a player standpoint he busted his *** all offseason and was then hurt on the job, so....I wouldn't. 

I would make him play this year and depending on how Watt returns, make a decision. If Watt is good to go you find a way to keep them both, even restructuring JJs deal. If Watt isn't very good you make him take a pay cut or trade him and keep Clowney. Both have high risk for early decline based on the significant injuries they have sustained. But both are the top of their position when healthy.