Combine snubs

TVScout

This was spoken about a good amount in the other thread. It's pretty bad too that list of snubs doesn't contain Justin Watson, who played well throughout the Senior Bowl week. Guy looks a lot like Cooper Kupp.

Overall, I would say my top 15 snubs would be:

1. WR Daurice Fountain (Northern Iowa)
  2. WR Justin Watson (Penn - these two WR's are basically tied for me until we see test results)
  3. S Trayvon Henderson (Hawaii)
  4. TE Adam Breneman (UMass)
  5. DT Poona Ford (Texas)
  6. OG Maea Teuhema (Southeastern Louisiana)
  7. CB Arrion Springs (Oregon)
  8. LB Devante Downs (California)
  9. OG/RT Darius James (Auburn)
  10. OG/RT Matt Pryor (TCU)
  11. WR Thomas Owens (FIU)
  12. RB Ito Smith (Southern Miss)
  13. TE Deon Yelder (Western Kentucky)
  14. WR Steve Ishmael (Syracuse)
  15. K Lane Clark (Tennessee State)

I know 30 on average that do not get invited to the Combine generally get drafted, but I would be hard-pressed to pass out many draftable grades outside of those 15 above listed (and the bottom two are quite borderline and Ishmael will be dependent on testing. Clark has a boot and deserves a shot in the final round).

Breneman's injury history just scares the crap out of people.  I mean he retired from football after three years at Penn State due to injury.  Later came back and had a productive, two years at UMass but had a lot of nagging injuries.  Then got hurt again at the Senior Bowl.

Marcus Martin DE/OLB- Slippery Rock 

Not sure how many D2 players were invited this year, but some stats on Marcus 

56 Career Sack- NCAA All-Time Sack Leader (All Divisions)

92.5 TFL (D2 Record)

Gene Upshaw Award Winner (D2 Lineman of the year)

4-Time PSAC Player of the year

20 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

92.5 TFL (D2 Record)

Marcus was insanely productive at the D2 level, yes, but all you have to do is turn on the tape to see his athleticism is average, even compared to D2 guys. And his physical tools are poor (6010, 250 lbs, 31.5" arms). Martin was also moved to fullback at the Shrine Game. That should speak volumes to how NFL teams view his future at end.

4 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Marcus was insanely productive at the D2 level, yes, but all you have to do is turn on the tape to see his athleticism is average, even compared to D2 guys. And his physical tools are poor (6010, 250 lbs, 31.5" arms). Martin was also moved to fullback at the Shrine Game. That should speak volumes to how NFL teams view his future at end.

Agree, to an extent with you on that. Doesn't mean he isn't a snub though. Think with that kind of production you deserve a shot at the combine. Even as a FB look.

17 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

Agree, to an extent with you on that. Doesn't mean he isn't a snub though. Think with that kind of production you deserve a shot at the combine. Even as a FB look.

That's not what the Combine is about though. As stated on the Combine's site:

ALL eligible players are reviewed and voted on by the committee members. Each athlete receiving the necessary number of votes, by position, is then extended an invitation. While it is not a perfect science, the goal of the committee is to invite every player that will be drafted in the ensuing NFL Draft.

They watch the tape and this example, as is the thought of most it seems, Marcus isn't a draftable player. Undersized, short arms and below average athleticism is not an ideal trio for a potential NFL EDGE rusher...

15 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

That's not what the Combine is about though. As stated on the Combine's site:

They watch the tape and this example, as is the thought of most it seems, Marcus isn't a draftable player. Undersized, short arms and below average athleticism is not an ideal trio for a potential NFL EDGE rusher...

Totally understand what you're saying, however I'll direct you to the OP to see how many players invited to the combine yearly aren't drafted. While I understand they cannot be perfect, I think it's unfortunate that Marcus is already given the short end of the stick because of his D2 level of play. If he had that kind of production and limitations labeled by NFL scouts but went to OSU, ND, USC etc. he would receive an invite without a doubt. 

8 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

Totally understand what you're saying, however I'll direct you to the OP to see how many players invited to the combine yearly aren't drafted. While I understand they cannot be perfect, I think it's unfortunate that Marcus is already given the short end of the stick because of his D2 level of play. If he had that kind of production and limitations labeled by NFL scouts but went to OSU, ND, USC etc. he would receive an invite without a doubt. 

Perhaps, but there are guys every year, even from the FBS and FCS, that have great production and no Combine invite. Andrew Ankrah from James Madison this year. He's been one of the better FCS defenders the last few years for one of the best programs at that level. Nobody is even talking about him (I have him in my very bottom tier of EDGE guys right now), let alone a Combine invite. Brian Womac of Rice had 22 TFL this year, he hasn't gotten a sniff (no All-Star games, no Combine). Zach Sieler of Ferris State, after leaving school early and being 6'6", 290 lbs. and compiling 21 TFL this year, did not get a Combine invite either.

Production is a small piece of the pie. It's all about projection and Martin simply doesn't project well to the next level. I use to work in the conference and know Martin is a great kid from talking to teammates and people around the PSAC, but he simply doesn't project to the next level well. You also have to remember to that scouts have been through an area like that multiple times already and likely already have rough idea of how he is going to test. If at his size with short arms they didn't invite him despite his production, it's because they already know he isn't going to test great. NFL teams don't see that worthy of a Combine invite for a guy who might crack the 7th round strictly as a special teamer/tweener player.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, JPeezy55 said:

92.5 TFL (D2 Record)

The invites are on interests from the teams.  A player must have x number of teams interested in them to get the invite( x being the number of teams needed to vote on a prospect for the committee for the invite).  I do not know x.  In this case it does not mean that there are not teams interested in Martin.  Just less than x.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 10:39 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Devante Kincade - QB/WR/KR - Grambling 

I use to love Kincade as a HS recruit (he looked great on that show that Dilfer did), but his NFL prospects were dim and got even worse after he measured in at 5105, 186 lbs. with only 8 7/8" hands at one of the ASG. Added that he is 24-years old and is insanely undersized across the board for the QB position, he has to learn a new position to have a chance at the next level. His odds are slim.

1 hour ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I use to love Kincade as a HS recruit (he looked great on that show that Dilfer did), but his NFL prospects were dim and got even worse after he measured in at 5105, 186 lbs. with only 8 7/8" hands at one of the ASG. Added that he is 24-years old and is insanely undersized across the board for the QB position, he has to learn a new position to have a chance at the next level. His odds are slim.

His livelihood will be hinged on the numbers he put up

Archived