Advice from the old guys

JDLefebvre

If it is Bens last year it's important us in the forum who are over the age of say 35 explain to you younger guys what the future may hold.  You've spent most of your life with hope and realistic hope at that.   You saw the Steelers make 3 Super Bowls and win 2 and that was without a doubt to having a reliable star Quarterback!!!!    You don't know, can't comprehend how us old guys had to suffer... you have no clue how much we had to struggle with Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart,  Neil Odonnell, Jim Miller and Mark Malone.   To have great defenses year after year and get Oh so close but never win that championship.....    If you think it'll be easy to find the 'next great QB'.... bwahahaha.  Steeler fans have become spoiled, and greedy... success will bring that on a franchise and every successful  franchise has their share of uneducated fair weather fans.  

So this is a warning of caution and this thread may serve as a place of healing, advice on how to cope... survive....  but if Ben leaves next year, or the year after... it could be another bleak decade or more.   Prepare yourself.

If the time does come.. Us Steeler forum's amazing 'old men' are here to help.  Together we will get thru this.  

6 hours ago, JDLefebvre said:

If it is Bens last year it's important us in the forum who are over the age of say 35 explain to you younger guys what the future may hold.  You've spent most of your life with hope and realistic hope at that.   You saw the Steelers make 3 Super Bowls and win 2 and that was without a doubt to having a reliable star Quarterback!!!!    You don't know, can't comprehend how us old guys had to suffer... you have no clue how much we had to struggle with Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart,  Neil Odonnell, Jim Miller and Mark Malone.   To have great defenses year after year and get Oh so close but never win that championship.....    If you think it'll be easy to find the 'next great QB'.... bwahahaha.  Steeler fans have become spoiled, and greedy... success will bring that on a franchise and every successful  franchise has their share of uneducated fair weather fans.  

So this is a warning of caution and this thread may serve as a place of healing, advice on how to cope... survive....  but if Ben leaves next year, or the year after... it could be another bleak decade or more.   Prepare yourself.

If the time does come.. Us Steeler forum's amazing 'old men' are here to help.  Together we will get thru this.  

This post is a strong reminder of what it's like to be a Titans fan that lives in Wisconsin. Life as an NFL fan can sometimes be a miserable experience. Too many don't appreciate just how much fun consistently being in the playoffs every year is/should be.

Its ridiculous how spoiled we have all been as Steeler fans.    I mean, the 80s have really been the only dark years, and even then we werent god awful.    I started watching the Steelers in 92, so the Steelers have been good pretty much my entire football-watching life.

However, things like this are pretty cyclical.   I think our team is currently run well enough where we wont completely fall apart even if Ben leaves and we cant immediate find a QB....but I could see us being a middling team until either we find a new QB and get back to being good....or start to lose talent and quality coaches and personnel until we are a bottom feeder.

Ive prepared myself for the worst, but honestly, I was blessed to get to be a fan of a premier NFL team most of my young life....so I can handle if things get rough.   Hoping that doesnt happen, but again, Im prepared.

I'll handle the end of our run with Ben MUCH better IF Father time slaps Brady across the face (hard) and they also turn into an average team.  Very few coaches can overcome not having a great QB and staying #1-2 in the league. Big Bill is up there in age and doubt he stays much past the Brady Era.  

I'm prepared for this as well and here to help the rest of you thru it!!! :)

The toughest thing is the revolving door that ends up getting created. At QB, at coaching, etc. We fans need to trust the Rooney's when they extend Tomlin while we are having losing seasons. We need to not get sucked into a QB that has a hot year thinking he is the next coming when he could easily flame out (see the Browns last winning season).

Constancy is the basis to build on..and that takes time and patience. 

On 7/30/2017 at 4:00 PM, JDLefebvre said:

I just got chills reading that list of quarterbacks.  It was a tough road indeed.  Not by other franchise standards but by ours, yes.  It was tough, not only because we didn't win one but also because there were so many opportunities that slipped through the cracks.  (AFC Championships at home)  It has been a great luxury to "not worry" about the quarterback position these last 13 years.  But the day will come soon and probably sooner than any of us would like that we will have to wander in the desert of mediocre quarterbacks again.  Hopefully not for 25 years this time.  

On 7/30/2017 at 5:00 PM, JDLefebvre said:

I agree.  I have been debating going to the Vikings game on the 17th for that very reason.  I have been to a Steelers' game, but never a home game.  I want to see a home game while they still have a QB, because who knows how long it will be till they're worth a crap again after Ben leaves.  At least in the 90s and early 00s, we had a great coach and defense.  We have subpar coaches at best now, and lets face it, Ben is the team.  We all saw how Landry Jones has looked when he replaced Ben.  We saw how pathetic Dobbs looked tonight.  The team might be .500 without Ben, but it certainly won't be worth the $2500 the entire trip would cost for me to take my girl to Pittsburgh for a game now.  

You know, Neil O'Suckell still makes my blood boil whenever I think of him.  I saw a punter (for the Bears maybe) in a preseason game today, named O'Donnell, and that's the first thing I thought of.  Yuck.  

Don't forget Tommy Gun either!  He was so good he got us in position to draft a franchise QB (#11 pick).  That's the highest pick I can remember.  Rod Woodson, my other favorite Steelers, was also picked at #11, but he was drafted before I was watching much football as I was 8 years old lol.  

7 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Don't forget Tommy Gun either!  He was so good he got us in position to draft a franchise QB (#11 pick).  That's the highest pick I can remember.  Rod Woodson, my other favorite Steelers, was also picked at #11, but he was drafted before I was watching much football as I was 8 years old lol.  

Troy Edwards and Plaxico (I believe) were each drafted higher than 11 during our years and years of searching for a #1 WR.  

54 minutes ago, JDLefebvre said:

Troy Edwards and Plaxico (I believe) were each drafted higher than 11 during our years and years of searching for a #1 WR.  

No they weren't.  Edwards was #13.  He was a Husker-Killer though, so that's ok lol.  

Plax was #8 though.  I guess that was those years where I was busy in college and didn't follow football as closely for a while.  I was also more than a little disgusted with the team for Rod Woodson leaving so my heart wasn't in it for a while either.  

So you were half-right lol.  But I was definitely wrong about Ben and Rod being the only picks 11 or higher in recent memory.  Leon Searcy was also #11.  Tim Worley was #7, but that was before I was really watching football.  Woodson was also #10, not #11.  

Regardless, Tommy Gun was responsible for us picking at #11, which was almost unheard of in the 90s-00s with Cowher, even when they had no QB.  

12 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

No they weren't.  Edwards was #13.  He was a Husker-Killer though, so that's ok lol.  

Plax was #8 though.  I guess that was those years where I was busy in college and didn't follow football as closely for a while.  I was also more than a little disgusted with the team for Rod Woodson leaving so my heart wasn't in it for a while either.  

So you were half-right lol.  But I was definitely wrong about Ben and Rod being the only picks 11 or higher in recent memory.  Leon Searcy was also #11.  Tim Worley was #7, but that was before I was really watching football.  Woodson was also #10, not #11.  

Regardless, Tommy Gun was responsible for us picking at #11, which was almost unheard of in the 90s-00s with Cowher, even when they had no QB.  

OK... some reason 8th stuck out to me for Edwards.  

Archived