DB424’s Pre-Combine Mock Draft

diamondbull424

2018 MOCK FREE AGENCY

The Ravens release WR Jeremy Maclin and choose not to resign any of their free agents. They move on from Mike Wallace and aren’t willing to resign Jensen for the contract that he commands.

RAVENS FREE AGENT SIGNINGS

Jimmy Graham- takes the draft focus from needing to grab a playmaking TE. But if one becomes available his age allows us to develop them as an heir apparent and immediately compete as a TE#2. The Ravens make it clear to Graham that he is their number one target and go all out to secure his services. They see that he is a veteran that would improve their biggest offensive deficiency, redzone offense. Graham is still easily a top 10 TE in the league and gives Flacco a nearby outlet that he can develop a rhythm with. Before going to Seattle, Graham was considered in argument with Gronk to be the best TE in the league, the Ravens will see if he can’t tap into some of that former dominance with a change of scenery.

Jordan Matthews- A young veteran receiver. He reduces the need to HAVE to take a WR early. We can operate more off BPA. He was able to produce as a solid #2 receiver before his knee started to go. He has excellent hands and is a great 3rd down option. Put him on a prove it deal and see if he can’t get back to form. If he does, he’s a steal. If he doesn’t, well, those are the breaks.

DB424’s PRE-COMBINE MOCK DRAFT

TRADE#1: No elite defensive player falls to the pick. There are a number of solid RT options in the draft. And none of the receivers are worth a selection at this point. We move down and pick up picks. We move down trading with the Bills as they move up for Baker Mayfield. We add their 1st (21st), 3rd (96th), and 5th (149th) round selections.

TRADE#2: All of the top receivers outside of Calvin Ridley are still on the board. So we feel no urgency to make a selection here. Our #1 priority is stacking up on playmaking talent. And like DeCosta said, the strength of the draft is in the 2nd-3rd round for both playmaking WRs and RBs. The Tennessee Titans and Ravens might have a slight relationship with Pees now on the staff and they move up to get Pees the ability to address the Titans abysmal secondary and add a playmaking corner. The Ravens obtain the Titans 1st (25th) and 4th (121st) round picks in the process.

UPDATED PICKS: Titans 1st, Ravens 2nd, Ravens 3rd, Eagles 3rd, Comp 3rd, Ravens 4th, Titans 4th, Ravens 5th, Bills 5th, Ravens 6th- 10 picks.

The Carolina Panthers target and select WR Courtland Sutton with their selection and this starts the likely run on receivers. So the Ravens get while the getting is good.

ROUND ONE

BAL RAVENS SELECT

DJ Moore, WR, Maryland

5’11” 215 lbs, 80 recs- 1033 yds- 8 tds

Pro Comparison- Steve Smith/Derrick Mason

Shoutout to @DreamKid for the comparison. Usually I don’t like comparing players to Steve Smith because it’s overused and generally not accurate. But I like this comparison for Moore. He plays inside and out. Has an escapability factor, good deep speed, great hands, elite field vision, and an obvious swagger on the field. He’s a cross between Steve Smith and Derrick Mason.

So why DJ Moore and not Michael Gallup? I rank both players in the same grouping of talent level. That said, Gallup has only two seasons of tape to really use whereas Moore has three seasons. Moore is in the Ravens backyard and they will know more about him than most any receiving prospect. They also had success dipping into the Maryland well with similarly athletic and talented Torrey Smith. Moore has better hands and versatility than Smith, so the Ravens go back to that well.

ROUND TWO

BAL RAVENS SELECT

Frank Ragnow, OC, Arkansas

6’5” 317 lbs, Pulling center 

Pro Comparison- Alex Mack

A bigger sized center option with plus movement skills. Selecting him would reunite him with his collegiate running back, Alex Collins. Ragnow pulls like an elite guard. Has the strength to hold up sizable defenders and does a great job picking up stunts. I think he’s the best center in the class and an elite option. But his perceived value seems to be in the 2nd-3rd rounds as he’s deemed by some as the third best center option in the class. If he falls this far, the Ravens will have no choice but to take him as a) best player available b) as an obvious need after the loss of Jensen and c) as a means of making @Danand happy with my mock draft.?

TRADE#3: BAL Ravens trade up with the IND Colts. Trade our 3rd round compensatory pick and the Titans 4th round selection to move to pick #67 in the third round.

ROUND THREE

BAL RAVENS SELECT

Tyrell Crosby, RT, Oregon

6’5” 325 lbs, Pancaking RT

I think Crosby gets pegged as a RT only prospect after the combine and sees lesser players with better athletic profiles get selected ahead of him because they are prettier athletes for the left tackle slot. Guys like Brandon Parker and Chukwuma Okorafor. The Ravens see a high level talent falling in the draft and this time give up ammunition to secure him. Crosby by my eyes is the second best offensive tackle in this class and is a perfect fit for the kind of line the Ravens are looking to build.

Big, physical, and mean. He’s probably the best run blocker in this class and does well in pass protection. Crosby falling is a product of NFL teams overthinking and swinging for the home run vs getting the double. The Ravens strength in drafting is with the trenches. And they do it again, locking up their OL with talent for the foreseeable future.

ROUND THREE

Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

5’11” 228 lbs, 233 car-1345 yds, 15 TDs

Pro Comparison: Frank Gore

Similar backgrounds and rushing style. Frank Gote was perhaps the most highly regarded and talented running back to come out of those awesome Miami teams before shredding his knees in college. He bounced back and has had a dynamic pro career as a consistent 1000 yard rushing back.

Chubb was highly touted as a back and made many forget about Todd Gurley after Chubb’s freshman campaign. He was considered as a rising sophomore as the top back in the nation before tearing his acl. He’s since recovered and become the 2nd most productive back in SEC history. He’s not as agile as he once was, but each season he seems to have regained more and more agility. Training for the combine could produce even more quickness.

Chubb ran behind a talented offensive line, but it’s his yardage after contact numbers that make him a very impressive specimen. He keeps his legs churning. Two underrated part of Chubbs game is a) his intelligence and b) his clutch ability. The reason Georgia used Chubb over Sony Michel is because he was able to run during zbs concepts as well as mbs concepts, whereas Michel most deployed only for the zbs runs. Not only did Chubb know all the plays but could be relied on in big moments to tote the rock.

Chubb also was an underutilized receiving threat. Largely because of his lack of agility as compared to the other Georgia backs. But when asked to receive he makes plays by carrying piles. Speaking of passing downs, Chubb is probably one of the best pass blocking backs in this draft class. Making him versatile on 3rd downs. He can stay in and provide protection. Or get a pass in the flats and drag a pile towards the first down marker.

ROUND THREE

DeShon Elliot, SS, Texas

6’2” 210 lbs, 63 Tkls, 8.5 TFL, 3 FFs, 1 FR, 1.5 sks, 9 PD, 6 Ints, 2 TDs

Everyone here has been introduced to DeShon Elliot. Now normally I wouldn’t think that the Ravens would target a junior prospect, as they usually prefer to select seniors or juniors with a ton of starting experience. Generally one year wonders aren’t players they consider. However former Raven safety Michael Huff arrived back at Texas as a coach and assisted in the development of Elliot. Perhaps Huff might leverage that relationship to just put Elliot in front of different NFL decision makers.

Elliot has shown a propensity to put himself at the right place and at the right time. Elliot is all over the place in where it seems he’s evaluated, with most believing he’ll be a day two selection and some even believing day 3. The Ravens don’t overthink it, they have Elliot high on their board, so they make the pick.

The idea here with Elliot likely being to allow him to play special teams and redshirt. See where he works best at, be it as a safety, a nickel backer, or perhaps even to bulk up and play next to C.J. Mosley at inside linebacker. Elliot is a versatile player and could compete at both he safety and linebacker roles while not HAVING the pressure of starting right away.

ROUND FOUR

Marcel Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State

6’4” 220 lbs, 59 recs- 1156 yds- 8 tds

Pro Comparison: Eric Decker

Ateman is a big physical wide receiver that is a 3rd down and redzone threat. Ateman provides a similar type of player to what Flacco had with Anquan Boldin, someone that when no one else is open you can force feed the ball into his area and let him go 1on1 with the corner for supremacy and he’ll usually come away with those balls more than not. If he doesn’t he will generally play defense to keep the defender from getting it. Ateman isn’t a passive receiver either, he attacks the ball while it’s still in the air and at its highest point. Ateman is both insurance in the event that Jordan Matthews doesn’t workout, while also presenting a different type of playing style. This would give Flacco a host of different receiver styles to adjust to and make plays with. 

Ateman is ranked by multiple places as a 4th round option. But I think he’s talented enough to be in that 2nd-3rd round cluster. He likely falls because his hands are good but not great. And he doesn’t create plus separation on his routes. With Ateman he is what he is, you’re not getting someone with potential to be a #1 option. He’s someone you want to split out wide and let him win with throwing alley hoop passes to. 

ROUND FIVE

Dorian O’Daniel, OLB, Clemson

6’1” 215 lbs, 88 Tkls, 11.5 TFL, 5 sks, 2 FR, 5 PD, 2 Ints, 2 TDs

Baltimore native Dorian O’Daniel is someone you want to start following. He just screams Raven to me. He’s a hyper athletic 43 OLB for Clemson. He didn’t work his way into the starting lineup until his senior season. But when he did he took full the horns of his opportunity and led the Clemson defense in tackles, moving sideline to sideline and making plays. Limited tape and being a late bloomer will likely hurt his draft stock. But the biggest reason I think he screams Ravens, is his special teams ability. He’s an elite kickoff coverage warrior. He had 48 tackles on special teams in his collegiate career.

O’Daniel should be able to immediately come in and lock up a special teams spot as well as compete for the 34 ILB spot opposite Mosley, developing his skill set in pass coverage.

ROUND FIVE

Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis

6’4” 210 lbs, 4257 yds, 38 TDs/9 Ints

Riley Ferguson has displayed leadership skills with leading Memphis’ offense the last two seasons. I think he’s the true engine and architect of their success. No offense to their Miller, because he’s definitely a talented receiver, but I think Ferguson is a little underrated in his efforts to put Miller on the map with accurate passes in tight windows.

The Ravens have a legit QBs coach for the first time in years and so giving James Urban a legit young backup quarterback like Ferguson to mold could pay dividends. Ferguson was a top high school QB recruit coming out but had an injury and then found his way to Memphis. Ferguson should give Flacco someone he can mentor and a bridge to relating to some of the younger players that come onto the team. Ferguson also should have the talent to keep the offense going if Flacco were at some point to go down with an injury.

ROUND SIX

Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama

6’1” 180 lbs, 48 Tkls, 15 PD, 3 Ints, 1 TD

Pro Comparison: Maurice Canady

Levi Wallace did the improbable and walked on at Alabama as a non rated player coming out of high school. He played scout team his first two seasons until eventually EARNING a scholarship from Nick Saban. He transformed himself into a starter and eventually landed himself in the senior bowl. 

Wallace is very thin and takes his time to get his head around when against deep coverage. He excels in press man coverage where he can use his extra long arms to crowd receivers in stay in tight coverage. He does a great job of using his reach to dislodge receptions at the last second as receivers aren’t expecting that type of reach. Wallace isn’t a freak athletic specimen, but has already proven he can make it as one of the top defensive backs along the best defense in college football. He’s a hard worker. His long athletic profile compares favorably to what the Ravens were able to develop with Maurice Canady. So with a year to redshirt, Wallace could prove to be a proficient defensive back in coverage.

I like it, I can see DJ Moore jumping into the 1st round with a strong pro day. Although, il be pretty bummed if we trade back and miss out on Sutton, but like I said before, the ravens need to get Moore on the team, and this certainly does that.

Great job DB. DJ Moore would be a strong strong 1st round pick for us. He clearly has a 1st round skill set as a pure weapon, and his massive potential warrants a 1st round pick as well. His connection to and popularity in the area would go a long way towards rebuilding the team's connection with hometown fans. Strong hands, explosion, YAC on YAC, amazing contact balance, he's got it all. I don't care if the team picks him at #16, we can afford to "reach" on a player with a lower first round grade, especially at WR and certainly with DJ Moore.

Ragnow and Crosby make our line beastly and with Roman's imprint that unit becomes a team strength. 

Elliot is a young versatile player who will only become better and sitting behind Weddle and Jefferson, two guys that had to put in massive work to become they players they are, would be a great experience for him. He can play either safety spot and could earn time at Levine's role, another strong pick. 

Ateman gives a strong contrast to Moore and let's us come away with two really solid pass catchers.

So do we not have a 7th round pick because of the Bergstrom trade? I haven't been able to find the actually terms on that conditional pick.

23 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Great job DB. DJ Moore would be a strong strong 1st round pick for us. He clearly has a 1st round skill set as a pure weapon, and his massive potential warrants a 1st round pick as well. His connection to and popularity in the area would go a long way towards rebuilding the team's connection with hometown fans. Strong hands, explosion, YAC on YAC, amazing contact balance, he's got it all. I don't care if the team picks him at #16, we can afford to "reach" on a player with a lower first round grade, especially at WR and certainly with DJ Moore.

Ragnow and Crosby make our line beastly and with Roman's imprint that unit becomes a team strength. 

Elliot is a young versatile player who will only become better and sitting behind Weddle and Jefferson, two guys that had to put in massive work to become they players they are, would be a great experience for him. He can play either safety spot and could earn time at Levine's role, another strong pick. 

Ateman gives a strong contrast to Moore and let's us come away with two really solid pass catchers.

So do we not have a 7th round pick because of the Bergstrom trade? I haven't been able to find the actually terms on that conditional pick.

Yup. Cbssports reported that we gave up our 7th rounder in a conditional trade. Which means it probably was conditional in that it could’ve been a higher pick had he been used more, but because he was only used for 32 snaps, it only boiled down to a 7th round pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-baltimore-ravens-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yeah I saw that when I was doing my mock draft. And I was initially going to take him later because of it, but then I figured I’d just use common sense. No way he lasts that long, even with all of the concerns in his game and his one year of production.

That said many other places had similar negatives for him. He was prettt over the place.

DJ Moore is the WR I have watched the most - I don't believe he is near the 1. round as a prospect. 3-4 round I can agree with, maybe a similar/better Pharoh Cooper. Good with the ball in his hands, strong runner, great finisher. But he isn't very explosive, very inconsistent getoff against cornerbacks, good but not great hands, best on drag, out and in routes.

I don't see the Steve Smith comparison. Still like him as a prospect though.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I saw that when I was doing my mock draft. And I was initially going to take him later because of it, but then I figured I’d just use common sense. No way he lasts that long, even with all of the concerns in his game and his one year of production.

That said many other places had similar negatives for him. He was prettt over the place.

Iol Calvin Ridley just went from a 7.0 to a 6.8 on the site, they aren't even standing by their grades. I bet more will change right before the combine.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:48 AM, Danand said:

DJ Moore is the WR I have watched the most - I don't believe he is near the 1. round as a prospect. 3-4 round I can agree with, maybe a similar/better Pharoh Cooper. Good with the ball in his hands, strong runner, great finisher. But he isn't very explosive, very inconsistent getoff against cornerbacks, good but not great hands, best on drag, out and in routes.

I don't see the Steve Smith comparison. Still like him as a prospect though.

Just look at the highlight reel. Other than Steve Smith and Percy Harvin, I have not seen many receivers that have the same escapability factor that you see with running backs like Barry Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ray Rice... the shifty muscular types.

Receivers where they are surrounded by three big bodies and somehow they are able to squeeze through the tackles or twist their body in a way so as to wriggle out of a sure tackle. Sure guys like Michael Gallup and Christian Kirk are able to make guys miss in the open field and that’s cool. But what Moore has consistently shown in his tape is an ability, like Saquon Barkley, to be put into a seemingly unwinable situation, and make something happen regardless of the talent around him.

Moore is the perfect example of a player that plays with a lower level of QB play and makes plays to elevate his quarterback vs a guy who is a) forcefed the ball in relatively tight coverage (Anthony Miller) b) motioned constantly to allow him a free release (Christian Kirk) or c) Gets most of his yardage off of burning slower collegiate athletes deep (James Washington). Now I have nothing against the above receiver options as being solid players at the next level. But I have Gallup and Moore over all of the above options because I KNOW they can both elevate their QB play vs having to rely on being put in the right type of offense to allow their skill set to be displayed.

Upon further observation, I don’t really see the other guys elevating their QB. It’s simply kind of a tandem. Kirk had similar QB play as Moore, only with his offense moving him around to try and give him mismatch opportunities and he still didn’t produce 1000 yds receiving.

If you’ve watched so much of Moore I’m not sure how you can have him as a 3rd/4th round player, yet have others higher... unless you similarly have Washington/Miller/Kirk/etc ranked in that 3rd round range.

Joe Flacco is a solid QB. So him having receivers that can elevate his game is what he needs. Moore as a receiver, would make “Diddle Diddle” type of plays happen for our offense on a semi regular basis (maybe not quite as prophetic but still).

ray-rice-11-25-12.gif

Now go back to what Moore did against Nebraska and tell me that isn’t a similar skill set. And we already know Mornhinweg is going to utilize WR screen passes. Why not have a guy like Moore who can make plays against? He’s also shown that he can get open deep and change his route speed. With development he could become what Steve Smith became. Smith needed some development before he took off and that was at 23 years old, Moore is only 20 right now.

It’s not even like his route running sucks either, but he improves that and with his escapability factor he could easily progress to be one of the best receivers in the league. He’s also tough enough to play in the AFC North, which is my only reservation with Michael Gallup. So combine toughness and upside with Moore and that’s why I took him over Gallup... along with the Ravens likely being in closer contact with him.

47 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Joe Flacco is a solid QB. So him having receivers that can elevate his game is what he needs. Moore as a receiver, would make “Diddle Diddle” type of plays happen for our offense on a semi regular basis (maybe not quite as prophetic but still).

ray-rice-11-25-12.gif

Now go back to what Moore did against Nebraska and tell me that isn’t a similar skill set. And we already know Mornhinweg is going to utilize WR screen passes. Why not have a guy like Moore who can make plays against? He’s also shown that he can get open deep and change his route speed. With development he could become what Steve Smith became. Smith needed some development before he took off and that was at 23 years old, Moore is only 20 right now.

It’s not even like his route running sucks either, but he improves that and with his escapability factor he could easily progress to be one of the best receivers in the league. He’s also tough enough to play in the AFC North, which is my only reservation with Michael Gallup. So combine toughness and upside with Moore and that’s why I took him over Gallup... along with the Ravens likely being in closer contact with him.

I really appreciate your mocks and in many ways I believe we see the same things, our priorities are just a little different (although I am happy you squeeze in fat guys to make me happy).

I see more explosiveness in other wide receivers and like their ability to get open. Also would I be unhappy with Moore in the 2. round? I don't think so atm, but whenever I am doing mock drafts in one way or another, if Moore is there with the 2. round pick, I have other players rated higher. In the end, I think what I look after is some sort of balance and variety in the picks. If we get a Deontey Burnett (if he would fall that far) instead of Marcell Ateman, then I would not complain.

With the combination of the picks, I believe we should be pretty happy. The Ragnow and Crosby should be able to start for us almost immediately, while Moore could be worked into the rotation pretty quickly as well on screens as you suggest. Nick Chubb as the versatile back on the 1-2 down would also open up the playbook, especially if we run more 2 RB looks with Collins/Dixon as the 2. back.

Elliot is somewhat underrated thus far in the proces. I believe he will end up going higher come may, just like a taven bryan.

The rest of the guys I will take a closer look at. Especially a DB who has the potential to be a safety convert. Nick Orr could be a late round flyer, as he could be like his brother, who didn't wow anyone in college, but has the mental makeup to handle the pro game.

Okay, the Levi  Wallace cut up is actually really good. Waayyy too much early contact, but that looks like an Alabama defensive player. Physical, sound technique in press and off coverage. Handles the trail/zone concept well and plays the ball even when it is the receivers hands.

Too grappy though and not the most fluid player so I can see why he was a walk on. Don't know if he can play inside against quicker players.

Actually, I think he could be the CB/safety prospect just like Canady as you mentioned. I wonder how many flags he drew as a defender and how many times he was beat deep and on moves where he doesn't get his jam on the receiver. Don't think he could recover like a Humphrey did in college.

Edit: Watched everything I could find on the guy. He is not a late round pick, more likely a 3-4 rounder. Haven't seen his speed yet, but he could be a player where it will never be an issue because of the scheme. Seattle/Denver/New England system might fit him very well

6 hours ago, Danand said:

Okay, the Levi  Wallace cut up is actually really good. Waayyy too much early contact, but that looks like an Alabama defensive player. Physical, sound technique in press and off coverage. Handles the trail/zone concept well and plays the ball even when it is the receivers hands.

Too grappy though and not the most fluid player so I can see why he was a walk on. Don't know if he can play inside against quicker players.

Actually, I think he could be the CB/safety prospect just like Canady as you mentioned. I wonder how many flags he drew as a defender and how many times he was beat deep and on moves where he doesn't get his jam on the receiver. Don't think he could recover like a Humphrey did in college.

Edit: Watched everything I could find on the guy. He is not a late round pick, more likely a 3-4 rounder. Haven't seen his speed yet, but he could be a player where it will never be an issue because of the scheme. Seattle/Denver/New England system might fit him very well

The reason why he’s likely to go in the late rounds is because he only has one year of starter experience, isn’t a great special teamer, and as a “press corner” weighed in at under 180 lbs. I tend to agree with you about your projection of his talent, but most sites have him as a fringe draft prospect or a 6/7th round gamble because of the above concerns.

Archived