Dallas WR's ranked 18th in seperation upon release. Dak has highest QB rating in NFL throwing in tight windows.

DaBoys

:o

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915500/article/dak-prescott-matthew-stafford-among-top-10-tightwindow-qbs 

"Here are the qualifiers for the rankings:

» Next Gen Stats defines a "tight-window throw" as a throw where the intended receiver had less than a yard of separation from the defender.

» The average quarterback threw 18.6 percent of his passes into a tight window over the last two seasons.

» Only quarterbacks with over 200 pass attempts and seven-plus games played in 2017 qualified for the list (35 total players).

» The ranking was established by the quarterbacks among the 35 qualifiers who had the best rankings in the following three categories:

-- Completion rate on tight-window throws.

-- Passer rating on tight-window throws.

-- Adjusted yards per attempt on tight-window throws.

Adjusted yards per attempt is an efficiency metric that takes the traditional yards-per-attempt model a step further by rewarding the passer for touchdowns and heavily penalizing for interceptions. It also correlates with wins on the team level.

The rankings were added together to create the composite score -- for example, a player who ranked second in completion rate, fifth in passer rating and first in adjusted yards per attempt would have a composite score of 8 -- with a lower score indicating better performance. It's impossible for any stat to completely negate the influence of a quarterback's surrounding cast and measure his pure ability, but using a composite score helped alleviate those issues to a manageable degree."

#1.

PRE285723.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120
Dak Prescott
DAL.png
QB
Cowboys

Completion pct.: 45.8 (first). Passer rating: 82.1 (first). Adjusted YPA: 6.23 (fourth). 

Score: 6. 

The Cowboys floundered to a 9-7 record and missed the playoffs one year after looking like a franchise on the brink of sustained greatness. A pair of rookies were the catalyst to Dallas' 13-3 run in 2016. While one of those players (running back Ezekiel Elliott) lost six games to suspension, the other (Prescott) took a step back on the field after a marvelously efficient inaugural NFL campaign. However, Prescott's placement at the top of these rankings should help the Cowboys faithful retain some optimism. He was hyper-accurate when throwing into tight windows in 2017, leading qualifying passers in completion percentage and passer rating. Prescott actually improved his completion rate from his rookie year (42.7 percent) on a similar number of attempts (90 to 96).

Nice. Romo broke just about every passing record the Cowboys organization has. 

Result: no ring.

I'm tired of frivolous stats and useless awards being tossed our way. Coach of the year, no ring. Offensive rookie of the year, no ring. Rushing champion, no ring.

Stick em all up your  chimmney and get us a damn ring!

24 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Nice. Romo broke just about every passing record the Cowboys organization has. 

Result: no ring.

I'm tired of frivolous stats and useless awards being tossed our way. Coach of the year, no ring. Offensive rookie of the year, no ring. Rushing champion, no ring.

Stick em all up your  chimmney and get us a damn ring!

The season is over. We didn't win the SB again. Time to move on, Dave-O. Tis this season for nerdy football fans to congregate on nerdy websites, analyze our roster, and tell everyone what we think should happen. Part of that is understanding what happened. 

Anyway, this isn't a stat or a record. The write up even states that Dak regressed this year and he obviously did. But you have to recognize where he did well, if you are ever going to understand what went wrong. Stating that Dak NEEDS receivers to be wide open because he can't throw to covered receivers, and they need to be Dak friendly, and Dez is a horrible fit because he can't seperate etc...is now seriously under question in my mind. 

It doesn't absolve him from all his accuracy issues, or change his coaches, or his ability to see the field. And just because he is making tight throws doesn't mean he is making good decisions. A difficult throw doesn't mean the right throw. BUT it certainly dashes the notion that Dak can't throw to covered receivers.

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

The season is over. We didn't win the SB again. Time to move on, Dave-O. Tis this season for nerdy football fans to congregate on nerdy websites, analyze our roster, and tell everyone what we think should happen. Part of that is understanding what happened. 

Anyway, this isn't a stat or a record. The write up even states that Dak regressed this year and he obviously did. But you have to recognize where he did well, if you are ever going to understand what went wrong. Stating that Dak NEEDS receivers to be wide open because he can't throw to covered receivers, and they need to be Dak friendly, and Dez is a horrible fit because he can't seperate etc...is now seriously under question in my mind. 

It doesn't absolve him from all his accuracy issues, or change his coaches, or his ability to see the field. And just because he is making tight throws doesn't mean he is making good decisions. A difficult throw doesn't mean the right throw. BUT it certainly dashes the notion that Dak can't throw to covered receivers.

I appreciate the explanation. Thank you. This is why I believe we have to get a young fast, big TE. And it kills me to say this but did you see how open Ertz was that whole game?

It opened up everything for their offense.

In addition, a speedy WR that can actually catch??? Almost too much to ask for.

But I believe if we did that, we may be moving way away from what our strength is and trying to compete with teams that are simply better at that style of play than we would be.

Don't get me wrong, they would be valued additions, but our bread and butter is Zeke. Our offense would have the best chance of winning by keeping opposing offenses on the sidelines while we finish drives with TDs.

I just don't know if this team sees it that way. I don't believe it has any sense of itself.

If Dak is #1 throwing into tight windows what could he do with a wr who could consistently get separation?  Jarvis Landry would break the bank but I think he would be a huge win for the team and Dak.  Regardless we need an infusion of talent at the wr position.

14 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

It would sure be nice if we had WRs with speed and who can get separation down field. But, like DTs, this team doesn’t value them. At all.

If this chart says anything it's saying we need them to not get separation and be double and triple for his accuracy to skyrocket. :P

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

I'd like to see his numbers on the other side of the spectrum, but this is some good info either way. Year 3 under Dak should be interesting.

Let's do the math then.  He had a season completion % of 62.9 (308 of 490).  A league high tight window compl % of 45.8 (44 of 96). 

He threw 490 times this year. 96 of those qualified as a tight window. 

490-96= 394 passes to guys who had at least a little seperation. 

If 44 of his 308 completions were in tight windows, then 264 completions were to guys who were "NFL open."

If 52 of his 182 incompletions were tight windows, then 130 incompletions were intended for guys who were "NFL open."

Therefore, Dak was 264 of 394 or 67% to guys who had at least a full yard of seperation.  I know there were some drops, but I'm going to guess 67% to open guys is pretty low, considering some QBs hit that mark for the season. In fact, Dak would only be 5th in the league in completion % if we only counted his passes to open guys.

I wish we would just play from the freaking inside out, occasionally taking the big play downfield, and use what strengths we have.  Dak friendly WRs are Switz and Bease.  Get us a play making TE.  Run the damn football and take what the defense gives us through the air.  It's really not that difficult. 

Archived