The Lions are taking apart their running game

X_Factor_40

The Lions are taking apart their running game

3e8-mjm020718mattpatricia17jpg-ebfe28cc8

"It needs a little of everything," general manager Bob Quinn told MLive this week. "It's not going to be an easy thing to fix."

"I think I was clear in early January when I said, you know, we need a running back," he said. "Maybe not an every-down-back, because those don't really exist very much anymore. There's about five in the league. But a guy you can legitimately hand the ball off too and be really comfortable with that in any situation."

Quinn said he likes the foundation that he's set with draft picks like Taylor Decker and Graham Glasgow, and free agent pickups like T.J. Lang and Rick Wagner. He blamed injuries for some of their problems, and it's true the Lions were ravaged more than most. Their top line started just two games together, and played just 95 snaps.

"I think we have good personnel," he said. "I think there might be some changes, but the core group are going to be back at core positions, and I would hope those guys would improve. There are some veteran players, some younger players. And some of those guys had injuries last year, and obviously we were without our left tackle for half the year. If a little of each of those things improve, the whole thing is going to be better."

Lions have charted a new direction with the hiring of Jeff Davidson. A longtime offensive line coach who once coached the position in New England, Davidson has coached in various schemes over the years and is expected to play a major role in overhauling the blocking assignments.

"Jeff brings a wealth of experience," Quinn said. "Both Matt and I have a relationship with him from our time in New England, and Jeff has branched out (since then), coached different schemes and styles. So I think Matt, Jim Bob, Jeff, tight ends coach, they're all going to get on the same page about how to improve it scheme-wise."

2017 Highlghts

* No team rushed for fewer yards than the Lions

*No team rushed for fewer yards per carry than the Lions

*No team had less success than the Lions in power sets

*Abdullah was the worst RB in the league according to PFF (552 yards on the season)

*The Lions started 10 offensive line combinations

*The starting offensive line played 95 total snaps together

What are your thoughts on the run game entering this off-season?

What would you like to see changed? What would you change?

How would you fix the run game? Would you change anything along the offensive line? Who would you target to start a RB through the draft or Free Agency?

Get healthy, find an upgrade at LG or C, and bring in a downhill RB. 

I really do think that it all starts up front. Our current RB’s are far from great, but unless you have a generational talent like Barry Sanders, it all depends on the play of your linemen. 

I see the team bringing in a guy to start on the interior through free agency and adding a cheap veteran back the same way, with RB and a versatile lineman coming somewhere in rounds 2-5. 

I think Swansons concussion situation is going to dictate what we do with the OL. Otherwise, I see us keeping our top OL in tact. Decker-Glasgow-Swason-Lang-Wagner. They only played 2 games as a unit due to injuries.

Our RB corp needs to be changed. I love Abdullah, but he's not an every down back and he's not very good running north/south. Riddick is more of a slot receiver tbh. For some reason we absolutely refuse to play Zenner. I wouldn't mind signing a FA and spending a high draft pick on the position.

We need a new interior no doubt.

Lang won't make it

Be a joke to resign Swanson

Glasgow is avg at this point

I think they should go after a fb and at least try that in the preseason..

Also gotta get out of shotgun so much or it will never work. You can see the run a mile away... gotta play more under Center. Even if you think your making it obvious 

I believe you leave Glasgow at C and find a nasty, tough guard, whether in FA or the draft (Norwell may be a bit out of our price range).  You will then need some quality depth.  I think Quinn has started to do that.  Just need to keep adding.  Then you add a couple RBs.  The draft is loaded and there are some intriguing FAs(Crowell, Hyde) that can help.  Scheme is the 3rd component.  Utilize the skills of your O-line, trapping, pulling guards, etc.   That's how you build a running game.

I don't think you can count on Swanson at OC. Assume Glasgow fills that role. Draft a LG in rounds 2-3 and add another piece late. Bring in some better depth through FA. Add a RB in FA and in the draft (Round 4). I'd like to see us trade Abdullah to get some extra draft capital. If we can manage a 5th we could grab a guy to eventually replace Lang.

A healthy group + increased depth + better talent at RB + improved scheme = what should be an improved rushing attack. We don't need a top 10 run game. If we can get it to 20th then defenses will have to account for it opening up PA opportunities. It would also help us in red zone and 3rd-and-short conversions.

I know that Blount had been rumoured to Detroit last year and he obviously wound up with the Eagles. Does anyone recall what was up with that? I thought he would have been a great fit for us and given us the type of RB we sorely needed.

The blame for the lack of execution in the running game doesn't fall solely on the running backs; everybody played a role in this. The o-line, running backs, coaches, all need to do a better job for this to get better. If we can just not be one of the worst teams at running the football in 2018 then that's all we need in order to make the playoffs, it's that simple.

Theo Riddick- Theo Riddick is a stud receiving back and needs to continue to see targets in the passing game and occasional carries in the run game. He's a better receiving back than actual running back and i'm sure many would agree on this.

Ameer Abdullah- He has a lot of skill and potential but i think his time in Detroit may be coming to a close. Whether it was the pressure of being a feature back,  the nagging injuries, or overall lack of support,  he just hasn't produced the way he should have up to this point.  

Tion Green- He's a good rotational player but he's not the answer. He's good for depth.

One way or another we need to address the running back position whether it's in FA or the draft, or both.

11 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think you can count on Swanson at OC. Assume Glasgow fills that role. Draft a LG in rounds 2-3 and add another piece late. Bring in some better depth through FA. Add a RB in FA and in the draft (Round 4). I'd like to see us trade Abdullah to get some extra draft capital. If we can manage a 5th we could grab a guy to eventually replace Lang.

A healthy group + increased depth + better talent at RB + improved scheme = what should be an improved rushing attack. We don't need a top 10 run game. If we can get it to 20th then defenses will have to account for it opening up PA opportunities. It would also help us in red zone and 3rd-and-short conversions.

I know that Blount had been rumoured to Detroit last year and he obviously wound up with the Eagles. Does anyone recall what was up with that? I thought he would have been a great fit for us and given us the type of RB we sorely needed.

I can’t imagine any team being willing to give up draft assets for Abdullah. He was the worst  RB in the league according to PFF. If I was a GM I wouldn’t give up a pick for him. I’ve read that Emmanuel Sanders is rumored to be valued around a 4th on the market. Using that rumor as a benchmark, there’s just no way Abdullah gets a 5th. If they can get something for him then I’d take it and run, but I don’t see it. I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets cut. If they keep him in 2018 for the last year on his deal, his cap hit is only $1.3 million. 

I’d like to take a RB early in the draft, but I’m likely dreaming a dream that won’t come true. 

Not sure what’s up with Blount, but he’s a FA. His cap hit for the Eagles last year was $1.2 million. He’s not someone I’m real excited about, but he’d be a nice veteran depth guy who would fill a role.

The oline coach is responsible for the run game. With Jeff Davidson on board they will have a different scheme. Quinn’s personnel statements were revealing. He named every starting lineman except Swanson. Foreshadowing? An oversight? 

This is a tough draft to figure out for the Lions. The only positions I would rule out are QB, WR, K, P.

During free agency I would add a N/S running back and a quality OG OC preferably a player that can play both positions. They would serve as quality mentors and eventual back ups if I missed my targeted players. 

I would have RB on my list at 20. Saquon Barkley is the best of the crop but obviously won’t be available to the Lions. If I’m Cleveland I’m taking him with the first pick. But, it is Cleveland so they will take a QB. Perhaps Barkley will fall to the 6 or 7 range at which point perhaps it’s reasonable to move up. After Barkley there’s a number of RBs with potential but none that differentiates himself so I would revisit it in the second round. I really like Guice but not enough to spend the Lions pick. 

How does everyone else see Guice?

On the line I like Billy Price. He’s a tough kid that offers position flexibility. If available, I’m taking him, unless one of the two DT I like are available. 

Round two. If available Guice. If not BPA. 

Round 3 there should be a quality RB available. Penny, Chubb, Freeman. I haven’t looked at projections in a few weeks but there are so many good, not great RBs in this draft that one of them will be available. 

Round four is where I’m looking at guards again.

its going to be an interesting period of free agency. The draft should also be great. What will the Browns do? Will they take a QB at one? Or, Barkley, some other player knowing they still get a QB at 4? I don’t see a clear QB choice really. So why not wait till 4?

its going to be interesting.

Nobody says anything about needing secondary depth.. who do we have there? No depth.. I have secondary above trying to figure when to take a rb..imo we don't need the top running back. Be nothing like drafting a first rd rb to see him maybe get 10 carries...are D needs a lot imo. Fix the line see how it goes 

39 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Nobody says anything about needing secondary depth.. who do we have there? No depth.. I have secondary above trying to figure when to take a rb..imo we don't need the top running back. Be nothing like drafting a first rd rb to see him maybe get 10 carries...are D needs a lot imo. Fix the line see how it goes 

You make a valid point. It’s certainly another area of concern. If a substantial CB was available I’m sure he would be considered. Many of these scenarios are, as you know, dependant on free agency. Some needs might have a lower priority following signings.

Personally I see the secondary as less of a concern than the defensive line and running game. As for the first round running backs, I really only see 1 back I would want in the first and the Lions aren’t getting him. 

Which secondary players available in the draft do you like? In what round?

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

You make a valid point. It’s certainly another area of concern. If a substantial CB was available I’m sure he would be considered. Many of these scenarios are, as you know, dependant on free agency. Some needs might have a lower priority following signings.

Personally I see the secondary as less of a concern than the defensive line and running game. As for the first round running backs, I really only see 1 back I would want in the first and the Lions aren’t getting him. 

Which players available in the draft do you like? In what round?

I agree with DH here. I would say RB, DL and LB need more help than the secondary. DL would be at the top of the list for me.

28 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Which players available in the draft do you like? In what round?

For me it defense period..i like a lot of players. You talking rbs? Nm I see you said secondary...its a big list..imma do a mock after the combine maybe you could comment on

My eyes don't even open for rbs until like the forth rd..

Why wouldn't you fix the line before drafting a rb in the first couple rounds.. maybe they do in free agency. Sorry but it seems silly how bad people want a rb over several areas with bigger impact imo. Forcing a rb in expecting him to be a 1000 back behind this line is definitely wishful thinking imo. So it feels like your looking for a guy in short yardage situations not really want us spending a top pick on.

For me it's dl,dbs,ol,lb then rb

20 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I agree with DH here. I would say RB, DL and LB need more help than the secondary. DL would be at the top of the list for me.

Who are the cornerbacks? Let's say Lawson leaves..you feel comfortable with teams throwing three wideouts in against us 4? We will be picked apart idc how many Dts you draft. Jmo

3 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Who are the cornerbacks? Let's say Lawson leaves..you feel comfortable with teams throwing three wideouts in against us 4? We will be picked apart idc how many Dts you draft. Jmo

Why is Lawson leaving? 

I didn’t say I feel comfortable with the secondary but there is young players there with potential. I feel better about the secondary than I do about DL, RB and LB. heck I’d probably say secondary would be even with OL at this point. 

Im not saying don’t address it, if there’s a great looking CB/S prospect at one of our early picks I wouldn’t be against it. However, if there’s a great RB, DL or LB there I’d rank them above it.

Archived